• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    So this year I have been running behind in my gardening, in the middle or late September I got my fall potatoes planted, and some are now blooming. I have been plagued with grasshoppers and bad seed, my two plantings of spinach and swiss chard have been decimated by the grasshoppers and two plantings of kale never germinated. So yesterday 10/29 I planted a fresh order of kale, kohlrabi, leaf lettuce, garlic and transplanted from my "sets" 22 cauliflower plants. Earlier in the week, I transplanted 36 broccoli sets, 3 did not take and I replanted those yesterday as well. In a couple of weeks, the Early Dutch Flathead cabbage sets will be ready to transplant. I have 33 more broccoli sets to plant after giving my neighbor a dozen or so and about 15 more cauliflower.

Work has been steady and I have been getting in later than normal, this puts constraints on my daylight hours, thus I have repaired my damaged headlamp, I resoldered some connections that had come apart so now I can work in the dark if I need to!

I need to plant some other cold-tolerant veggies, BUT I still need to get my hunting blind set up, etc., never enough time, my employer wanted me to work this weekend, it would have been profitable for a single day, but I have too many other things to get done. I need to be cloned so I can get everything accomplished.
    Texas SOT

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    The hard work will pay off in the long run with all your fresh vegetables.
    You can enjoy every bite knowing it is fresh and you grew it.
    But you need the fresh meat to go with all of it.
    Good luck.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The hard work will pay off in the long run with all your fresh vegetables.
    You can enjoy every bite knowing it is fresh and you grew it.
    But you need the fresh meat to go with all of it.
    Good luck.

If dire times do happen, I have deer that come into the front lawn! I have been waiting for this cooler weather, I have 120 acres on which to hunt that belongs to my cousin about 20 minutes away, I have been seeing numerous deer and hogs on the game camera.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I am not "suffering", I am just trying to become more frugal than I have been in the past. I do without some "wants", I can afford to put away $500 a month into my 401K, pay my bills, help my parents, and still have some left for some non-necessities. I have curtailed my expenditures on firearms, the safe is full and I really don't need more, I have been occasionally getting something, but not like I used to. I even lessened my alcohol consumption and have lost weight in order to try to get a bit more "healthy". I intend to lose weight more and try to get into some other exercise regimens. My knees and back feel much better already.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Anyone know if its too late to plant cold resistant stuff like broccoli? I'm not really sure if I should tear out my basil bush to make room for actual food and just leave it as dirt for the winter, or do I still have time to drop a few seeds before it rains for a week?

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    IMO crops like broccoli should have been "seeded" into containers and started 6-8 weeks ago, your best option is to try to find some at a garden store. I just finished planting the second crop of broccoli to stagger my yield this last weekend, the same for cabbage or cauliflower. Cold weather crops can still be decimated, for example, last winter's snow. This is just based on prior experience, I am not a professional by any means.

Top Bottom