• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    With food costs rising I have started from zero and began the fight against it. I don't want to say starting from zero in the sense of only having no food in the pantry. Having near a handfull of kids, the grocery bill is always a battle. I have been buying in bulk and watching for sales for years. I live on leftovers all week and we rarely "eat out". My wife has a couple issues including the celiac so our diet is always being watched.

Over the course of at least a couple weeks if interests is there, I'll start uploading pics of progress. I have only been at the self done food storage for about 3 weeks as of this post.

My first upload will be pemmican. Done over 2 days.

Dehydrated 2 2.5lb lean roasts until crispy.
    Blended to powder.
    Blended 2oz freeze dried berries.
    Mixed the dry parts.
    Added warm tallow until correct consistency.
    Chilled and cut into squares.
    Sealed up in 6 part servings.
    3f256525f64d8ee1f2e1d48be24ebd01.jpg
    bf711cab040af02a03666de1388694b3.jpg
    6e489153403c17fd761d3070bb603cb0.jpg
    cb62f4c9d20ac4eefd9485df497bed49.jpg
    18933c473378ec93210bcfa7f92c3bf3.jpg
    1d5e8df579962e8af2bd0bf12477bb21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Last upload for this weekend. Actually last weekends haul. It was 2 seperate runs. This was my first time pressure canning.

First run.
    3 pints of stew meat. Packed raw and dry.
    5 pints of ground beef. Pre cooked somewhat, water filler.

Second run.
    8 pints of ground spicy pork. Pre cooked somewhat, water filler.
    Got a deal on 6 lbs. Of the 8 jars, 1 didn't seal correctly. It was only my second run in the canner. One of the tests is to ping the lid. 1 of the 16 from the weekend sounded different. I put that one in the fridge and made pasta with meat sauce.
    b9b4252fd9e3095bebc451ad3d32cfba.jpg
    a83edbd4aeae98de57a3dcebcece7f42.jpg
    1f738d4ae39cd57a0c44b18066bd6201.jpg
    ca035480adda3499d873e079dec1ce43.jpg

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Mainly moving stuff from the deep freeze into jars. I have been keeping it stocked for some time and don't want a power out like last Feb to cost me all of it.

Otherwise, as the title suggests. When buying food for 6 I watch food prices like a hawk. I am just a working guy and if you don't see food cost rising you ain't shopping.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Our biggest problem is bread going bad before it's able to be used up. I know you can freeze bread and it keeps a long time in the freezer, but out problem there is bread takes up a lot of room and we just don't have the room in the freezer for it.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Our biggest problem is bread going bad before it's able to be used up. I know you can freeze bread and it keeps a long time in the freezer, but out problem there is bread takes up a lot of room and we just don't have the room in the freezer for it.
    My Mormon neighbors always baked their own fresh bread ( fresh hot bread and freshest churned butter ……. Wow is all I can say ). They kept a barrel of flower with a chunk of dry ice in the bottom.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    You might try a bread maker. Won't work for me as I love bread with a crusty crust. If I buy a loaf of bread with a crusty crust, it is devoured in one day, two at the most. I get Cumo or Puglise (sp) and have them slice ir about 1/3 inch. Toast it, make grilled cheeses on the barby or just eat it plain maybe with seasoned butter.

Hot rolls are another weakness.

It always messes up my blood sugar but as someone said, man can't live on insulin alone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You might try a bread maker. Won't work for me as I love bread with a crusty crust. If I buy a loaf of bread with a crusty crust, it is devoured in one day, two at the most. I get Cumo or Puglise (sp) and have them slice ir about 1/3 inch. Toast it, make grilled cheeses on the barby or just eat it plain maybe with seasoned butter.

Hot rolls are another weakness.

It always messes up my blood sugar but as someone said, man can't live on insulin alone.

We do have a bread maker. And I still suck at making bread!

I do love fresh baked bread. A hundred times better than the store bought bread. That's why I have tried numerous times to make bread.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I remember my grandma use to make bread every weekend for the next week. She is long gone now. Was born in 1914. My grandpa had a peanut better and jelly every day for lunch for like 30 years.

When she would make fresh cinnamon rolls the whole extended family would stop by over the course of the day as word spread.

She made most stuff from scratch. Had probably 20 or 30lbs of flour in a pull out bin in the kitchen.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Buy a loaf of bread. Immediately freeze 1/2 of the loaf. When you finish the first half, take the other half out of the freezer.

We keep a couple loaves in the freezer all the time and rotate them out. It takes 4-6 hours to properly thaw a full loaf. Overnight is best.

another option…buy the small, ready to bake frozen loaves. One option:

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    @baboon not sure if you saw it but I made a batch of pemmican. I had gone back and forth with you on that before I believe.

It didn't taste too bad. It would suck to go an entire winter like the Indians did though.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Buy a loaf of bread. Immediately freeze 1/2 of the loaf. When you finish the first half, take the other half out of the freezer.

We keep a couple loaves in the freezer all the time and rotate them out. It takes 4-6 hours to properly thaw a full loaf. Overnight is best.

another option…buy the small, ready to bake frozen loaves. One option:

We keep loaves in the freezer here. My kids can somehow kick back an entire loaf in a day if you don't watch them.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Try Bannock.
    3 cups flour
    1 1/2 - 2 tblsp backing powder
    1 tsp salt
    Water
    You can add a little butter or lard when you make some if you want. A little sugar, honey or some berries too.
    I used to keep gallon jugs mixed up and just use what I needed at the time. The longer you let it sit, the lighter it gets up to a point. Pretty good pan fried in butter or bacon grease too.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    @baboon not sure if you saw it but I made a batch of pemmican. I had gone back and forth with you on that before I believe.

It didn't taste too bad. It would suck to go an entire winter like the Indians did though.

I seen it, wishing I had a bit. Add dark chocolate and sun flower seeds. Salty & Spicy and Sour and Spicy can change it enough. Try getting a blend that hits all 5 taste buds!

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My Mormon neighbors always baked their own fresh bread ( fresh hot bread and freshest churned butter ……. Wow is all I can say ). They kept a barrel of flower with a chunk of dry ice in the bottom.
    Wait... What? Why would they put dry ice in a barrel of flour? That sounds like an expensive proposition. Wouldn't just buying flour and vacuum sealing it or storing in buckets with gamma lids be better?

Top Bottom