• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Don't believe him. It is the worst. No good BBQ in the big town. In fact no good restaurants at all. Best stay home rather than travel to this horrible horrible little town in the hill country.

I find it very amusing that one of my favorite CFS's is at a German Restaurant. (Auslanders)
    ARJ Defense ad

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I find it very amusing that one of my favorite CFS's is at a German Restaurant. (Auslanders)
    Yes, but... They only have it as a lunch special on Fridays now about once per month. Another humorous part of the big town. At the other end of Town is Friedhelms Bavarian Inn. The CFS is on the "lighter" menu.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Don't believe him. It is the worst. No good BBQ in the big town. In fact no good restaurants at all. Best stay home rather than travel to this horrible horrible little town in the hill country.

You either have no taste in bbq or ulterior motives! Probably should steer them clear of Emma+Ollie as well. The baked goods there are full of arsenic.

I miss Cranky Frank’s. Not the latest iteration but the original pitmaster that passed away years before the divorce. Their brisket was the best I’ve ever had.

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You either have no taste in bbq or ulterior motives! Probably should steer them clear of Emma+Ollie as well. The baked goods there are full of arsenic.

I miss Cranky Frank’s. Not the latest iteration but the original pitmaster that passed away years before the divorce. Their brisket was the best I’ve ever had.

W

Might want to recalibrate your sarcasm meter.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg

W

You are correct, the sarcasm font was turned off.

Yeah, not sure what is going to happen to Cranky's. Currently it is boarded up but het sign is staill out front. It was really good back in the day, the latest owners not so much. Rumor has it that the Scripps family bought it to make it into something. No one is sure what.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    TipBledsoe,

SC BBQ is a contradiction in terms. - While it is from SC, it's surely is NOT anything like real BBQ.
    (My adopted family is from Maysville in Spartanburg County.)

Btw, I knew Maurice, "The King of Yellow Mustard Sauce" when I lived there.

Btw, every time that I go "home", I'm immediately asked when I'm going to cook a hog. = My whole hog is cooked over GREEN HICKORY, PECAN or PEACH wood & served WITH sauce but NOT with it slathered on it.
    (Between my niece Kathleen & I, we have been known to feed MAYSVILLE.)

yours, satx

satx,

One's preference and taste for BBQ, like so many other things, are a matter of perspective and personal originality. Your definition of "real BBQ" is obviously different than mine, but that doesn't make either of us wrong.

And, by the way, if you're basing your view of SC BBQ on Maurice''s BBQ, it is of no wonder that you have your low esteem for SC BBQ. Marice's BBQ is the "Bill Miller's BBQ" of Columbia SC - the self-proclaimed best; when in reality is nearly the worst.

yours, Tip

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    satx,

One's preference and taste for BBQ, like so many other things, are a matter of perspective and personal originality. Your definition of "real BBQ" is obviously different than mine, but that doesn't make either of us wrong.

And, by the way, if you're basing your view of SC BBQ on Maurice''s BBQ, it is of no wonder that you have your low esteem for SC BBQ. Marice's BBQ is the "Bill Miller's BBQ" of Columbia SC - the self-proclaimed best; when in reality is nearly the worst.

yours, Tip

TipBledsoe,

Because I have "adopted family" in Spartanburg County, Charleston & in some other SC places, I've eaten what (IMO, mistakenly) is identified as "REAL SC BBQ" in a bunch of locations there.

ONE definition of "BBQ" in SC (that I've heard from several natives) is that "BBQ is anything cooked outdoors", including hot-dogs/hamburgers/Sloppy Joes.

Thinking on "SC BBQ", my LEAST favorite is "BBQ Hash", which to me alone looks like "something eaten once, thrown up & put back out on the table" a 2nd time.

FWIW, when my adopted niece (Kathleen) & I are both "on the plantation", near Maysville OR are at the family's beach-house on Oak Island, NC & "the word gets out", we always start getting calls/emails/texts from friends/neighbors/inlaws/outlaws asking the 2 of us, "When are you going to cook a whole hog??"
    (OBVIOUSLY at least SOME SC folks know what BBQ is.)

just my opinions, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    What round for bar-b-que?

Moonpie,

At least a 9.3X62mm or .375 H&H or a more powerful Dangerous Game Rifle OR perhaps an ITHACA ROADBLOCKER, loaded with heavy shot..
    A "wise person" would not want to be "under-gunned" when it comes to BBQ.
    (CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    You are correct, the sarcasm font was turned off.

Yeah, not sure what is going to happen to Cranky's. Currently it is boarded up but het sign is staill out front. It was really good back in the day, the latest owners not so much. Rumor has it that the Scripps family bought it to make it into something. No one is sure what.

What’s good on Mondays? I’ll be there tomorrow and my favorite places are closed on that day.

W

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    What’s good on Mondays? I’ll be there tomorrow and my favorite places are closed on that day.

W

Well I might be a bit late, but depends on what yo like. Some good German at Auslander, Burger Burger for a burger, After that it is things like Mamacitas ( soso TEx Mex) and Panda Chinese. Wednesdays have more selection

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Hey Fishkiller, I went through Fredericksburg a few years ago on a motorcycle trip. I stopped in a place on Main Street and ate some decent chili. But the big winner was the cornbread. They brought out a slab of cornbread that was at least 6” square and it was great.

I can’t remember the name of the place. Is there a place there that’s famous for serving huge portions of cornbread?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom