• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    It is very difficult for me to believe that anyone was "Shot 18 times with a .45ACP to little effect" !

I have attended hundreds of GSW's over the past half-century, and just can't imagine that.

Are you sure he just didn't MISS x 18 ?

We see lots of folks struck several times with 9mm PB surviving. Few with a solid hit by .45 survive to reach the E.D.

OTOH, a few years back, I helped care for two Officers shot with a .380, each once in the upper abdomen, who were really torn-up and barely lived.

leVieux

Everybody has experience that teaches them things that they hold to be the "norm". But every once in awhile there is an X-Files type of event.

AFAIK, many depts used to forbid, due to public perception/pressure, their officers using anything other than ball ammo. IMO, it is markedly less effective than modern rounds... from what I have read anyway.

In your experience, did you ever notice a diff in mortality between FMJ and modern bullets such as Hornady's Critical Defense and Critical Duty?

I've also noted that humans come in many varieties, some succumb or are dropped by a .22lr or .380 ball. Others like the BG in the story, seem almost superhuman. A diff in will??? IDK.
    ARJ Defense ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I see it but still doubt.
    leVieux

There was another shooting - a different shooting - I remember seeing covered in one of those reinactment emergency shows (like Rescue 911, Highway Patrol, etc) where a deputy sheriff and his partner were ambushed on IIRC a welfare check call. First deputy was killed right off the bat, the second took multiple rounds and emptied his Glock 21 into the suspect and wound up reloading and it took a head shot to bring the guy down - multiple fatal hits from a .45ACP yet the guy was able to damn near kill the 2nd deputy after killing the first.

My take away - people are crazy, the human body is crazy, and if you want to ensure someone is dead 100% - call in a nuke. People survive rifle hits, shotgun hits, pistol hits - statistically random things happen and you can't predict how things will play out when bullets fly. Even if 90% of dudes died immediately after getting shot with .XXX caliber, those 10% could happen at any time.

uilim

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    missouri city texas
    My TP9 Elite SC with Holosun 407K, Olight Balder Mini, Bitterrootgunleather IWB holster and double magazine pouch.
    wFnllFT.jpg
    DZ1Uvi9.jpg
    GLiIbmH.jpg

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    I currently have a rather KISS set-up. A Taurus 605 (.357 Mag 5 shot) stoked with 38 Special +P 158 gr. LSWC rounds with 5 more on a speed strip that fits nicely in my jeans change pocket. The holster is far from my nicest, it's a Barsony IWB $40 - but it is made in the USA unlike my Taurus lol. The whole set up set me back $370. It's comfortable to carry and the little revolver shoots better than you would imagine. Limited capacity? Yes, but I'm comfortable with it.

Taurus 605.jpg

Barsony.jpg

The Taurus has a tenifer finish. That scratch looking squiggle stuff on the top rear actually wiped right off - just looks bad in the pic. It's an all steel revolver - Taurus has really stepped up to the plate with quality IMHO. I also have G-3 9mm that is an excellent pistol - esp for $270! I have a We The People IWB for that one.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes sir - I had an Airweight Bodyguard - it has a shroud that covers the sides of the trigger but you can still cock for single action shooting it you want. My ex wife now has that one.... And as to the Barhami grip = I tried that many years ago but I tend to sweat too much - I need something to protect the revolver a bit - the Barsony is really very minimal and does a good job of retention. I have several other carry options but I like the simplicity and small profile of this little Taurus. And I also like that I can load it with .357 Mag if I want - though it hurts a bit to shoot those lol I must admit. Esp with the issue grips.

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    It's not quite perfect, but for carrying a stock G19 the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 is amazingly comfortable. Never understood folks carrying a holster 3x the size of their gun. If it works more power to you but I'll stick to minimalist holsters. Raven makes a similar concept that mounts on a weapon light now, which I'll probably be moving too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_134800996.jpg
      IMG_20210506_134800996.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 205

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    Only one wrong way to carry IMO, and that is to not have your gun on you when you need it. Carry any which way you want as long as you're carrying. For me the ease of the VG2 makes up for any rubbing between my skin and the gun. It's all a tradeoff though.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    UcV0U21.jpg

Changing guns up a bit. I love my M&P's, but the new Walther has even better ergonomics (slight, but very noticeable differences) and it us lighter in weight. Another nice (but very little) plus is the full-size mag is 18 rnds with the Walther, giving 1 more round than an M&P full size mag.

I'll be adding a red dot and probably a weapon light after the holidays. I made the holster pictured here this morning, and it is comfy as can be, and probably the best holster I've ever made, as far as definition in the press goes. Not too stiff for the retention, but not loose. Adjustable ride height a bit. I like the raptor skin look and had just enough kydex left over after making a ride for my Sig to do one for my other German gun.

I think I'm going to make a mag carrier / light carrier combo for pocket carry of those items and try to get the light off my belt. Eventually I want to put a Phlster Enigma on this holster for deeper concealment, for those handful of times I might have to wear a tucked in shirt.

I added a new small fixed blade to my carry setup yesterday, and finished a pair of sheathes for it this morning.

DRffL18.jpg

GhxRZen.jpg

Right now I'm wearing the black one - the snap / clip less design. I took heavy inspiration from Skallywag Tactical for this design - it allows you to tuck the sheath behind your blade, the hook on the point-end grabs a belt loop and you can either carry the knife tucked in completely behind the belt like I have been, or you can angle the handle downward for faster access. Its a tiny knife, but I don't need to punch thru someone's back side if I wind up having to fight with this knife, I just want to cut them or poke them enough to stop trying to kill me, or stop them from trying to take my gun or whatever. Its such a small knife that it disappears and I don't even feel it behind my belt.

AivuJI5.jpg

uilim

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    missouri city texas
    i need to know more about that holster please. Does it allow for a smooth draw with just enough resistance for retention. Having a hard time finding one that works well for IWB with the 5" 1911. Most are too tight and don't allow for a quick, smooth draw.
    Draw is very smooth. but retains very well. Stays open due to reinforced mouth.
    SF7VwuH.jpg
    vgAzwsO.jpg
    t6XHeYB.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994