• ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I just have to draw an x between my dreams and my budget.
    Don't be so tight you screw yourself over; Lord knows I've done that to myself more than once.

A Walker county buddy bought a single axle enclosed trailer in McLennan county this February and "saved" a bunch of money. Looks great and professionally made but, no Mfg., S/N, or VIN plates affixed.

He tries to register/title it and the red flags start flying! Walker Co. Sheriff (maybe DPS, not sure) does their check and it is finally approved. Back to the tax office he goes and since there are no Mfg., S/N, or VIN plates the paperwork now must go to the Beaumont Regional DPS office where it was denied due to . . . crap, now I don't recall the details but, hopefully you get my point. :)
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So I might have to move down a size. Damn association at the rent house doesn't allow trailers. I am trying to figure a workaround but I may end up having to get a 5x8 or 5x10 trailer and a shed. That way I can clean some crap from my garage (mostly storage from downsize from house to rent house) and park the trailer in there. Strangley they allow back yard sheds. I would park the trailer in the back but due to a tree it would require driving through the neighbors yard to get there.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Leaving it at the property is out of the question?

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Leaving it at the property is out of the question?
    Yeah. Having the property is the reason for needing the trailer. It is just unkempt woods with a usable lake nearby.

The last weekend we went up there to work on it I had the suburban loaded to the gills. With 4 kids and a big dog inside it was fairly full. I had the carrier in the hitch with a cooler for drinks and grilling food and a large tote with outdoor gear like a chainsaw, gloves, a gallon of gas and oil for said saw.

It all packed in good until the rain hit with no cover. There was pops, in the rain, packing it all back up alone. At that point I decided I needed a trailer. One, for being able to store the crap in so I don't have to load it up every time and pack the family in like a sausage. Two, for having something easier to load if I get caught in the rain again.

At this time, setting up storage at the property is not an option until I get it cleared to build something.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The problem I have owning an enclosed trailer is keeping the damn thing empty and resisting the urge to use it as storage shed.............I got weary of moving things in out every time I had to use it.....bought another storage shed.....

It stays empty now....ready to go........

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    OP Open trailer out of the?
    You have a Suburban.
    70439b893c34c6692bce15366f882c73.jpg

I have this 5x10. Tilt bed so loading mower,quad,bikes etc is simple as pulling the pin and tilting ass end down.
    About to pick up a tandem axle with brakes so I can move my tractor when I need and in the near future will be building stuff on my property in preparation for relocating there before too long.

As for the “maintenance” costs they are pretty negligible since purchase (4yrs now) reg less than 80$ and some grease for the wheel bearings which was in the grease gum anyway. Did lose one brg cap that dam bear broke me at 2.99 for a pair.
    Take care of the tires ie air pressure and they last a good while. Maint costs on a trailer should (to me) be a nonissue for consideration when looking to buy one. Unless looking at used and need to account for going thru items as one would/should with such a thing.

As far as storage it either lives in the back yard in San Antonio (8ft gate in to back yard). Or I leave it at times on the land. Most often in SA so if I need it it is not a 150 round trip to retrieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I am definitely looking at new for now. I have tire kicked a couple used one that tend to be not exactly what I want. General maintenance is not an issue as I work in s ahop setting all day and can do my own tires, hubs and wiring if needed. I also have "a guy" that can weld if I need basic repairs.

As to the trailer type, originally I was looking at a 14 to 16ft utility trailer. My plan was that I could use it to haul crap back and forth, use as a camping or shooting platform if I find myself in tall grass. That led me to a car hauler with stake pockets. Then I could haul a car if needed and still have a flat trailer to haul.

The last weekend with getting caught in the rain led me to want a enclosed cargo trailer. I just have to balance that with wanting to get a side by side or golf cart in a couple years.

At this point I am leaning to a slightly smaller enclosed trailer as my rent house situation will limit trailer parking.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Well hell, I called 6 places (Houston, b/cs, Waco and temple) nobody has a 5x10 with a side door in stock. Found one place with a 5x8 with no side door. A couple 4x6 units and a couple 6x12 units. I chatted with one feller for a bit that said he is selling more trailers than ever but he can't get any more in. He is getting g a couple in June / July and he called whoever he gets them from and they told him to plan on Jan 2022 delivery for any new orders.

It was the same story everywhere I called. Big delays from manufacture. They are having component sourcing issues.

Back to the drawing board for now.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well hell, I called 6 places (Houston, b/cs, Waco and temple) nobody has a 5x10 with a side door in stock. Found one place with a 5x8 with no side door. A couple 4x6 units and a couple 6x12 units. I chatted with one feller for a bit that said he is selling more trailers than ever but he can't get any more in. He is getting g a couple in June / July and he called whoever he gets them from and they told him to plan on Jan 2022 delivery for any new orders.

