• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    try it with a new brass, a fireformed brass, and a factory loaded round. you will see real quick the differences. i used one recently on a 308 case and it just fell into the tool. thought what the hell. checked the die and i had put a small base die (for a semi auto rifle) in the press instead of a regular FL die. this die sets the shoulder way back so feeding is never an issue. its a good tool to just occasionally double check your process. but you have to very carefully use the high and low "lines" at the base of the tool.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    So would this suggest that the sizing is wrong if the headspace was outside min/max with this gauge? Since you mentioned that it's controlled by the shoulder with 30-06. Although I bet it'd be off with fire-formed brass.

You first size your brass and then drop it in that case gauge. There is a stepped center part on the top of the gauge. That represents the minimum headspace. The outer top of the gauge represents the maximum headspace.

If the head of the case is above the lower portion and below the taller portion of the gauge, the case is within spec.

If it's in spec, you can flip the gauge and case over and look at the neck. If it's protruding beyond the gauge, you need to trim.

Alternatively you can use the chambering method sergeant69 suggested and measure with calipers for trim length.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    if you must crimp, and theres lots of reasons not to in a bolt gun. seat and crimp seperately. back die out till it won't crimp and seat bullets, then back seating stem out so it won't seat and lower die till it barely crimps. case neck tension is what holds bullets in cases when done properly. generally. depending. etc etc etc

Or use a Lee factory crimp die so you aren’t adjusting your seater die all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    You first size your brass and then drop it in that case gauge. There is a stepped center part on the top of the gauge. That represents the minimum headspace. The outer top of the gauge represents the maximum headspace.

If the head of the case is above the lower portion and below the taller portion of the gauge, the case is within spec.

If it's in spec, you can flip the gauge and case over and look at the neck. If it's protruding beyond the gauge, you need to trim.

Alternatively you can use the chambering method sergeant69 suggested and measure with calipers for trim length.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll stick with the chambering method for now, and maybe get one of those in the future.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Or use a Lee factory crimp die so you aren’t adjusting your seater die all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is true, I like having the separate crimp die in my 9mm set. I liked the idea of a single step, but now I see that it may be non-ideal in this scenario.

I actually think I may not crimp at all for 30-06 next time since I've been reading more that case neck tension alone works well for bottleneck cartridges.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Buy a bump gauge set and size off a fired case. Just because you run the die down to touch the ram doesn't mean it's sizing it enough and it could easily oversize it. Each of these situations cause their own set of problems.

Crimping on rifle rounds isn't needed if sufficient neck tension is used. Only crimp heavy boomers or tube mag guns.

Also be very careful with reduced charge loads. Never go below published data.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Buy a bump gauge set and size off a fired case. Just because you run the die down to touch the ram doesn't mean it's sizing it enough and it could easily oversize it. Each of these situations cause their own set of problems.

Crimping on rifle rounds isn't needed if sufficient neck tension is used. Only crimp heavy boomers or tube mag guns.

Also be very careful with reduced charge loads. Never go below published data.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting, I’ll have to read up on bump gauges.

H4895 specifically allows to reduce 60% under max. Here is their info on that: https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members