• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    feds will develop an insurance program, similar to National Flood Insurance Program.

Maybe, maybe not.

Auto, like property, is regulated at the state level. Some states may decide to require EV coverage as a matter of being allowed to do business in that state for ay line of insurance. That may result in premiums being so high that EV owners and prospective owners decide the market ain’t worth it and move on to another state or car type. With a shrinking pool, premiums have to go higher.

In other scenarios, some insurers may stop insuring EVs, write limited policies (exclude liability for certain events) or exit a state market entirely.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Electric cars catching on fire because of water. Water won’t put out fire because of water, which is supposed to put out fire….
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I wouldn't want to try that while it's on fire!
    It might not be a big deal, but I haven’t even seen So much as a video of it being used on a car that was actually on fire to know for sure how it would go.
    How long until the electric car becomes uninsurable? Horror stories persist.
    The greenies can only hide so long...
    I can already hear the loonie lefties. “Auto insurance is a human right!”

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    It might not be a big deal, but I haven’t even seen So much as a video of it being used on a car that was actually on fire to know for sure how it would go.

I can already hear the loonie lefties. “Auto insurance is a human right!”
    Stupidity is a human right, but I shouldn't be made to pay for one's choice to be stupid.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Maybe, maybe not.

Auto, like property, is regulated at the state level. Some states may decide to require EV coverage as a matter of being allowed to do business in that state for ay line of insurance. That may result in premiums being so high that EV owners and prospective owners decide the market ain’t worth it and move on to another state or car type. With a shrinking pool, premiums have to go higher.

In other scenarios, some insurers may stop insuring EVs, write limited policies (exclude liability for certain events) or exit a state market entirely.
    …or they could spread the risk out among all drivers, whether EV or ICE.

dg47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    New Braunfels, tx
    Aside from fire, the cars don't pencil out for me. I don't drive enough with cheap gas prices to have a Tesla make sense.
    Also NBU power is not so cheap. Still paying out the freeze...what a joke.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Aside from fire, the cars don't pencil out for me. I don't drive enough with cheap gas prices to have a Tesla make sense.
    Also NBU power is not so cheap. Still paying out the freeze...what a joke.
    The high price of an ev along with increased insurance rates and electric bills don't offset the price of gasoline.
    Then if it doesn't catch on fire there will be an expensive battery replacement to look forward to.
    There's also the stigma of others assuming I must be a woke liberal tree hugger.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    How long until the electric car becomes uninsurable? Horror stories persist.
    The greenies can only hide so long...
    We have a friend that is an auto adjuster. She did not give a number but she says they are expensive to insure and repair. She also says if you get in a wreck good luck getting parts. I think she was referring mostly to Tesla's. She likes to tell stories so take it with a little grain of salt.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    We have a friend that is an auto adjuster. She did not give a number but she says they are expensive to insure and repair. She also says if you get in a wreck good luck getting parts. I think she was referring mostly to Tesla's. She likes to tell stories so take it with a little grain of salt.
    Telling stories is part of the insurance business.

Top Bottom