• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I need a good FM receiver to connect to my amplifier. I remember the FM tuners you could get years ago. I hear that the new digital ones are not as good as the old analog ones. Anyone have any suggestions on a good FM tuner with standard RCA stereo audio out jacks?
    Lynx Defense

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I'm running an ONKYO TX 8270, not sure you would need the built in amp though since you already have one, it does have plenty of RCA connections which is what attracted me to it. I'm running it through an old BSR EQ-3000 from the 80's and then into my PC with Sound Blaster PC card. I can further tune the sound from my PC and play all of my music from there. I will agree though, compared to my old JVC from back in the day it seems something is different, or is it that my hearing has changed since I've aged? Anyway, getting great sound from it, had it about three years now without any issues. Amazon shows good pictures of the back panel.

e0vegnh.jpg

I love old EQ's, got super lucky and found this one on e-Bay in mint condition. Just got to have an EQ.
    5z2a4sv.jpg

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I will agree though, compared to my old JVC from back in the day it seems something is different, or is it that my hearing has changed since I've aged?

Yes and yes.

Despite the hearing losses due to aging, the electronics of today are heavily using ICs instead of transistors and tubes, which put out more pleasing harmonic complexity. The ICs are much too clean, and digital processing clips and averages, further destroying fine sound reproduction.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Yes and yes.

Despite the hearing losses due to aging, the electronics of today are heavily using ICs instead of transistors and tubes, which put out more pleasing harmonic complexity. The ICs are much too clean, and digital processing clips and averages, further destroying fine sound reproduction.

Just like vintage guitar amps sound better than the new ones. Back in the day all you needed was a set of JVC 15's connected to a simple two channel receiver and boom, kick arse!

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I love those old EQ's as well. That is a nice one you have there. Might have to a little looking around for that one.
    There's quite a few on evil bay, some asking for way too much as usual, I paid right around $130.00 for mine several years ago. You just got to hope that the one you get is in working order, that's the chance you take with vintage gear, Would like to find an old tape deck to go along with it one of these days.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes and yes.

Had old Sol Marantz tube preamp and power amp (Model 7?, can't recall the other) made in probably the early 60's. Had to sell during hard times a few decades ago. :(

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Holy crap, I had that EQ way back when. Got it straight from DAK. Drew Allen Kaplan. Why do I remember that? No clue lol.

I totally remember DAK!

I built a radio from HealthKit when I was a kid…remember those guys?

Build your own electronics…super cool back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I've had two recent Yamaha rcvrs that suffered various failures in quick order... they're not making them like they used to. And sound was just ok but I'm not very demanding any more. I bought them for TV Surround Sound, which I no longer use... it's too much for da wife.

The last rcvr before the Yamahas was an Onkyo with transistor output finals. It's still in working order in my stepson's shop/mancave. And the one before that was a wonderful Pioneer that I bought new in the early 70s that was all transistor. I powered some big speakers with it, and even used it for the CW dance classes the wife and I taught. It finally pooped out and I miss it. And my Marantz turntable, and JBL floor model bass reflex speakers.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Anyone want a couple Carver amps? I have two sitting on the shelf that I haven't used in literally decades.

One M4.0t and one AV-64. The CT-17 preamp/tuner I used with 'em is long gone, though.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Personally I can’t tell the difference in digital or the old hi fi tube receivers. I really like actual knobs on the tune and volume though

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Anyone want a couple Carver amps? I have two sitting on the shelf that I haven't used in literally decades.

One M4.0t and one AV-64. The CT-17 preamp/tuner I used with 'em is long gone, though.

Ok so now you have my attention…
    What’s the condition of the M4.0t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Would like to find an old tape deck to go along with it one of these days.

I've been looking at them as well. Found a few cassettes from I would like to convert to digital. I find plenty used one's out there, just waiting for the right local deal to come around. Funny how things seem to go from everyday items you don't really think much about and slowly stop using one day, to being listed as "vintage" and sometimes priced accordingly.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Ok so now you have my attention…
    What’s the condition of the M4.0t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A couple superficial marks, but otherwise in very good condition. It's also the earlier and pretty rarely seen dark grey finish, rather than the more common silver finish like the TFM series.

ETA: I also have the factory service manual for it, with complete schematics.

Top Bottom