Target Sports

Flat towing a Jeep in 4 low and 1st gear. What could happen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Rapid explosive spontaneous disassembly.

The pic is looking up from under the jeep.

1615976358173.png

At 55mph the engine rpm was over 55 thousand revolutions per minute. The transfer case exploded, the crank came apart in multiple pieces. Over 30 grand in parts.

Oh, it was a new jeep too. Less than 10 thousand miles on the clock.

I think it's safe to say he voided the warranty.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Luckily insurance pays for stupidity. This will probably be covered.

These stories always remind me of the good sense that our laws have. Anyone can buy the biggest rv available, hook the biggest rv trailer behind it, and legally do 75mph down the highway but if I hook a 10k rated trailer to my truck I need a commercial driver's license.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Went to a job site the other day where a guy in a Uhaul backed in to and smashed a 3 phase transformer, then smashed a Toyota Tacoma trying to get out of a parking lot.

But I need a CDL for a 1-ton truck and tandem axle trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Years ago I lived in Alvin - The guy down the street decided to tow his car to the shop for some repairs rather than pay a tow truck - Seems he didn't understand that the transmission has to be in neutral and towing an automatic in park does some really impressive things to the tires, and then the road when those burn through and the wheel rims dig in, and then well let's not talk about the transmission. Why didnt he see or feel anything? Umm no rearview in the borrowed pickup and he was cranked up all the way to Def Leppard.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Years ago I lived in Alvin - The guy down the street decided to tow his car to the shop for some repairs rather than pay a tow truck - Seems he didn't understand that the transmission has to be in neutral and towing an automatic in park does some really impressive things to the tires, and then the road when those burn through and the wheel rims dig in, and then well let's not talk about the transmission. Why didnt he see or feel anything? Umm no rearview in the borrowed pickup and he was cranked up all the way to Def Leppard.

Unless that trans is ok to be towed in N you will fry it towing in N.

You need to tow by the drive wheels or on a flatbed.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Luckily insurance pays for stupidity. This will probably be covered.

These stories always remind me of the good sense that our laws have. Anyone can buy the biggest rv available, hook the biggest rv trailer behind it, and legally do 75mph down the highway but if I hook a 10k rated trailer to my truck I need a commercial driver's license.

Big RV spending that lobbying money.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Rapid explosive spontaneous disassembly.

The pic is looking up from under the jeep.

View attachment 248423

At 55mph the engine rpm was over 55 thousand revolutions per minute. The transfer case exploded, the crank came apart in multiple pieces. Over 30 grand in parts.

Oh, it was a new jeep too. Less than 10 thousand miles on the clock.

I think it's safe to say he voided the warranty.

Ah, a few extra quarts of gear oil and it will be run’n fine.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Should be a total loss as no new jeep is worth $30k

I guess you have not looked at what jeeps sell for nowadays. Now are they "worth it" I guess a shit ton of people think so.

and things are only worth what people will pay for them.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I guess you have not looked at what jeeps sell for nowadays. Now are they "worth it" I guess a shit ton of people think so.

and things are only worth what people will pay for them.
    I’ve had Jeeps my whole life. I couldn't own a new one. I know what they cost. What I can’t figure is why people buy them.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    I’ve had Jeeps my whole life. I couldn't own a new one. I know what they cost. What I can’t figure is why people buy them.
    Agree that they are overpriced and apparently it’s what the market will bear. I just bought my very first new to me 2016 Willys soft top and man, am I loving it. Looks and runs like new, between trading in my 2008 Ram pickup and it being 4 years old I got it for a decent price. I turn 60 this year and I guess it’s really more of a present to myself than anything. Also we do a lot of RVing and needed something to tow behind our Motorhome. So it serves multiple purposes. I work from home and probably only drive 50 miles or less per week so I don’t need a roomy large vehicle. But weekends with the top down and my beautiful bride of 25 years beside me. Well let’s just say I’m in heaven.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I guessed a Rubicon before reading the article so a $60k Wrangler. But you should go price the new Wrangler with a 392 in it!

Jeeps expensive? Yes but so is every other vehicle.

Top Bottom