• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    I am looking for a class for the wife and up to three of her friends.
    In north Texas, east DFW area, who are some instructors, and classes you would recommend?

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    this is for @Spacecitysoldier since i am in houston too....my friend and another friend‘s wife just took an intro to handguns 101 class at Texas Gun Club a couple weekends ago and really enjoyed it. It was a small class (just those 2 people) and the instructor went over the basics in a classroom setting (using the specific firearms they brought) and then they did work in the indoor range that was 1:1 as well.

it was kinda pricy but when i shot with her last week, the training definitely paid off and some of the bad habits she used to have were minimized or gone and she was shooting much better as well :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Check out Texas Legends Gun Range. Very nice range, and nice folks there too. New indoor facility w restrooms, AC, 50 yd benchrest lanes, pistol bay, tactical bay. The tactical bay allows shotguns w slugs or buckshot, ARs/etc, or pistols.

I will be going there anytime its over 80 degrees. $20 for the first person, $14 each for up to 3 more. Max of 4 per lane.

Also, they have a ton of ammo and rental guns too.

Before my wife passed last year we had planned to join this place so we could shoot together. It wasn't even built yet.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it was kinda pricy but when i shot with her last week, the training definitely paid off and some of the bad habits she used to have were minimized or gone and she was shooting much better as well
    Good training is worth the price. It's my experience that the average, cringe-inducingly incompetent introduction to handguns done by a boyfriend or husband can instill in a woman bad habits that will last a lifetime if not completely turn her off shooting.

Yeah, I know that makes me sound sexist but it's a complicated subject and the non-sexist-sounding explanation would go well past the word limit for a single post.

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    Good training is worth the price. It's my experience that the average, cringe-inducingly incompetent introduction to handguns done by a boyfriend or husband can instill in a woman bad habits that will last a lifetime if not completely turn her off shooting.

Yeah, I know that makes me sound sexist but it's a complicated subject and the non-sexist-sounding explanation would go well past the word limit for a single post.

no, i get it and for the most part is truth in the way SOME parents raise girls and boys differently...i was never raised around guns and wish i would have been...growing up in the south probably would have been different but i was raised a yankee....and got down to texas as soon as i could! :laughing:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you ever stumble across it, there's a great interview with Louis Awerbuck, arguably the best handgun trainer of the last century, where he opines that the best group of students he could imagine would be composed entirely of 14-year-old girls who had never touched a gun before. There would be no bad habits to overcome and no male-centric attitudes about being born with the knowledge of how to shoot and, thus, being resistant to instruction.

My favorite students have always been women with no experience. Unfortunately, a number of them only came to me after a psycho ex demonstrated they couldn't obey a restraining order. :(

Spacecitysoldier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Houston, TX
    this is for @Spacecitysoldier since i am in houston too....my friend and another friend‘s wife just took an intro to handguns 101 class at Texas Gun Club a couple weekends ago and really enjoyed it. It was a small class (just those 2 people) and the instructor went over the basics in a classroom setting (using the specific firearms they brought) and then they did work in the indoor range that was 1:1 as well.

it was kinda pricy but when i shot with her last week, the training definitely paid off and some of the bad habits she used to have were minimized or gone and she was shooting much better as well :)
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out :twin:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom