• ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    This is for the FFL's out there.

Im going to be opening a gunsmith shop and have been looking at the ATF website. I know i can get a Type 01 FFL and be a gunsmith but i also want the ability to load ammo (mainly hard to find) so would it be better for me to get a Type 07 or get the Type 01 and Type 06. Or should i just get should I get one of the others?
    Capitol Armory ad

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    The 07 is $150 every 3 years and the SOT is $500 per year, right?
    How long does it normally take to complete the whole process? I ask because i plan on moving in the next 6-9 months and dont want to get it just to have to do it all again in a month or two after getting it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The website says it takes 60 days or less to get an FFL after they receive your app. After that I think getting SOT status is just a mater of paying the fee. Someone who has gone through the process can describe exactly what happens, of course.

07/02 looks like the way to go. 02 is $500 per year unless you make tons of money from your business.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    dont forget that with an 07 ffl you might be subject to paying itar, which is $2200 annually, give or take. i think the best thing before you put down some dough, is that figure out exactly what kinds of services you will eventually, or currently offer. how big your user/customer base is and if you can afford to pay these fees as a starter up. the ATF considers a lot of things, we normal people do to our firearms as manufacturing among other things. i would figure out your strategy first, then call your local ATF and shoot them some questions.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    dont forget that with an 07 ffl you might be subject to paying itar, which is $2200 annually, give or take. i think the best thing before you put down some dough, is that figure out exactly what kinds of services you will eventually, or currently offer. how big your user/customer base is and if you can afford to pay these fees as a starter up. the ATF considers a lot of things, we normal people do to our firearms as manufacturing among other things. i would figure out your strategy first, then call your local ATF and shoot them some questions.
    Looks like if he's going to manufacture ammo he has to register anyway.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I dont plan on inporting or exporting anything so hopefully i dont have to deal with that.

unfortunately ITAR is not that simple, as importing or exporting. there is a huge list under which services you offer can fall into ITAR one of which is manufacturing and defense services which is under USML sections 1 and 3 for ammunition.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Basically, if you are in the business of manufacturing guns or ammo you have to pay them $2200 a year. Doesn't matter if you don't export.

ITARFlowChart.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom