Capitol Armory ad

First-Time Gun Owners Are a Notable Share of New Gun Purchasers in 2020 from Red State blog

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    My first gun was a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Dad won it in a raffle for $1. I still have it although it is pretty much a resident of the safe now. Someday one of the grandkids will use it.
    Target Sports

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Probably braver than I am.

I only mentioned it ate everything I gave it because it was a 1911. The next 1912 I had was an AMT hardballer and it was finicky as hell. It wouldn't feed federal or Remington ammo. I had to stick to good old win white box ammo for it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rp.

Actually, Senor PEDRO CAREAGA, the Spanish nobleman & Army Colonel, who designed the Astra 300/400 series of military pistols, DESIGNED that handgun to safely fire several different sorts of ammo.
    (In that era, Spain had a "problem with" availability of handgun ammo. = Does that sound FAMILIAR to you??)

Given how old that the pistols are now (MOST are nearly a CENTURY old in 2021), one would be WISE "to be kind to" the old handguns & NOT shoot HOT ammo in them.
    (Given that 9x19mm standard velocity is commonly available now, it would seem SMART to stick to that ammo.)

yours, satx

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I sure haven't seen any 9mm standard velocity ammo laying around at any academy stores lately. I'm looking for a box to pay back a debt to a coworker who gave me a bit of 22 ammo. I load my own 9mm and have plenty but I don't want to give him any of that in case there's a problem.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I sure haven't seen any 9mm standard velocity ammo laying around at any academy stores lately. I'm looking for a box to pay back a debt to a coworker who gave me a bit of 22 ammo. I load my own 9mm and have plenty but I don't want to give him any of that in case there's a problem.

rp,

IF you are a CONSERVATIVE RELOADER, who doesn't "push the limits", I cannot see a problem with you giving a friend or family member your reloads but that's just MY OPINION.

FYI, my "little" brother & I have shared any number of our PBCB & GCCB loads with any number of friends/family members for decades, W/O a problem.

yours, satx

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Christmas 1952 a bolt action Mossberg .410. A seriously crappy gun I still own. Killed my first everything with it. Duck, quail, rabbit, squirrel, snake, etc. From then on I bought with my own money.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rp,

Fwiw, My EX-Condor Legion Astra 400, with the holster (signed by a "volunteer SGT Pilot" of the Luftwaffe) & a box of circa 1935 ammo is NOW in a shadow-box on the wall of our farmhouse.
    (I feared that something untoward would happen to it, if I kept carrying it as an "extra pistol" in the PU toolbox.)

That's one pistol/holster, for which I paid the "princely sum of " 20.oo for at Canton about 4 decades ago, that will likely NOT be fired anymore.
    (Senior Sergeant Eberhardt M. Geist was KIA while on a strafing mission over Stalingrad in December 1942.)

yours, satx

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My first handgun purchase was a used S&W Model 19 shortly after I got out of the Army. My first new handgun was a Colt Government Model. I should have kept both of them.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    After getting out of the army I bought a Russian SKS, Rem 870, and a Beretta 92fs.

That was all I owned for years.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    After getting out of the army I bought a Russian SKS, Rem 870, and a Beretta 92fs.

That was all I owned for years.

Y'know, with those three, you can do almost all the shooting one might ever want to do. Add a good .22 (pistol or rifle, whichever you prefer) for punching holes in paper and you've got all the basics covered.

Smart man.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    National Shooting Sports Foundation now estimates that at least 5.4-million Americans purchased a firearm for the very first time in 2021; down considerably from the estimated 8.4-million first-time buyers in 2020, but still well above pre-2020 trends.

And this is based on retails sales surveys and federal background checks. I wonder how many private sales between individuals also occurred. So for the last few years there has been a marked increase in the estimated number of new gun owners. Should put the USA total well over 400 million firearms.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: gll

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    With the crime rate soaring....it will continue the trend..........

It is also one of the many reasons ammo is the way it is.......

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom