• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Recently shut off one streaming service wand switched to HBO Max. I can across Fahrenheit 451 by chance while scrolling through the movies and go pretty excited since it’s one of my favorite books. Hit play and settled in to see something great moved from paper to screen.

It seemed ok at first. Credits showed different books and paintings being burned, then faded in to Montag holding his lighter. Pretty much how the book starts. No way they got this right off the bat and fucked it up. Then the scene changed and he’s in a bathroom scrolling on a mirror like it’s Facebook or something. Ok, I get it. They modernized the “walls” a little bit. No big deal. He buys some boots (I think) and then the scene changes. He’s having a boxing match with his boss (name escapes me). WTF is this, it makes no sense and wasn’t in the book. Whatever, it moves on.

Now we are in a school and they are talking to kids about the “nines”. I guess this is the dark web or something, apparently where books are uploaded. Warning the kids of the dangers and then telling them the Bible, Moby Dick, and some other book are ok. That’s not right, who the **** came up with this. Did they read the book? They talk about burning books so the kids can be happy, the kids cheer. Whatever, I guess it goes to the conversation between Mantag and the chief in the book where the chief argues that all the conflicting ideas in books lead to confusion and people can’t be happy that way (basically arguing against independent thought). Scene is pretty annoying. Montage character is already shown to be completely foreign to how it was written by Bradenbury. No questioning, no hidden sadness. Just a brainwashed follower.

Next scene there is a fire call. They run out of the station and jump on their truck to head out. We get the displeasure of listening to some idiotic chant/cadence thing they do on the way. More completely idiotic fodder for those with ADHD that need a constant feed of flashy lights and noise I guess.

At the location of the call they find people trying to upload books to the internet. Now, from what I remember it’s at this point in the book Montag enters the house and finds a woman who burns herself alive and ends up bringing a book home to hide. In the movie it’s about 10 people in the house apparently uploading books. Montag fights a guy who’s got a knife for some damn reason, then moves on and finds a server in a closet. He looks at pictures flashing on the screen for maybe 2 seconds when the chief comes in and asks what he’s waiting for. This was the best they could do to show a questioning attitude I guess, but makes no sense given the movie characters anti internet book boner he’s shown to be constantly stroking and waving around so far. He says he was waiting on the chief, then smashes it.

Scene jumps to being outside the house, the book people, “eels” as it calls them, sitting on the sidewalk. One is pulled up for the news crews broadcasting live. It’s told he’s not a “native” and that his identity will be erased. They shove some weird thing on his hand that I guess is supposed to burn away his fingerprints. But then they remove it and put his apparently pointless finger on some scanner thing which somehow brings up his identity, but then shows it being burned away on the screen. Again, makes no sense. And seems to be far more of a reference to immigration or something than books and knowledge. He’s told he will have to be an eel forever now.

They crammed all of this stupid in to the first 13:49 of the move, which is when I hit pause to come here and bitch about it. My opinion: The only way this movie relates to the book is that it seems contain everything that Bradenbury’s book warns about. A mindless shitfest of a movie devoid of the any deeper meaning. Characters are so shallow you could walk through them barefoot without getting your feet wet, and any attempt to bring it online with modern technology failed so hard it makes Biden look like a picture of mediocrity.

I’ve wasted 13:49 of my life. Something I now deeply regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks for the warning.

I just ran to my book shelf to see if I still had my signed copy.
    1f41a4115c3d1fa3617fffb6896f1bdd.jpg
    6089f523dddbad5caf35cf6e00c9527b.jpg

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Recently shut off one streaming service wand switched to HBO Max. I can across Fahrenheit 451 by chance while scrolling through the movies and go pretty excited since it’s one of my favorite books. Hit play and settled in to see something great moved from paper to screen.

It seemed ok at first. Credits showed different books and paintings being burned, then faded in to Montag holding his lighter. Pretty much how the book starts. No way they got this right off the bat and fucked it up. Then the scene changed and he’s in a bathroom scrolling on a mirror like it’s Facebook or something. Ok, I get it. They modernized the “walls” a little bit. No big deal. He buys some boots (I think) and then the scene changes. He’s having a boxing match with his boss (name escapes me). WTF is this, it makes no sense and wasn’t in the book. Whatever, it moves on.

