Hurley's Gold

Folders (folding knives). What's Your Favorite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Figured we need some more stickie'd pic threads! Considering knives seem to be in the news a bit more lately, figured we need some more stickie'd pic threads! For those that don't know, the recent HB1935 Texas Knife Law Reform Bill was just passed by the Texas Senate recently, so it's now off to the governor. Fingers crossed!

So what are your favorite folders? Post AS MANY pics as you'd like, as that's what this thread is for. If our luck holds true and the bill is signed by the governor, will you be making any changes in what type of folding knife you carry? What about a double-edged blade? How about a ridiculously long folder over the traditional 5.5" limit?

I'll start the thread with a pic of my favorite. It's the CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken (ONK), designed by James Williams. The best description I ever heard of it was, "It's a singular-purpose tool..." ;) I quite like that. This particular one is menacing in its appearance. The grip is abnormally long, which is great for dexterity and handling. The blade, in the fairly traditional, Japanese, osoraku style is very aggressive. Anyways, feast your eyes!

CRKT ONK.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    love whatever kershaw I have.

needs to be
    quad carry (i carry tip up)
    frame lock
    hinderer

mine was $20 or $30. Fast open, secure lock, soft enough to resharpen, cheap enough to lose or replace as needed.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    5 to 10 bucks each at a local auction. Usually the ones looking like this are from Pakistan. This is Chinese. Long slender blade of stainless, stainless and wood body. This one won't be carried as they failed to cut a notch in the blade for opening. Would have to carry pliers to open if in a hurry. Acts like a lock blade but isn't. No plastic or liner lock
    2017-06-11 03.41.01.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am not a big knife guy. I always carry two and see their utility but by no means collect them or own high dollar versions.

I used to carry a CRKT M16 and really liked it. I lost it years ago and was at a big box hardware store and picked up what I thought was a temporary cheap replacement.

The replacement soon became my new favorite. This one was $15 and came with a folding drywall knife which is very handy also.

It has a serrated section, has a drop point, and is just the right thickness. All features I look for in a main pocket knife. Even for a cheap knife it holds an edge well, locks up tight, and the screws have never come loose.

My backup knife is a Leatherman Supertool and I will always have that handy too.

88612b1f06e65013b57ed0bd65a1db49.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have several of the Applegate/Fairbairn knives from the full size to the Covert. The latest and favorite is the new model Covert assisted opening knife. It's very special as it was a gift from a dear friend.

Flash

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Want to tell a good Cop story. Went to Jury duty, forgot to leave my really nice blue wood stained blade in the car. This was before active searching. We were actually standing up against the wall waiting to be seated by the Constables. They asked one more time if anybody had a weapon. Then I remembered. I quietly palmed the pocket knife to the officer apologizing for forgetting. He looked at the blade and me then put it in his pocket. The day went on forever and I had chalked up the knife as my loss for not remembering. Got assigned to a court and was leaving with my group. Cop comes up and gives me the knife, says not to take it out and clean my fingernails or anything. I got my knife back. Made the rest of the day passable. Don't know if he pegged me as a brother but I never said a word. A good guy did a good thing. Of course I lost it later but I still have its big brother.

TXSWFAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Dallas
    IMG_1561.JPG
    The Russians have been killing it. Both are Shirogorov 111s. One made with Elmax, the other with M390. These are big folders with the blades at 4 5/8" and 9 7/8" OAL.

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    The knife I carry every day (and have since middle school!) is a Victorinox Tinker. (Stock image)
    8868161552414_celum_129756_560Wx490H.jpg

It's the perfect knife for me as I use some part of the knife nearly every day. The only way it could be more perfect is if the main blade had a locking mechanism that didn't add to the size of the knife or any significant weight.

I have it's big brother the Trekker (with the locking blade and saw) but it's much larger and heavier, so not something I want to carry around in my pocket on a daily basis.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The knife I carry every day (and have since middle school!) is a Victorinox Tinker. (Stock image)
    8868161552414_celum_129756_560Wx490H.jpg

It's the perfect knife for me as I use some part of the knife nearly every day. The only way it could be more perfect is if the main blade had a locking mechanism that didn't add to the size of the knife or any significant weight.

I have it's big brother the Trekker (with the locking blade and saw) but it's much larger and heavier, so not something I want to carry around in my pocket on a daily basis.

I use to carry a SOG utility when I was a DOD weldor for the Navy, it had a sheath and kept it on my belt. I think I actually used the needle nose more than the knife blade. But now I am most always near other tools. I still have the SOG in my toolbox.

One thing I do like very much about the ZT I carry now is that I can pull it out, open the blade and cut with one hand.

Top Bottom