• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    How's it going everyone? AT2(AW) Beaty here asking a little help with putting in my ocs package.

My background: I have been enlisted in the Navy for nine years now. I have been stationed in Corpus Christi with Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 and in New Orleans with Strike Fighter Squadron 204. I have just recently pcsed to NAS JRB Fort Worth with Fleet Readiness Center West Det Fort Worth fixing the parts I probably helped make go bad on the F-18s I was working on in New Orleans. I have been deployed multiple times to Bahrain including time in Iraq and Kuwait. I grew up in Grapevine and am glad to be stationed back home.

I just recently graduated from the University of Oklahoma (don't get on to me guys lol, but BOOMER SOONER). My degree was in criminal justice. They have amazing programs for military plus that is were I went to school before joining the service. I have applied and been accepted to Penn State for their online homeland security program.

My question is does anyone know any other service members that are officer in homeland security/anti-terrorism/force protection fields. I am wondering because I am about to drop my OCS package. In the Navy you have three options to drop for at a time. I have set on Aviation Maintenance Officer (seeing is that is my current field) and Supply Corp. What I really want to do though is get into a program that has to do with my degree because when I leave the Navy I WILL NOT work in the aviation field, hence the degree path I have chosen. I am trying to find out if I need to go the intelligence route or if line officer specializing in homeland security is the way I need to go. The only problem is I don't know if line officer program is where I would go with this.

If any of you are prior Naval Officers or any Officer of any branch. I need some guidance because where I am stationed and have been stationed I have only met pilots and Aviation Maintenance Officers. Any help, guidance or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    hmmmmm - you're saying, post Military, you'd rather get into homeland security/law enforcement than stick to Aviation ? is that what they "teach" in OK ?

I had 4 years enlisted in the Army, attended Infantry OCS, fixed wing flight school and flew for another 5 years (and "quit" when "they" wanted to send me back to VN for a 3rd year, after chopper transition :rolleyes:)

tried for L.A. County Sheriff's Dept - failed the hearing test but went to work as a Commercial Pilot for a wonderful Airline and had a great 31 year career with them (thank you thank you thank you, for loss of hi-freq hearing in left ear)

so, what I'm saying is......don't be stupid

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    First I love this state, just went to school up north.

Second, yes may sound like a bad idea for me to leave the aviation field, but when it's not what you want to do for the rest of your life. I joined the Navy with the intentions to do my 4 and go home. Aviation just seemed like a fun way to go. Now I'm ready to move on. I'm gonna do my 20 get out with a retirement and want to get into FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. So the homeland security/force protection in the Navy would be a good way to get my foot in the door.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alphabet soup makes me tingly.

Thanks for you service. Not sure why you want a career with organizations that trample the rights you fought for.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    How's it going everyone? AT2(AW) Beaty here asking a little help with putting in my ocs package.

My background: I have been enlisted in the Navy for nine years now. I have been stationed in Corpus Christi with Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 and in New Orleans with Strike Fighter Squadron 204. I have just recently pcsed to NAS JRB Fort Worth with Fleet Readiness Center West Det Fort Worth fixing the parts I probably helped make go bad on the F-18s I was working on in New Orleans. I have been deployed multiple times to Bahrain including time in Iraq and Kuwait. I grew up in Grapevine and am glad to be stationed back home.

I just recently graduated from the University of Oklahoma (don't get on to me guys lol, but BOOMER SOONER). My degree was in criminal justice. They have amazing programs for military plus that is were I went to school before joining the service. I have applied and been accepted to Penn State for their online homeland security program.

My question is does anyone know any other service members that are officer in homeland security/anti-terrorism/force protection fields. I am wondering because I am about to drop my OCS package. In the Navy you have three options to drop for at a time. I have set on Aviation Maintenance Officer (seeing is that is my current field) and Supply Corp. What I really want to do though is get into a program that has to do with my degree because when I leave the Navy I WILL NOT work in the aviation field, hence the degree path I have chosen. I am trying to find out if I need to go the intelligence route or if line officer specializing in homeland security is the way I need to go. The only problem is I don't know if line officer program is where I would go with this.

If any of you are prior Naval Officers or any Officer of any branch. I need some guidance because where I am stationed and have been stationed I have only met pilots and Aviation Maintenance Officers. Any help, guidance or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated.
    No guidance. Thanks for your service. If I would've met up with you here by the base in corpus I would've bought you a beer.
    Flour Bluff for life.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    No specific answer to your question, but wish you the best of luck. I too started out enlisted in the Army. Later applied for and was accepted into the Warrant Officer Candidate program and flight school and became a Cobra pilot.

Kudos for getting your degree from OU while still serving, that's quite an accomplishment.

Best of luck to you. Oh, and Go Sooners!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

For one, I was a prior-service Air Force officer that started out in the aircraft maintenance field when I was enlisted. The one thing I was adamant about when I got commissioned was NOT to go back into the aircraft maintenance field!

Secondly, if your interest is in AT/FP, then I would suggest putting NCIS as your first choice. I would also recommend submitting an application with the AFOSI as we had a USN LT in my organization who was a service warfare officer who was picked up to be an AFOSI Special Agent.

If your ultimate desire is to go into Federal Law Enforcement, I know for a fact that the FBI requires field experience in addition to an degree. The bad part is that a criminal justice degree isn't competitive for FBI applicants, they are looking for experts in the cyber, accounting, banking, etc. fields. However, if you have LE experience along with a degree, you'll have a chance (I've met quite a few FBI Special Agents who were police officers prior to joining the Bureau).

Lastly, if you are looking to get into the intelligence/counterintelligence field, then you will need a TS/SCI clearance. There are plenty of online sources that outline the requirements and disqualifiers, I would recommend researching them to make sure you are eligible as it could be a deal breaker. As a commissioned officer, you will have to get a collateral clearance as a minimum. And as far as I know, there is no reason you cannot pursue these areas as a line officer.

I work in the military security realm, both now as a defense contractor and while I was on active duty; if there is anything you'd like to ask please feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Contact the manpower "detail" officer of the specialty you want. He will know the current requirements for the USN.

That is not working out of the "chain of command."

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Former squid of 6 years here. I was in Nuclear field, so I don't have first hand experience, but I did know plenty of people who went OCS. From what I have heard and seen, I would say go Intel. You will have an active TS clearance separating, and I know those guys had no problems getting GOV jobs.

Top Bottom