• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JuanGrande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Where are you located? I have a factory barrel and wood stock I would part with. I put an aftermarket barrel and Magpul stock on mine. Sure we can work something out.

College Station but make frequent trips to Waco area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JuanGrande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    I am willing to bet that barrel is still shootable. Clean it up and look for pitting. If you see crisp unbroken rifling, just shoot it

I have been spraying Kroil down the barrel from each end to loosen the dauber mud. Slow process. I break up the mud with a ramrod and can just hear the sand grinding. We shall see what she looks like in a few more days of soaking.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I think @Hoji has it right. The bore will probably be good enough to shoot well. Go over the outside with some oil and bronze wool and you'll be surprised

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I found a rusty 10/22 in the chicken house left there by my dad who passed away this summer. Barrel has a dirt dobber mud nest plugged on the muzzle end. The barrel is pretty rusty and the action ain’t great.
    What would y’all do with such a rifle? Put another cheap take-off barrel on it? Scrap it? Something else? Looking for ideas.
    Clean it up, fix what needs to be fixed to shoot safely, and keep it.

We have my dad's Remington .22 rifle from the 40s-50s. My brother took it it a gunsmith to check it out after my dad passed away. The gunsmith found the only thing wrong with it was the spring on the feed ramp had been replaced with a twig and a piece of cloth.

We figured my dad got the rifle as a teenager cheaply because the feed ramp did not work and he fixed it with materials at hand. All four of us kids learned to shoot with that rifle and my brother still has it.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’m gonna bet that barrel is fine too. If not I’m local and can part with a stock and barrel.

When you get that thing running we can even hit the range.

JuanGrande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Haven’t been. Would like to go out to Cawthon Cartridge Club one of these days. From my house Marksman is just as far or further. You’re still in the area?

I’ve been to Marksmen once and it was quite some time ago. Do they have a 100 yard rifle range anymore? I seem to recall when I was there they didn’t.
    Usually go to a friends private range nowadays.

Patience0830

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    FreeStateuv IN
    Clean it up. Shoot it as is, if possible. Keep any parts you have to replace to make it functional.
    Then, harvest a squirrel or rabbit with it and grill it over an open fire and make a big deal of it with kids/grandkids/relatives.
    Your dad would be proud.
    That's the way I'd want it...
    Do NOT grill a squirrel over an open fire w/o parboiling for at least an hour and fifteen minutes. You only try fire grilled squirrel once. You waste more calories trying to chew it than you get from it.

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    yeah my dad found 2 of my uncles guns hidden away in vacuum cleaner bag on the vacuum. needless to say were a rusty mess, he soaked them things in motor oil for days, submerged in it, think that helped a lot, 1 was ultra cheap one so was a goner, the other cleaned up pretty good and everything is tight, before dad passed I got it. just my uncles so hanging onto it.

Top Bottom