• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    With primers approaching 10 cents each, it time to break out the flintlocks.
    3C2AC2BE-4539-4297-BDFB-998C522A0F2C.jpeg

Attachments

• 3C2AC2BE-4539-4297-BDFB-998C522A0F2C.jpeg
      3C2AC2BE-4539-4297-BDFB-998C522A0F2C.jpeg
      2.9 MB · Views: 851

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Eeek! Those aren't even the final sell prices! Both of them have time left to go up even more. I'd say components will come around again soon but I have a feeling the manufacturer's would sooner load them up to sell as over priced ammo instead.

Years ago I did a small rifle primer test vs small pistol primer test. All loaded into 9mm cartridges. The results were interesting, with same charges, brass and bullet seating depth the small rifle primers had no significant difference in fps or ability to ignite in a pistol and actually produced a slightly lower SD.

There are plenty of opinions on why not to do it but in a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate. As long as your not pushing the envelope powder wise, they will work just fine. They are technically the same diameter, they seated fine and all went bang, not in a bad way.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I reload with a Lee classic turret. I have about 13K small pistol primers. Probably enough to last through this crisis. You all know the Boy Scout motto?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Primers are going to take a while to come back although the upcoming imports will help manufacturers I doubt they trickle down.

Be careful substituting SR for SP if they are designed for military like the CCI 42s. They need a solid strike and are of a magnum strength. Softies like Fed, Win, or Rem are better based on my testing.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I got an in stock notification on CCI SPP a few days ago from Midway, jumped on it and got 5k that I am splitting with the OP.
    They were out of stock within minutes

I got an i stock notification on Winchester SPP last night around midnight, sold out i the morning when i checked.

Found a reloading/ gun shop in my area with magnum SPP and SRP bit they have a 200 daily limit.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I got an in stock notification on CCI SPP a few days ago from Midway, jumped on it and got 5k that I am splitting with the OP.
    They were out of stock within minutes

I got an i stock notification on Winchester SPP last night around midnight, sold out i the morning when i checked.

Found a reloading/ gun shop in my area with magnum SPP and SRP bit they have a 200 daily limit.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    Saw a post about the Winchester primers at Midway on FB last night.

When I saw it again today it was from 17 hours ago. Guys were posting "sold out" 17 hours ago too.

Didn't seem to last long.

Top Bottom