• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JaygunFu

IT nomad
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Newbie being a newbie here so please feel free to scold me for posting here (or remove/relocate my post) but does anyone here have a background working with end mills and lathes?

I can use some advice or help (pointers), if you're willing would even pay for your service (your hourly rate based on the work/complexity) to see it being video recorded if you're aleady setup to do so then you can share with me and the world on youtube if you're up for it.

Please feel free to pm me.
    Gun Zone Deals

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Endmills are typically use in Mills not on a lathe.

Unless you are just making a hole in a part.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    CAn you use an end mill as a drill press in a pinch?

An end mill is a cutter that goes into a Mill,knee mill or machining center.

If you have the correct cutter holder yes you can use them in a drill press.

JaygunFu

IT nomad
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Thanks everyone, I'm cutting lower grade steel and mostly aluminum.

I'll be taking bites in millimeters and not inches so hopefully my equipment will tolerate me abusing it this way for a short while.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    while cutting Aluminum I would recommend going with a paste/stick type lube for that purpose of if you have nothing else use a wax candle something like 1/2" diameter or if you dont have wax some bars of soap work well.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another nugget of gold, thanks!
    Are you in NJ or Texas?
    Reason I ask: There are very different issues at hand depending on what state you reside in as to what you can and can not do on a milling machine/lathe.
    Feel free to PM me if you would like clarification.
    If you're in Texas, welcome. I just moved here from a lifetime in NJ. I have never been happier.
    If you're in Texas and need some endmills, I probably have a few you can have. I'm in Allen, north of Dallas. We can figure out a place to meet or I can put them in the mail.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    theoretically yes, but the problem is that drill presses are not designed for lateral forces being applied to them. They are designed for vertical movement, not horizontal. the bearings in a milling machine are more robust than a typical drill press.
    Yeah, drill presses really don't like lateral forces. Some might take some abuse, others not so much. It's also worth mentioning that the chuck on most drill presses are just pressed into a tapered hole in the press. That's fine for vertical work, but I've had one pop loose when trying to apply lateral pressure (was not trying to mill metal, which would have been far harder on the press).

Top Bottom