• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Helped a family friend cull this 6-pointer last week in SW Texas. Project325 was kind enough to lend me his 1942 Mosin Nagant 91/30. Clean shot through the shoulder using irons from about 75 yards. He ran about 100 yards and keeled over. This is my second deer; first buck. And boy do I like that rifle!
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    How old would you say your cull buck is? Did you age it?
    Just by looking at it the deer looks 1.5 or 2.5. But wIth a pic it is hard to tell.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    How old would you say your cull buck is? Did you age it?
    Just by looking at it the deer looks 1.5 or 2.5. But wIth a pic it is hard to tell.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say 2.5 or 3.5. You can't really tell from the photo, but he had a fairly thick neck, slight dip in the back and the tarsal glands were very dark. He's kind of small, but he wasn't proportioned like a yearling. I have no idea how to age by looking at teeth, so I didn't try that.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Okay, follow-up question. I got the meat and antlers back from the processor today (Took a while because the processor is out in southwest TX and I don't get out there often). I asked him to just cut off the antlers so I could use them for rattling, as I didn't see much worth in mounting them. Well, today I found out I have the antlers still attached to the skull cap, with hair and skin, too. My wife convinced me that it would be nice to have the cap and antlers mounted to put in our sons room. So, my question is, what's the best way to remove the skin and hair, and clean up the cap and antlers? I've read about boiling, borax, bleach, and submerging in a bass pond (though not all at the same time). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    knife. when you get the majority of the stuff off, use a grinder and dremel tool for the finishing touch.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Ya gotta love Mosins, so easy to shoot and repair...little Russian cartoon people can do it!

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Top Bottom