• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the price of Mountain House, Saratoga Farms, etc. risen drastically the last few weeks. I am seeing the same stuff I bought in August for $5 to $7 more per can now.

Maybe I just caught it at the right time.
    Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Man I hope not I have more to buy but I won't have the money till January

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'm not buying freeze-dried foods because they're extremely expensive (on my budget). This spring I hope to have several raised beds installed and maybe an aquaponic setup. Several fruit and nut tress plus berry bushes too. By the time I'm ready to harvest, I'll have learned to can.

BUT... my situation may be different than most. I have no family here and my health is failing. I have no inclination to try and survive an 'apocalyptic event' and the insanity that follows. But maybe this is just the depressed cynic in me talking.:)

EDIT: Then again, after all that expense, I could probably buy enough freeze-dried foods to survive the rest of my feeble life AND it would be much easier.:(

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I'm not buying freeze-dried foods because they're extremely expensive (on my budget). This spring I hope to have several raised beds installed and maybe an aquaponic setup. Several fruit and nut tress plus berry bushes too. By the time I'm ready to harvest, I'll have learned to can.

BUT... my situation may be different than most. I have no family here and my health is failing. I have no inclination to try and survive an 'apocalyptic event' and the insanity that follows. But maybe this is just the depressed cynic in me talking.:)

EDIT: Then again, after all that expense, I could probably buy enough freeze-dried foods to survive the rest of my feeble life AND it would be much easier.:(

Yeah, but canning gives purpose. Much more involved, plus it's fun.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    AT my age, freeze dried food will be a one time purchase, since it has a long shelf life around 25 years. As with ammo, I have run out of space to store it tho. Not that I have that much, just short on indoor space.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Mountain House freeze dried foods now come in single serving packages. About $5 bucks each.

The bigger problem is: Do you have enough water and a heat source to boil that water to rehydrate and cook those freeze dried foods?

Be well.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Mountain House freeze dried foods now come in single serving packages. About $5 bucks each.

The bigger problem is: Do you have enough water and a heat source to boil that water to rehydrate and cook those freeze dried foods?

Be well.

I do have Coleman gas and propane stoves with a pretty good supply of fuel for each. I've got about 80 gallons of water stored and a couple water purifiers.

I have a combination of the single serving pouches and #10 cans in the Mountain House brand. And OvaEasy egg crystals and Yoder's canned bacon and B&M canned bread. Plus the regular canned food we have in the house.

I figure it's enough for 3-4 weeks at least. After that, well, I'm hurting. Might have to eat the cat. :)

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Sorry but 80 gallons of H2O ain't nothin'. One needs several thousand gallons plus ways to treat and renew the supply. If one wants to rely on Coleman stoves then they'd better have a 1000 gallon tank out back. Of course, this is if one has a family he wants to keep alive for years and if they're in a warm climate. And this barely scratches the surface. Me? It just doesn't matter anymore. If I can get by a few months of hardship that's fine. A long-term apocalypse... forget about it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm with Mike on not surviving the post apocalypse craziness. When a person gets to age 69, what flipping difference does it make?

The choices are 1) To live on your knees. or 2) To die on your feet. No one gets outta here alive and ass kissing won't extend life one additional minute!

Mike is also right about water requirements. Water consumption in this tiny house with only Jake and I living here is 60-70 gallons per day.

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Agreed. At 67 years, I'm not in it for the long haul. I'm just prepping for the short term natural or man made disasters when food, water, and electricity will not be available. You can get by on 1 to 2 gallons of water per day per person for drinking, cooking, and hygiene. There will be no toilet flushing, washing clothes, showering, or lawn watering.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Figure three to five gallons of water per person per day for hydration, cooking, bathing, and washing dishes in a temperate climate. Double that for arid regions.

That has always been the long pole in the tent from time immemorial.

Be well.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I was listening to am 870 & heard an ad for a freeze-drying setup you can purchase & use at home. I wonder if it would be able to pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time?
    Some of what you might normally can, freeze-dry instead?

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013

EDIT: Then again, after all that expense, I could probably buy enough freeze-dried foods to survive the rest of my feeble life AND it would be much easier.

:(

If I may offer you something you havn't considered. The very things you posted as to what you're doing, planting, aquaponics, etc. Is knowledge that, assuming there is a catastrophic event, which would need to be passed along. This in addition to whatever knowledge you possess from whatever career field, or fields, you worked in over the course of your life.

This should NOT be taken as a criticism of your thoughts, or even more so commentary on your health situation. I know nothing about your situation & to do so would be impolite on my part. However those amongst us who because they are advanced in thier age think they have run short of reasons to keep going in the face of a catastrophic event, I believe have an incorrect perspective on things. In terms of having something to offer, it is my contention those who are older have in some ways a great deal to offer in terms of the knowledge they possess and the ability to preserve it by passing it on.
    Right now? Yes that is being ignored by people, things go sideways in this country and watch that change very quickly out of sheer need. I suspect too many people think that because they are not capable of running through the woods with the 20-somethings and doing the 'shoot-em-up' means they are screwed.
    In a long-term event, it is the more advanced age individuals I worry about as they possess the patience and the wisdom to go along with thier knowdlege. Especially if they've spent time in the woods or perhaps had time in the military and possess that kind've experience to go along with the rest of it.

Just some food for thought which hopefully presents a constructive perspective on things.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I was listening to am 870 & heard an ad for a freeze-drying setup you can purchase & use at home. I wonder if it would be able to pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time?
    Some of what you might normally can, freeze-dry instead?

https://harvestright.com/store/

These freeze dryers seem fairly expensive, but still considerably less than a commercial setup. Price is around $3350, which is a lot of Mountain House #10 cans. But, you still have to buy the food, jars, bags, and oxygen absorbers. Factor in you time and electricity consumed too. And, think, for meat products, you would have to cook it first.

So, unless there are cheaper machines, it seems to me like it would take a long time to just break even.

And if you are really, really, interested in home freeze drying, here is a 3 part, rather long review of the Harvest Right machines: http://survivalblog.com/harvest-right-freeze-dryer-part-1-by-hjl/

More info: https://harvestright.com/why-its-better/

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Although heat dehydration isn't optimal, it's far cheaper and simpler than any factory-made freeze drying system. That stated, I've seen plans for DIY freeze driers that could be scaled up to usable size. My feeble brain and lame body aren't up to the task of building something like that... not to mention my lousy attitude. My point is, if I was going to dry my own foods they would be heat dried and I'd probably build a very simple solar setup.

If I had family depending on me and many years ahead to go then I'd be more inclined to do some serious work here. That's just not the case. I think I'll just buy about three months worth of assorted freeze-dried goods and not worry about it... probably won't bother with any other property improvements either because I can't reap the benefits for long and my son doesn't care about it. Whatever I have left here after I die will be stolen by a neighbor or two or three or four anyway.

Top Bottom