Now we are in a school and they are talking to kids about the “nines”. I guess this is the dark web or something, apparently where books are uploaded. Warning the kids of the dangers and then telling them the Bible, Moby Dick, and some other book are ok. That’s not right, who the **** came up with this. Did they read the book? They talk about burning books so the kids can be happy, the kids cheer. Whatever, I guess it goes to the conversation between Mantag and the chief in the book where the chief argues that all the conflicting ideas in books lead to confusion and people can’t be happy that way (basically arguing against independent thought). Scene is pretty annoying. Montage character is already shown to be completely foreign to how it was written by Bradenbury. No questioning, no hidden sadness. Just a brainwashed follower.

Next scene there is a fire call. They run out of the station and jump on their truck to head out. We get the displeasure of listening to some idiotic chant/cadence thing they do on the way. More completely idiotic fodder for those with ADHD that need a constant feed of flashy lights and noise I guess.

At the location of the call they find people trying to upload books to the internet. Now, from what I remember it’s at this point in the book Montag enters the house and finds a woman who burns herself alive and ends up bringing a book home to hide. In the movie it’s about 10 people in the house apparently uploading books. Montag fights a guy who’s got a knife for some damn reason, then moves on and finds a server in a closet. He looks at pictures flashing on the screen for maybe 2 seconds when the chief comes in and asks what he’s waiting for. This was the best they could do to show a questioning attitude I guess, but makes no sense given the movie characters anti internet book boner he’s shown to be constantly stroking and waving around so far. He says he was waiting on the chief, then smashes it.

Scene jumps to being outside the house, the book people, “eels” as it calls them, sitting on the sidewalk. One is pulled up for the news crews broadcasting live. It’s told he’s not a “native” and that his identity will be erased. They shove some weird thing on his hand that I guess is supposed to burn away his fingerprints. But then they remove it and put his apparently pointless finger on some scanner thing which somehow brings up his identity, but then shows it being burned away on the screen. Again, makes no sense. And seems to be far more of a reference to immigration or something than books and knowledge. He’s told he will have to be an eel forever now.

They crammed all of this stupid in to the first 13:49 of the move, which is when I hit pause to come here and bitch about it. My opinion: The only way this movie relates to the book is that it seems contain everything that Bradenbury’s book warns about. A mindless shitfest of a movie devoid of the any deeper meaning. Characters are so shallow you could walk through them barefoot without getting your feet wet, and any attempt to bring it online with modern technology failed so hard it makes Biden look like a picture of mediocrity.

I’ve wasted 13:49 of my life. Something I now deeply regret.

I have never understood why the screenwriters go so far afield when the original book already has all the suspense, etc. needed for a quality film.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This must be the 2018, so called version. Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen, so I had read many of his books. I think they waited until after he died to remake Fahrenheit 451, since he actually wrote the script for many movies made from his books. I still enjoy watching the 1966 version, but the 2018 only vaguely followed the book. Hollywood today also likes to push a more leftist ideal into remakes.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If you ever want to watch a movie that is pretty much along the lines of the book (read it first if you can find a copy), watch The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre starring Humphrey Bogart. My guess is they were able to write the script like the book because the book is a short one. One of Bogart's best acting jobs, if not his best. I think his acting in it far surpasses his acting & comedic efforts in The African Queen but The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre is certainly no comedy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This must be the 2018, so called version. Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen, so I had read many of his books. I think they waited until after he died to remake Fahrenheit 451, since he actually wrote the script for many movies made from his books. I still enjoy watching the 1966 version, but the 2018 only vaguely followed the book. Hollywood today also likes to push a more leftist ideal into remakes.

I’ll have to see if I can find the original movie.

There were some things I was really hoping to see brought to life from the book. Like the sniffer bot, how they handled the conch shells that the wife is constantly escaping too, the walls she uses to interact with strangers, etc.

Honestly, it makes no sense why the book would need modernization. Most of the stuff in it is incredibly similar to present day with earbuds, cell phones, Facebook, etc.

Top Bottom