• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    5 draw average, no warmup, hands at sides start, 5 yds, 10" circle target, 1.1 seconds is excellent, from under a T shirt. Once warmed-up, sub 1.0 second average. if you can average under .90 second, you're one of half a dozen on the face of the earth. This includes your reaction time to the beep of the electronic timer. A typical cops time will be twice as slow. all attempts to count, shoot until you hit it. One try that takes 3 shots and 1.7 seconds really hurts your average. In a fight, it will get you killed.
    tenor (1).gif

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Not Me! If I was going to have an alias here on the forum. it would much more cool, like Rambo, or the Terminator, or Mad Max!

FIFY. That's Axxe, spelled with two "X's" you heathen! :banana:

No disrespect intended. I was laughing when I posted it Axxe (auto correct took over and I was lazy is what really happened!)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You could time my fast draw with a sun dial! Really. I'm slow on the draw. Never really practiced or worked on a fast draw. I thought from a practical perspective, it was better to concentrate and acquire better situational awareness skills and accurate shooting than trying to be a fast draw, and just get shots off.

Just thinking from a logical perspective. How many bad guys are there out there that are as fast and accurate as Bob Munden, or Jerry MIculeck, or Ed McGivern, or some of the others? I would suspect none. I seriously doubt some thug or gangbanger is going to spend the time, effort and money on shooting thousands and thousands of rounds honing such a skill. So why should I waste my time on something that is useless for all practical intents. Getting really fast on the draw, could lead to another potential problem that I see. Getting jumpy and possibly shooting the wrong person, because you are relying upon speed, rather than paying better attention to your surroundings and the people around you.

If you are honing the skills for Cowboy Shooting, or some other type of competition shooting and want to get faster, I see nothing wrong with that, but just not my cup of tea.

Just my thoughts.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Is this lmao with a new profile? This post seems awful familiar............

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      153.2 KB · Views: 198

Mungle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    How many bad guys are there out there that are as fast and accurate as Bob Munden, or Jerry MIculeck, or Ed McGivern, or some of the others?

Most bad guys aren't going to challenge you with a quick draw contest. They are likely ready to go when you fall into their trap, guns drawn. I agree with your assertion about situational awareness.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Most bad guys aren't going to challenge you with a quick draw contest. They are likely ready to go when you fall into their trap, guns drawn. I agree with your assertion about situational awareness.

My approach is relying upon a keen situational awareness so a fast draw isn't needed. Being aware of problems before they happen, might lead to avoiding them altogether, or being better prepared to deal with the impending problem.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I think a good combination of training and practice will- hopefully- cover the most likely scenarios, and build in some decent muscle memory.

The way you train is the way you will perform. Generally.

I'm no Ioan Nica (who holds far more world records than Munden) or Ernie Hill (although I'm lucky enough to have met him), and I really have no aspirations at that kind of speed (.2 seconds from buzzer to hit on target) but I think that practicing the draw is a logical training step.

I shoot USPSA, mostly, and the buzzer-draw is an integral part of EVERY stage at every match, so it's kinda der rigueur.

LIkewise, there are a TON of drills that incorporate the draw...

My absolute favorite is the El Presidente:
    • Standing 10 yards away, facing AWAY from (like the opposite direction) three targets that are 1 yard away from each other
    • Hands at the surrender position
    • Loaded pistol, holstered, cocked, and safety engaged
    At the buzzer:
    • Turn, draw, and shoot two rounds into the center circle of each target
    • Mandatory reload
    • Shoot two more into the center of each target
    Anything under 10 seconds is considered acceptable (that's the PAR time for IDPA and USPSA).

Anything under 6 seconds is blazing, and anything under 5 seconds is pro territory.

Watch the first 7 seconds of this (it's about a 5 second time):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom