• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Except Houston doesn't want or need this project.

What they are trying to do is force a huge amount of construction to remove the current elevated 45 through down town, then route it all through the existing 59 corridor, and add extra lanes underground. It would completely screw traffic through Houston (far more than it already is, which is saying something) for a decade, and the end result will be that all north-south traffic goes through a single bottleneck that will be incredibly flood-prone. You think we had issues with freeways flooding during emergencies and disasters before?

If that is the plan, best it got killed.
    Lynx Defense

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Since we have never seen Hwy 45 NOT under construction folks around here refer to it as the Highway 401k.
    In 1968 National Geographic featured the construction on their cover. The stpry was about how great it was going to be, because it had TV cameras the size of a porta-potty on its overpasses. A brave new world? Maybe its time to stop.
    I remember when it was built. And it has been under construction ever since somewhere along the way.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    They need to change something for sure. My work day is spent in the car 8 hours a day all throughout Harris county and that one section of 45S/59S @ the pierce elevated platform is trash. Also 59N at spur 527 is always a mess. Don’t get me started on the 59/610 ramp closure either. What people are concerned about from what it seems is the homeless and low income individuals that stay under the freeway at San Jacinto & Pierce, Fannin & Pierce, Main & Pierce and Travis & Pierce. There’s more tent cities as you go towards Hamilton & Pierce too. This will also likely effect the area on Sampson road, which isn’t the nicest area to begin with. The fed pay out for those properties can change those peoples lives, but if it’s a property that’s been in the family long enough then those folks will not even consider selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Except Houston doesn't want or need this project.
    I'm sure the people who live on the north side of the building at 2016 Main would love to see the Pierce elevated removed. Their property values would jump way up if that source of constant, droning noise were to go away. Finding other folks who really want the project is much more difficult.
    What they are trying to do is force a huge amount of construction to remove the current elevated 45 through down town, then route it all through the existing 59 corridor, ... the end result will be that all north-south traffic goes through a single bottleneck ...
    Just in case anyone is curious, here's a cross-section of what that proposed bottleneck would look like. At least, this is one part of it and the picture is a year old so maybe things have changed. Nevertheless, I count it at 34 lanes wide. Can you imagine navigating this thing if you're just driving through Houston and unfamiliar with the area?

Screenshot from 2020-06-07 14-45-11.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Underground lanes = death trap in Houston.
    I'm not sure any of the proposed project is actually underground. Some is at ground level and surrounded by rising hardscape (see the pic above) so it might be the functional equivalent of underground (wrt flooding issues) but I'm no civil engineer so my eyeballing it is worthless.

ETA: It looks like the I-10W lanes are built up to act as a levee to prevent flooding from White Oak Bayou from reaching I-45N, I-45S, and I-10E. However, if that ersatz levee is overtopped, we'd lose all those freeways at once. Like I say, I'm not a civil engineer so maybe this whole layout is the best thing since sliced bread.

I just know I really wouldn't want to have to commute across the middle of Houston after this project is done. Thank God for retirement. :)

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Can you imagine navigating this thing if you're just driving through Houston and unfamiliar with the area?
    The locals aren't any better :P

Merge? What's that?
    My exit is coming up? I'll just wait, and swing over from lane 2 right at the barrier. EXCEPT WHEN ...
    Oh here's a merging entrance ramp that turns into an exit a mile up? I MUST COME OVER RIGHT NOW !!!
    .. and, similarly, entrance ramps from the feeders can only be accessed from the far right lane.

etc. etc. etc.

I think we're a great melting pot .... of the nations worst drivers :laughing:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I'm not sure any of the proposed project is actually underground. Some is at ground level and surrounded by rising hardscape (see the pic above) so it might be the functional equivalent of underground (wrt flooding issues) but I'm no civil engineer so my eyeballing it is worthless.

ETA: It looks like the I-10W lanes are built up to act as a levee to prevent flooding from White Oak Bayou from reaching I-45N, I-45S, and I-10E. However, if that ersatz levee is overtopped, we'd lose all those freeways at once. Like I say, I'm not a civil engineer so maybe this whole layout is the best thing since sliced bread.

I just know I really wouldn't want to have to commute across the middle of Houston after this project is done. Thank God for retirement. :)
    I don't know if the most recent plan included the underground lanes, or if common sense finally got to whoever allowed someone to hook their construction buddy up, but it was part of the plan at one time.

1624643595963.png

1624643647067.png

Farther north, on I-45, a portion of the freeway will get pushed below grade, from just south of North Main to Cottage Street.
    [...]
    With private funding, the same kind of public park concept could be developed here.

But the big question for many Houstonians is, what happens to an underground freeway during inevitable Houston flooding?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't know if the most recent plan included the underground lanes, or if common sense finally got to whoever allowed someone to hook their construction buddy up, but it was part of the plan at one time.
    Yep. I see what you're talking about. I imagine the entire project has been revised a few thousand times so I'm not surprised that parts were underground at one time and may still be.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd look it up again. :)

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    The locals aren't any better :P

Merge? What's that?
    My exit is coming up? I'll just wait, and swing over from lane 2 right at the barrier. EXCEPT WHEN ...
    Oh here's a merging entrance ramp that turns into an exit a mile up? I MUST COME OVER RIGHT NOW !!!
    .. and, similarly, entrance ramps from the feeders can only be accessed from the far right lane.

etc. etc. etc.

I think we're a great melting pot .... of the nations worst drivers :laughing:
    That don't believe in turn signals.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Kinda like 635 in north Dallas? Or the 75/35 bypass with the park? Forget it. IIRC they did think moving the emergency gen from the base of herman hosp. to a non-flood zone. Txdot engg are laid-off pretzel benders.

Top Bottom