• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    satx , you're exactly the kind of people that could be helpful in researching this item. Someone with knowledge about such things, with actual experience. I have a similar thread in NWF, and was hoping to get a lead from there, but got most event info from the C&R fellas over on Calguns within the first week. Then Covid hit and there was a big fire in Okanogan. The medallion really hasn't meant anything to the owner, but it interest me. They could have done a little research 30 years ago, when it was more likely someone was around who remembered. PAX

What are the chances of reaching out to his children? Its' a longshot that they would even talk you, or even have any knowledge or information on the shotgun, but you never know.
    Texas SOT

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    What are the chances of reaching out to his children? Its' a longshot that they would even talk you, or even have any knowledge or information on the shotgun, but you never know.

Slim to none. Pappy went off with a youngster in the '70's or '80's, and it all turned ugly. Much litigation between the new wife and his children, a son and daughter I think. He was from Coeur d'Alene (thier strip is called Boyington Field), but passed away in Fresno. Maybe he lost it in a poker game, I don't know, anything's possible. PAX

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Slim to none. Pappy went off with a youngster in the '70's or '80's, and it all turned ugly. Much litigation between the new wife and his children, a son and daughter I think. He was from Coeur d'Alene (thier strip is called Boyington Field), but passed away in Fresno. Maybe he lost it in a poker game, I don't know, anything's possible. PAX

It was just a passing thought and didn't know if it was an avenue you looked at.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Any records pertaining to the shotgun from Winchester, are more than likely only going to show what dealer or gun store the gun was shipped to. I'm thinking, that the plaque was added later by a gunsmith possibly, or a trophy shop and there wouldn't be any records of that.

But, what about seeing if there are any trophy makers or gunsmiths in that town of Okanogan. Maybe asking around someone remembers something. Another longshot!

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    It was just a passing thought and didn't know if it was an avenue you looked at.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Any records pertaining to the shotgun from Winchester, are more than likely only going to show what dealer or gun store the gun was shipped to. I'm thinking, that the plaque was added later by a gunsmith possibly, or a trophy shop and there wouldn't be any records of that.

But, what about seeing if there are any trophy makers or gunsmiths in that town of Okanogan. Maybe asking around someone remembers something. Another longshot!

I think it was post #16 where I mentioned reaching out to all those folks and more, in the Okanogan area. The 2 papers that were, are long since shuttered, and we've some of their print on microfiche from WSU. At this point, that avenue is being chased via snail mail. PAX

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think it was post #16 where I mentioned reaching out to all those folks and more, in the Okanogan area. The 2 papers that were, are long since shuttered, and we've some of their print on microfiche from WSU. At this point, that avenue is being chased via snail mail. PAX

Seems you are covering all the bases I would have thought of already. Like I said, it was a longshot.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    The little plaque is called an escutcheon.
    I haven’t seen a Model 12 with one from the factory.
    It was most likely added at an engraving shop or trophy store. Guns were often monogrammed for outgoing commanders and for shooting prizes.
    It is most likely genuine, though it may not add much value.
    The Model 12 in the picture looks to be better than base grade.
    If it is a pigeon grade or better, in excellent condition it could be worth over $2000. Such guns are terribly rare.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The little plaque is called an escutcheo.
    I haven’t seen a Model 12 with one from the factory.
    It was most likely added at an engraving shop or trophy store. Guns were often monogrammed for outgoing commanders and for shooting prizes.
    It is most likely genuine, though it may not add much value.
    The Model 12 in the picture looks to be better than base grade.
    If it is a pigeon grade or better, in excellent condition it could be worth over $2000. Such guns are terribly rare.

That is along the same lines I was thinking. If that is how the plate was attached to the shotgun, there possibly may be no records of who or when it was done.

May be covering ground already covered, but who presented the shotgun to Boyington?

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    That is along the same lines I was thinking. If that is how the plate was attached to the shotgun, there possibly may be no records of who or when it was done.

May be covering ground already covered, but who presented the shotgun to Boyington?

Not a clue. It came from an estate sale in Pocatello. That would be some useful data. PAX

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not a clue. It came from an estate sale in Pocatello. That would be some useful data. PAX

Would it be safe to assume that the people involved with the property of the estate had passed, and anyone with knowledge of the shotgun isn't around anymore?

Is so, how that person acquired the shotgun and from whom is now a dead end. And who knows how many people had owned it prior to the people at the estate sale.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Would it be safe to assume that the people involved with the property of the estate had passed, and anyone with knowledge of the shotgun isn't around anymore?

Is so, how that person acquired the shotgun and from whom is now a dead end. And who knows how many people had owned it prior to the people at the estate sale.

The owner said it was on a table with other goods and the seller was a youngster (twenty something), 35 years ago, but it was still in Idaho. Who knows' is anybody's guess. PAX

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The owner said it was on a table with other goods and the seller was a youngster (twenty something), 35 years ago, but it was still in Idaho. Who knows' is anybody's guess. PAX

Quite possible the person could have been his father or grandfather had bought the shotgun. And if he was selling it, he probably didn't even know, or maybe even care about it's relevance, and the importance of the possible original recipient of the shotgun.

Sad, over many years on many various gun forums, I have seen that many times. A family member passes on and owned some really nice, or old guns, and the youngsters inherit them and have little use of holding onto them out of sentimental reasons. Quick to sell as they can, for either money, or to use the money for newer guns. Sad IMO. I have an old, old shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. Retail value? Probably less that $75 at best. Sentimental value? To me, priceless and will never be sold for any amount of money.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah, I have a shotgun which I can't remember specifics about, information I was told over 50 years ago, which could possibly increase the value, and nobody to ask.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen with my stash. It's in trust with specific instructions for the caretaker. My grand kids are gonna score. The last gun estate sale I went too, the survivors reamed the deceased. All I got were the leftovers, the good stuff was long gone.

Here's most of it. There was a single shot .22 that I gave to my bud. That was Hungarian M44 furniture that helped a Calguns member save one, and the 1917 stock is going towards restoring an Eddystone sport job I picked up. The "Last ditch" Arisaka T99 has the MUM intact. PAX

DSCN0289.jpg

Top Bottom