It was the same story everywhere I called. Big delays from manufacture. They are having component sourcing issues.

I drove by my local place thinking I could get you a cost comparison. Didn't see one enclosed trailer on his lot.

They may have been in the back but usually he has a ton of them.

Hope the one I ordered is still in the works.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

Might be worth taking a look at https://inventory.topnotchtruck.com/ I was there today picking up a 7x14, and saw a couple smaller single axle trailers (not sure on exact sizes). Good guys to deal with.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Might be worth taking a look at https://inventory.topnotchtruck.com/ I was there today picking up a 7x14, and saw a couple smaller single axle trailers (not sure on exact sizes). Good guys to deal with.
    That place is expensive and those Haulmark trailers are pretty much the same as my Lark.

My 20' L x 8.5' W x 7' T Lark was just over $6k before tt&l. They're asking $7,500 for a 14' x 7' x 7'.

I had a "Texan" (rebranded Lark) 14' x 7' x 7' that cost $4,500 before tt&l.

Damn. I guess that's why they have inventory.

I highly suggest shopping around.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We got this 6X14 Carry-On used for $3,000. We use it to chase dirt bike races around Texas. Previous owner insulated the walls and added 30amp electric to it that we power with a 2,000watt Gen. Also has 2 beds that fold down and roof AC/heat. It works great for us, minus the no shower issue. A quick 2min rinse would be great after a day of racing.

I wouldn't own a single axel trailer. Dual axel just gives so many options if you have a mishap. You have a blow out on a single... your SOL. At least with a duel, you can limp to safety.

So far we've been happy with this trailer. It's got bearing buddies installed. I keep them checked, tires checked and axels greased.

The V of the trailer works good for us. The previous owner built a cabinet there and that is where we keep our groceries and Misc. stuff. It don't bother my F150 too much. Rolls pretty smooth up to 70mph. About 75-80 it'll walk a little.
    IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 250360

View attachment 250361

View attachment 250362

View attachment 250363

Wanted a toy hauler and sleeping quarters
    2016 Interstate
    6x12 round nose
    two 3500lb axles with brakes

Pulled two big adventure bikes to Colorado las summer.

Previous owner bought it new in order to move his college grad from college back to Houston.
    Wound up using it as a storage locker for said stuff for over 3 years.

Got it for about 1/2 what the asking price is for the one linked.
    Facebook marketplace is a field of trailers to buy.

Replaced tires - $350 (they were date coded 2016)
    Sprayed in bed liner on the floor - $400
    Added Pit Bull trailer restraints, e-track and shelving up front - $400
    Break away battery - $35

Dual axle is less susceptible to trailer sway and proper weight loading is less critical ... still important, just not as critical.
    A trailer aid ramp replaces carrying a jack with dual axles
    Amazon product ASIN B000YOH16I
    Look for a trailer that has a single piece roof. Many have a seam down the middle
    Make sure the axles have bearing buddies.

Get yourself an infrared tire temp gauge to monitor tire temps and bearing temps.
    Amazon product ASIN B07B1W45TT
    1000lbs doesn't account for very much stuff.

What I found while shopping is that new trailers bring a premium price. And they do depreciate about 15-20%. But then they stabilize forever, it seems.

Good luck in your quest.
    Damn good info there, Sir! I appreciate you sharing those links.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    That place is expensive and those Haulmark trailers are pretty much the same as my Lark.

My 20' L x 8.5' W x 7' T Lark was just over $6k before tt&l. They're asking $7,500 for a 14' x 7' x 7'.

I had a "Texan" (rebranded Lark) 14' x 7' x 7' that cost $4,500 before tt&l.

Damn. I guess that's why they have inventory.

I highly suggest shopping around.

The prices listed on their website are ”MSRP” and don’t necessarily reflect what you will pay when you show up to buy. They sold at least three other 7x14 and 7x16 trailers in just the hour I was there, i.e., they won’t have inventory for very long. That being said, prices across the board are up significantly over the past couple of years, partly due to increased material (steel, aluminum) costs.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I have a WW 5x10 enclosed. Previously I had a 7x14 WW car hauler. Great trailers, but rust is an issue, as they age and develop leaks.
    The top is steel made up in sections about 4-ft long. The seams there tend to leak, plus the horizontal seam where they meet the walls. Gotta watch for that and stay on top of it, or coat the whole thing with bedliner. Stout trailer otherwise, HD axles, came with brakes but I don't use them. Definitely get the ramp door, get the best tires you can find + spare, and change them every 5 years max. Get a Bulldog coupler.

Top Bottom