• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    So evidently, the EPA is considering banning lead ammunition, which for all intents and purposes, scuttles shooting for most of us. They're accepting public comment through Oct. 31, just in time for the election.

LINK

NSSF [National Shooting Sports Foundation] is springing into action, as the public comment period opens on EPA considering a regulation that will ban all traditional lead ammunition. This would basically end the shooting sports as we know it. Remember this is a no-win situation for us, because bullets made of materials other than lead are often considered armor piercing by law. Copper is your basic material, and copper is expensive, and has much poorer performance properties than lead.
    You can read the petition in favor of banning ammunition here, and if you can leave a public comment on it here. The EPA will be taking comments on this through October 31 to coincide nicely with the November 2 election. After health care and immigration, apparently the White House doesn’t feel it has sufficiently irked voters enough. Bringing the NRA and upset gun owners into the mix should really do wonders for Democrats at the ballot box.
    Venture Surplus ad

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    We can reply all we like but these people live only for their religon. Left wing extremeism.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Every state is an EPA state. TX has only operated somewhat autonomously in the past because the EPA didn't have a President directing them to punish the state of TX.

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    I think this problem is much bigger than the military brass destruction issue of a couple of years ago. Whether EPA goes through with it or not (and I'm betting they will do it regardless of the content of public comment), at a minimum the proposed ban should cause higher ammo prices and scarcity. The current administration has demonstrated its willingness to defy public opinion on other issues; don't expect the EPA to respond positively to the uproar they are causing. They want your guns to become nice paper weights and clubs. It's here, folks. It's here.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    It's like screaming at a wall, but here's my comment:

This is just another attack on the 2nd Amendment through its subversion. And you wonder why the populace is turing on this administration. Why don't you knock of the crap and do something that is actually useful?

kaiserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Mansfield, Texas
    EPA announced their folding on the lead ammo issue but are still continuing with the lead fishing gear issue:

EPA Denies Petition Calling for Lead Ammunition Ban

Release date: 08/27/2010

Contact Information: Brendan Gilfillan gilfillan.brendan@epa.gov

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today denied a petition calling for a ban on the production and distribution of lead hunting ammunition. EPA sent a letter to the petitioners explaining the rejection – that letter can be found here: TSCA Section 21 | Chemical Information Collection and Data Development (Testing) | USEPA

Steve Owens, EPA assistant administrator for the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, issued the following statement on the agency’s decision:

“EPA today denied a petition submitted by several outside groups for the agency to implement a ban on the production and distribution of lead hunting ammunition. EPA reached this decision because the agency does not have the legal authority to regulate this type of product under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) – nor is the agency seeking such authority.

“This petition, which was submitted to EPA at the beginning of this month, is one of hundreds of petitions submitted to EPA by outside groups each year. This petition was filed under TSCA, which requires the agency to review and respond within 90 days.

“EPA is taking action on many fronts to address major sources of lead in our society, such as eliminating childhood exposures to lead; however, EPA was not and is not considering taking action on whether the lead content in hunting ammunition poses an undue threat to wildlife.

“As there are no similar jurisdictional issues relating to the agency's authority over fishing sinkers, EPA – as required by law – will continue formally reviewing a second part the petition related to lead fishing sinkers.

“Those wishing to comment specifically on the fishing tackle issue can do so by visiting Regulations.gov. EPA will consider comments that are submitted by September 15.”

R286

08/27/2010: EPA Denies Petition Calling for Lead Ammunition Ban

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Every state is an EPA state. TX has only operated somewhat autonomously in the past because the EPA didn't have a President directing them to punish the state of TX.

The State of Texas is not governed by EPA laws (codes) instead it follows the codes of OSHA. At least that is what i was taught through all of my Haz-Mat courses and Enviromental Courses.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The State of Texas is not governed by EPA laws (codes) instead it follows the codes of OSHA. At least that is what i was taught through all of my Haz-Mat courses and Enviromental Courses.

Ouch! Wow!! You are REALLY confused! Every state - unfortunately including Texas - is subject to all federal laws and most regulations (that actually carry out the intent of the laws). OSHA covers safety and EPA covers environmental issues; both are agencies, not laws. States may be allowed to administer regulations, but must be at least as strict as the federal government. (The obvious exception to that is immigration, and don't get me started on how much that pi$$es me off.)

csmusarmy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Why is the EPA so concerned about handgun ammo? Are they afraid the bad guys will get lead poisoning. I promise this will be the least of their problems if they break into my place

Top Bottom