Patriot Mobile

Feedback from my first pistol red dot has been surprising.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    We all extol what works best for us.

I love red dot sights, even more so if they're green, but all the dotted guns (if you will) I have are for the range, not for close encounters of the deadly kind...

Sure, I could practice finding the red/green dot faster, but under attack, iron sights for me.

It's muh nerves, doncha know?

I prefer point shooting for social encounters, no sights of any kind needed. Takes practice though but deadly.
    Texas SOT

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I agree with a few others here...dots are for range toys, irons are when you're betting your life on it. All of my experiences with red dots on pistols required akwardly pulling my head back to acquire them. Sure I could train for them but it would be a waste of time for me.

A Ruger 22 wears an old gen tube style and my buckmark has a trs25. They're fun and easy to shoot. As far as red vs green, the human eye can distinguish shades of green better than any other color which is why nv is also green. I have several red dots but only a couple green ones. I prefer the green ones for better visibility all around.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nightvision has green appearance due to the use of phosphor, not for reasons relating to the ability to detect different shades of green.

If that were the case, thermal scopes would all use shades of green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Our eyes can more easily detect green light than red though, due to red being closer to the IR range and green being closer to what our eyes see best. I use green for my hunting lights when possible due to it getting more range (seemingly).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nightvision has green appearance due to the use of phosphor, not for reasons relating to the ability to detect different shades of green.

Doesn't change the fact that the human eye "sees" green better than any other color. Although yes the nature of nv creates green luminescence.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Green is one of the easiest colors on the eyes and human eyes have a high sensitivity to it which is why the green phosphors have lasted so long. Yes, green because of the chemistry, but it is convenient chemistry...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Reddots are like cheating...

If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying to win. Mastery of traditional sights is no small feat, and I’m not trying to put that down.

When I was active duty, we did a shoot house back to back with irons and MRDO. To a man, the MRDO runs were quicker and more accurate. For EDC, I’m on the fence about adding an MRDO solely because I’m not ready to cut the slide and add suppressor height sights on my WC. My bedside gun is equipped with an MRDO, though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Got the new American Rifleman in the mail today and nearly every ad for a pistol had a red dot on it. SCCY is even getting in on it :laughing:

sccyrd_orig.png

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I’m a new shooter (8 months or so) but I can’t believe how my recently acquired red dot has been helpful in improving fundamentals.
    The truth is, if you think that a red dot sight has anything to do with the FUNDAMENTALS of shooting - you are missing your mark. A red dot is not a fundamental nor does it give you any insight into the fundamentals of shooting. It is an add-on device that helps you shoot whether or not you have mastered the fundamentals (the basics) or not.

fundamental noun

Definition of fundamental (Entry 2 of 2)
    1 : something fundamental especially one of the minimum constituents without which a thing or a system would not be what it is
    (from the Merriam Webster dictionary)

Shooting and sighting in would be, AND ONLY COULD BE, what they are fundamentally without a red dot sight or other extra assistance beyond the basics. A red dot sight is an add on beyond the basics - a crutch in essence. Thus you have not improved your fundamental shooting by depending upon what amounts to additional support but believe you have improved only because of an add on. No disrespect meant, just trying to help you avoid a pitfall that many others fall into - believing that a secondary device helps you with something basic or fundamental when in fact it only accustoms you with completing whatever act, such as shooting, with that add on. Thus it does not train or qualify you with the bare bones basics of it being FUNDAMENTAL! In other words, no one needs a red dot sight to understand or perform the fundamentals (or basics) of shooting because the addition of a red dot is beyond the basics. So, when you think you have gotten it right by usig a red dot, all you have accomplished is getting it right with the added assistance of a crutch and thus getting it right by way of the bare minimum (the basics) totally has been passed by,

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The truth is, if you think that a red dot sight has anything to do with the FUNDAMENTALS of shooting - you are missing your mark. A red dot is not a fundamental nor does it give you any insight into the fundamentals of shooting. It is an add-on device that helps you shoot whether or not you have mastered the fundamentals (the basics) or not.

