Lynx Defense

First-Time Gun Owners Are a Notable Share of New Gun Purchasers in 2020 from Red State blog

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What was your first gun?
    Theoretically my first was a crappy .22 autoloader from Sears that had a 40-pound-plus trigger pull. I got it for Christmas when I was 5 but I think it was just an excuse for my dad to buy a gun. I couldn't shoot it because I couldn't pull the trigger. I think my dad took it back and got a refund. I know I never saw it after that day.

What I consider to be my first real cartridge firearm that was truly mine and not shared was a Ruger .45 convertible Blackhawk I got when I was 16. We bought it from a combined liquor/gun store inside Wonderland Mall in San Antonio in 1976.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Theoretically my first was a crappy .22 autoloader from Sears that had a 40-pound-plus trigger pull. I got it for Christmas when I was 5 but I think it was just an excuse for my dad to buy a gun. I couldn't shoot it because I couldn't pull the trigger. I think my dad took it back and got a refund. I know I never saw it after that day.

What I consider to be my first real cartridge firearm that was truly mine and not shared was a Ruger .45 convertible Blackhawk I got when I was 16. We bought it from a combined liquor/gun store inside Wonderland Mall in San Antonio in 1976.
    That is exactly what ATF should be. A C-Store, not an agency.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    An Harrington & Richardson .410 break down, when i was 7 for Christmas. Then a Marlin .22 semi auto for my 8th bday. Still have both & passed the .22 down to my daughter when she turned 8.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Marlin Model 81 22 rifle. My dad paid $35 at a pawn shop. No way I could even estimate the number of rounds I shot through that gun. Still have it.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Nice article written by a gun owner (ghast)...while minority gun ownership is up (and is a very good thing), it's not up enough, imho.....Women are a much larger part of the new gun owners, also a very good thing....but in my experience, it's older women, not younger women driving sales here........probably a regional/local phenomena, but just my observation.

I would like to see more women under 30 y/o on the line shooting....

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Nice article written by a gun owner (ghast)...while minority gun ownership is up (and is a very good thing), it's not up enough, imho.....Women are a much larger part of the new gun owners, also a very good thing....but in my experience, it's older women, not younger women driving sales here........probably a regional/local phenomena, but just my observation.

I would like to see more women under 30 y/o on the line shooting....

Amen. I agree on better to see more younger women on the firing line. At my Dallas Pistol Club matches its pretty much just guys over 45. Very rare to have women join us.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    WINCHESTER Model 42 SKEET GUN, circa 1934, that my dad bought from my Uncle Wayne for 35 bucks. = YEP, I still have it & am waiting for my 2YO son, Nathan Paul, to be old enough to get it & his great-grandfather's Hamilton Model 992 RR watch for his BD.
    (NO, it cannot be bought at any price.)

yours, satx

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The first gun I actually purchased (not handed down) was a llama max-I in 45 ACP. It was a great pistol and ate everything I fed it. Later sold it to a friend when I was in a pinch and he still has it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The first gun I actually purchased (not handed down) was a llama max-I in 45 ACP. It was a great pistol and ate everything I fed it. Later sold it to a friend when I was in a pinch and he still has it.

rp,

Speaking of am pistol that "ate everything". = My old CONDOR LEGION surplus ASTRA 400 from the pre-WWII days would shoot anything that would fit in the magazine & that would fully enter the chamber.

In my young/stupid & FLAT BROKE days, I shot .380ACP, 9x19mm, .38 ACP, .38 SUPER, 9mm Largo, 9x21, etc. in it W/O a sign of any problem.

yours, satx

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    rp,

Speaking of am pistol that "ate everything". = My old CONDOR LEGION surplus ASTRA 400 from the pre-WWII days would shoot anything that would fit in the magazine & that would fully enter the chamber.

In my young/stupid & FLAT BROKE days, I shot .380ACP, 9x19mm, .38 ACP, .38 SUPER, 9mm Largo, 9x21, etc. in it W/O a sign of any problem.

yours, satx

Probably braver than I am.

I only mentioned it ate everything I gave it because it was a 1911. The next 1912 I had was an AMT hardballer and it was finicky as hell. It wouldn't feed federal or Remington ammo. I had to stick to good old win white box ammo for it.

Top Bottom