• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I recently bought a T/C Venture 30-06 and had a Nikon Monarch 2.5X10-50mm scope mounted on it. Both the Venture and the Nikon cost $479.00 each (at Bass Pro Shop) but well worth it in the long run. Kick ass accurate! It replaces my Savage 110 30-06 pre-Accu Trigger with a almost new Leupold 3X12-40mm Rifleman scope that I will sell for around $500.00 soon. The Savage is very accurate also.
    Venture Surplus ad

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I saw these recently myself.. I would like to get one in 308. have you grouped it? or tracked the scope?

Not sure if you are directing your question to me but if you are, I zeroed the Nikon in, in only about seven shots (after B. P. mounted and bore sighted) and since then the paterns have been about a half inch at about fifty yards. I could probably tweek it in a little more but that is well within the kill zone at the distances I will be shooting.
    The week before, my wife had bought a Sako 243 that was on sale ($499.00) at B. P. and had the Nikon Monarch mounted. After a little fondling I loved it so much I went back and bought the Venture in 30-06 with same scope.
    Lots of good rifles made now, at good prices, but a good scope makes all the difference, IMHO.

comp73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    DFW
    Cabelas has the Remington ADL with a Cabelas alpha scope on sale. $449 for the .243, $559 for other calibers including 30-06 and 308. A little out of your price range, but its the best deal I've seen on a scoped rifle package.

Worst case, buy the rifle now and the scope later.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    Solid recommendations here. I'll throw in my

If you decide to go Savage econo-line I would go for the newer Axis over the Edge. I have the Edge in .308 and it gets the job done. I tossed a cheap caldwell bipod and a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 x 40 on it. +1 for Nikon, but if you have the Redfield already I would just as soon go with it. Money saved is ammo bought

The reason I'd go for the Axis over the Edge is the trigger. The gun itself is pretty much the same bird with slightly different feathers but the trigger on the Axis is MUCH better than the Edge. Even with a less than optimal trigger the Edge will still squeeze out groups like this at 100 from the bipod (and those caldwell SUCK, wobbly little b@astards.)

308group.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Minute-of-coyote at 100-500 yards can be done with open sights with a little practice. I'd spend the budget on the best rifle I could afford, use it with open sights, and start saving for some nice glass.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Thanks for all who have replied. I think I have made my decision. I think I am going to go with the Savage edge. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Also Im off the 308 and 30-06 thing I just want the cheapest production ammo per box.

Top Bottom