Join TexasGunTalk

federal AWB and magazine ban of 2019

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by ThoughtCriminal2A, Sep 23, 2019.

1. ThoughtCriminal2A

ThoughtCriminal2A New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Austin
    FYI the democrats in the house judiciary committee will pass this on Wednesday 25 sept.;
    and they will then pass it off the house floor; then the senate may, or may not, take it up.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1296

2. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I didn't watch the video but, in it's current makeup, pretty much every hair brained Democrat policy will pass the House.

3. mamboloco

mamboloco Active Member

Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    what about congress?

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I was set back a bit when I saw the acronym "SAW" being used as "semiautomatic assault weapon". That's not what I think of when I see SAW being used in relation to weapons.

deemus, 308nato, pronstar and 3 others like this.
  5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It's a pretty comprehensive bill. Probably too comprehensive to pass. It covers everything from AKs to ARs to shotguns to handguns and magazines and even 22lr. Kits and parts used to assemble them are mentioned.

I can see this bill passing the democrat controlled House, but won't get past the Senate without some changes.

Here is the Readers Digest version:

Shown Here:
    Introduced in House (02/15/2019)

Assault Weapons Ban of 2019

This bill makes it a crime to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon (SAW) or large capacity ammunition feeding device (LCAFD).

The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

The bill also exempts from the prohibition the following, with respect to a SAW or LCAFD:

• importation, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession related to certain law enforcement efforts, or authorized tests or experiments;
    • importation, sale, transfer, or possession related to securing nuclear materials; and
    • possession by a retired law enforcement officer.
    The bill permits continued possession, sale, or transfer of a grandfathered SAW, which must be securely stored. A licensed gun dealer must conduct a background check prior to the sale or transfer of a grandfathered SAW between private parties.

The bill permits continued possession of, but prohibits sale or transfer of, a grandfathered LCAFD.

Newly manufactured LCAFDs must display serial number identification. Newly manufactured SAWs and LCAFDs must display the date of manufacture.

The bill requires law enforcement agencies to be notified when a prohibited person attempts to purchase a grandfathered SAW.

It also allows a state or local government to use Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program funds to compensate individuals who surrender a SAW or LCAFD under a buy-back program

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    jordanmills, Davetex and Southpaw like this.
  6. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    DOA in the Senate.

jordanmills, Davetex and 1911'S 4 Me like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    importation, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession related to certain law enforcement efforts, or authorized tests or experiments;
    This is in there to allow such activities as sending weapons to drug cartels like the deals the Obama administration participated in.

jordanmills, gll, Davetex and 4 others like this.
  8. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    So, under this bill if it becomes law, you could sell a grandfathered SAW but not allowed to sell the magazine that goes with it?

“The bill permits continued possession of, but prohibits sale or transfer of, a grandfathered LCAFD.”

9. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Did I read that everything is grandfathered?

10. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For now.....

jordanmills and ZX9RCAM like this.