Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I saw you mentioned in another thread you smoke turkeys also. What’s your recipe and temperature?

Actually quite simple. A very light rub of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin powder. Smoke uncovered at about 225 degrees, for about an hour. Pull off the smoker, put into an aluminum pan and cover with foil, making sure to seal the foil to the pan to keep the moisture inside, and back onto the smoker at about 250 degrees for about another four hours. Adjust as needed for the size of the turkey. Very large turkeys, I have smoked them for up to seven hours.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I did mine at 250 for the entire time straight on the grill.

I seemed to hit a stall when the internal temp was around 150. I turned it up to 325 to finish it off as folks were getting hungry. Everything was pretty good except I had one section on one side near the wing that was underdone.

The legs were a little overdone but the rest was moist and flavorful.

I need to do the biscuit test and find the hot spots on my grill.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I did mine at 250 for the entire time straight on the grill.

I seemed to hit a stall when the internal temp was around 150. I turned it up to 325 to finish it off as folks were getting hungry. Everything was pretty good except I had one section on one side near the wing that was underdone.

The legs were a little overdone but the rest was moist and flavorful.

I need to do the biscuit test and find the hot spots on my grill.

I have dual thermometers on the lid of my smoker. There can be as much as 25 degree difference from side to side. The end near the firebox runs hotter than the exhaust side of the smoker.

I have put mine into the oven for about an hour at about 350 degrees to finish cooking them as well. Once it goes into the pan and gets covered, the smoker is more like an oven anyways. But I am also usually smoking other meats along with the turkey.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I have dual thermometers on the lid of my smoker. There can be as much as 25 degree difference from side to side. The end near the firebox runs hotter than the exhaust side of the smoker.

I had the same problem and put a chunk of aluminum sheet metal at an angle over the opening to the firebox. It really helped make the temperature more consistent across the smoker since the firebox side wasn't getting the direct radiant heat from the firebox.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I had the same problem and put a chunk of aluminum sheet metal at an angle over the opening to the firebox. It really helped make the temperature more consistent across the smoker since the firebox side wasn't getting the direct radiant heat from the firebox.
    Which end?

:green:

Well, I went out and looked at my smoker's firebox opening. The only way it would work on mine would be to angle the sheet metal down, since the rack is right above the firebox opening.

But, thinking about it, and looking it over, I think it could help regulate the temperature a little more evenly from side to side. Wouldn't be hard at all to give a try to see if it works.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    We've got a large covered front porch where the grill is - so I am going to cook year round on it. I grilled steaks just a few nights ago, and the night after I grilled up pork chops and sauteed green veggies on the gas burner on the side. I usually prefer charcoal vs gas. I sold my charcoal grill before we moved here, the old owners left a hybrid charcoal & gas grille by the same maker as my old charcoal grill that was pretty dirty (prob why they left it) - but my grandparents had 3 gas grilles and gave us one as a moving present - a nice Charbroil brand, and man do I like the convenience of just igniting it and having it up to temp a few minutes later, vs the 25-30 minutes to get the charcoal grill to the right temp. Gas doesn't give you the nice smokey flavor of coal, but when you just want dinner done ASAP its great.

Top Bottom