(from the Merriam Webster dictionary)

Shooting and sighting in would be, AND ONLY COULD BE, what they are fundamentally without a red dot sight or other extra assistance beyond the basics. A red dot sight is an add on beyond the basics - a crutch in essence. Thus you have not improved your fundamental shooting by depending upon what amounts to additional support but believe you have improved only because of an add on. No disrespect meant, just trying to help you avoid a pitfall that many others fall into - believing that a secondary device helps you with something basic or fundamental when in fact it only accustoms you with completing whatever act, such as shooting, with that add on. Thus it does not train or qualify you with the bare bones basics of it being FUNDAMENTAL! In other words, no one needs a red dot sight to understand or perform the fundamentals (or basics) of shooting because the addition of a red dot is beyond the basics. So, when you think you have gotten it right by usig a red dot, all you have accomplished is getting it right with the added assistance of a crutch and thus getting it right by way of the bare minimum (the basics) totally has been passed by,

While the sight won't help with grip, trigger control, or any of the true fundamentals they are much better at giving visual feedback of what's happening with your aim as you fire than iron sights.

Besides just being easier to see and aim they can be helpful in finding the flaws of your fundamentals. Lasers can offer the same help as well.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Cars are crutches.
    You should walk instead.

Calculators are crutches.
    You should do all of your math with paper and pencil.

The internet is a crutch.
    You should go to the library.

Anything that makes life easier is a crutch.
    You should live like a hunter/gatherer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    What is the fundamental pistol sight? Three dot? Outline? Two dot? V-notch? U-notch and bead? Hammer notch with front blade? Trench? Plastic Glock sight that's been chewed on by your dog?
    The plastic one chewed by your dog. Let's face it - a red dot add on sight is not fundamental but rather an advanced type of sight well beyound the fundamentals. Basic irons sights on the other hand would likely be so.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Cars are crutches.
    You should walk instead.

Calculators are crutches.
    You should do all of your math with paper and pencil.

The internet is a crutch.
    You should go to the library.

Anything that makes life easier is a crutch.
    You should live like a hunter/gatherer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You, I think, miss my point entirely. There is nothing wrong with crutches except that maybe when you depend upon them first, when not actually in need of them, you miss the essence of learning the basics. You can do as you like and teach as you like but I prefer to teach by the basics so when a crutch (in shooting such as a rd dot or glass optics), are not available for whatever reason, the shooter whom I have taught does not need it to get by but knows how to do without. After learning the basics, I'd only then recommend a shooter uses an aide other than what is basic to possibly make shooting easier. In practical terms, when someone I have taught to shoot goes afield to shoot, let's say a trophy buck, and the red dot fails due to battery failure or a faulty circuit, then he can remove the red dot sight and depend upon the basic iron sights already on the firearm (if it had such in the first place) and still be able to bag the game. That is just an example but the concept of someone learning by the basics, being a better prepared shooter in the long run, holds true in various circumstances.

As for living like a hunter gatherer, what is the difference if you use basic sights or a red dot? You are a hunter in either instance and lets face it - hunters have used advanced tools (crutches so to speak) when needed, in fact invented many of them. I am a hunter even a gather of sorts. I was a hunter of men throughout my career, a hunter of game for some of my sustenance for many years and certainly am a gatherer of items I desire to own or upon which I depend for sustenance. Unless I am mistaken, you seem to have said what you did in your post as if there was something wrong with being a hunter/gatherer, I see it as a way of life but regardless - it has nothing to do with whether or not I use a crutch (an aid to make thing easier) or whether or not learning by the basics is better than learning first how to use advanced methods/tools and surpassing/ignoring the basics.

Unicron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2021
    Unicron
    Have not been a big fan of open reflex sights on pistols... due to the potential of hunting for the reticle under stress or shooting from an awkward position.

The Vulcan ACSS reticle has me giving the large guide/crutch ring a try. Going to shoot with it @ next 3 gun match. Can already tell I am going to adopt the concept to other pistols...as well as other manufacturers following the lead (common Trijicon).

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-hs507c-v2-acss-pistol-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle

Top Bottom