• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    I'm interested in selling my "Sergeant York" Enfield P17 if I can establish a value. It's an Eddystone manufactured with matching numbers on receiver and bottom metal. I can't find numbers on the bolt; I'm not sure if they came that way, were removed, or located where I didn't see them. Condition is fair, with light very small pitting that was finished over and a bore that is somewhat dark but shootable. The walnut stock is good, appears to have been refinished but solid and free from cracks. I have a 1917 Remington made bayonet to go with it but no frog. What do ya'll think, I have absolutely no clue, don't see many on the net but maybe I didn't look in the right place.
    enfieldp17pic2.jpg
    Target Sports

Attachments

• enfieldp17pic2.jpg
      enfieldp17pic2.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 1,205

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I ususally see them go for at least $700, less if sporterized. The picture isn't really enough to gauge value.

FYI, "P" is a British designation, ie "P14". The proper nomenclature for your rifle is "M1917". As your rifle wasn't made by RSAF Enfield, calling a "P17 Enfield" may confuse people.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Picture is not the best for determining condition. Going off your info, I'd say about $550 - $650 with a refinished stock. I'd be interested in the bayonet, should you decide to sell.

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Thanks.. that helps me decide. Agree, my pictures are not very good. That is the primary reason for me joining this forum. If I decide to sell, I'll be looking for a buyer who lives close enough to meet somewhere and inspect the rifle firsthand. I don't want to ship or have a buyer relying on sketchy pictures. That's a recipe for either the buyer or the seller being unhappy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    oldscot3,

The VAST MAJORITY of US Rifle, Model of 1917, have been refinished at least once. SOME of them, that I've seen, were refinished 4 or more times.
    (MOST are "marked" by the arsenal that refinished/repaired the rifle.)

ImVho as a NON-expert, a refinished rifle is worth about 500.oo IF in ORIGINAL configuration.

IF you could find an ORIGINAL Model 1917 rifle, that has NOT been rebuilt/refinished & that is in NRA VG or better condition, I would guess something over 1000.oo.

Note: I would be a buyer & would "pay a premium for" a "marked" RED RIVER ARMY DEPOT Model 1917 in GREAT condition.
    (I have a pre-WWII SAAD Model of 1917 rebuild, that is in "near mint" pre-WWII arsenal-rebuilt condition. = It was NOT cheap to buy.)

yours, satx

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Many a Remington built 1917 ended up getting it's ears ground off & sporterized. They were popular in .458 win mag.
    Yeah, I've got one of those myself. The action was bought 30+ years ago and (at least where I was) was very cheap compared to what you had to pay for a nice mauser action.

BTW, if I remember correctly, Remington did it themselves, Model 30 was it?

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    oldscot3,

The VAST MAJORITY of US Rifle, Model of 1917, have been refinished at least once. SOME of them, that I've seen, were refinished 4 or more times.
    (MOST are "marked" by the arsenal that refinished/repaired the rifle.)

ImVho as a NON-expert, a refinished rifle is worth about 500.oo IF in ORIGINAL configuration.

IF you could find an ORIGINAL Model 1917 rifle, that has NOT been rebuilt/refinished & that is in NRA VG or better condition, I would guess something over 1000.oo.

I think my rifle must have been a "re-import" if that's the right term. Sold to some foreign country by our government , then purchased by a U.S. importer and brought back in. I would tend to think they, perhaps did a refinish. Something akin to a "rattle can engine rebuild" if you know anything about old cars. They improved the looks to the novice gun show buyer, but didn't really do anything to actually improve the gun except to maybe arrest the rusting.

My particular rifle has all the correct parts (to the best of my knowledge), is shootable, but the bore is dark and the rifling very worn. I originally bought it for display because I like history and love the story of Sergeant Alvin York.

Note: I would be a buyer & would "pay a premium for" a "marked" RED RIVER ARMY DEPOT Model 1917 in GREAT condition.
    (I have a pre-WWII SAAD Model of 1917 rebuild, that is in "near mint" pre-WWII arsenal-rebuilt condition. = It was NOT cheap to buy.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    oldsct3,

The ONLY way to KNOW what your 1917 is worth is to have it INSPCTED by an expert on these rifles.

IF you were here in SATX, I would introduce you to CSM Kersh, Retired. = The Sergeant Major has forgotten more about US military rifles than most people know or will ever learn.
    OR
    IF you were in WV, I would have "my little brother of the heart" do the same, as Ed is a real expert in US military rifles too & also an internationally known match shooter.
    (IF Ed doesn't know an answer, he can find it, through his legion of other knowledgeable friends.)

SORRY but what I know about US military rifles is what I've learned from my Army career, from the curator of the USAMPS museum, from the CSM & from "little brother" Ed. = I'm an expert in NADA.

yours, satx

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Quote: The ONLY way to KNOW what your 1917 is worth is to have it INSPCTED by an expert on these rifles.

I remember from my old economics 101 teacher, any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That applies here I think, however there is a point where, if it's current is worth less than what I would pay it, I'll just keep it. At that point what I should do is take it out of the safe and hang it on a wall where I can at least get the enjoyment of seeing it every day.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Definitely need to make sure person inspecting rifle knows what their looking at. When my ex took my guns to get appraised for divorce she got hosed. She paid over $3k for appraisal. And if I remember correctly their appraisal value was under by $25k. This was actually done by Collectors Firearms. They lumped all my AKs value at $600. Majority of mine I would say are worth <$1k.
    They lumped all my ARs at same price $600. I could get close to $800-1k for just the scopes on them. From what I remember the only stuff they priced close to market value were my WWI/WW2 US rifles, M1 Garands, M2 carbines, ect

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom