• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I am in the market for an enclosed cargo trailer and plan on buying in the next couple weeks. I am looking to see if anybody has any opinions or stuff to look for / avoid. This will technically be my first trailer purchase.

Here is a couple bullet points that have me to this point.

Given tax and registration I think new is the best option. This also removes doubt on tires and maintenance by past owners.

It will serve fairly light duty and not be heavily loaded most of its life. I have a small piece of property ant it will be used to haul crap back and forth. Mainly stuff like a push mower, wood chipper, cooler, swim gear, camping gear.

I will assume the normal load will probably never be over 1000lbs cargo.

I feel a single axle will be sufficient.

Tow rig is a 2012 4x4 suburban.

I want to be able to stand so 6' interior is preferred.

The one I am looking at is a 6x12.

With all that, I don't want to under buy. The 4 and 5' wide ones mostly seem to be only 4 and 5 foot tall inside. I may do shelves on one side to hold totes with all the above listed crap and I think 6' wide should work. As to the length, the smaller ones in 6' wide are 10 and 12' before you hit tandem axle and I don't think I need the extra parts or weight capacity.

Here are a couple questions for anybody that has input.

It seems most the single axle units don't have trailer brakes... is this something that could be added or would it require an axle replacement?

Opinions on curved, flat and angled fronts?

I like the idea of the man door on the side, opinions on the big fold down door or barn doors on the back?

Is there something I should be looking into as fas as material construction of the interior or exterior walls. Most seem plywood interior and aluminum exterior.

I'll give the link to the one I am looking at. Overall build (and cost) seems slightly higher thank some but the interior looks trimmed out better than others.

I am in B/CS so traveling a couple hours is in the plan to get the the better selection.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I'll reply with the trailer I would like in my head doesn't seem to exist. I would rather have something like a 14ft utility trailer with an 8 or 10ft cargo trailer bolted on the front. This would give me both sealed storage and 4 or 6 ft of exterior deck space for bikes and stuff like that.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    First off, you need to understand that most enclosed trailers are built with very thin walls, so you're not going to be hanging stuff off the walls that have any kind of weight to them.

Next, the biggest downside to a single axle is what happens when you have a blow out? Most trailer tires look great and have plenty of tread, right up until they blow going down the road due to age. With a single axle, a blowout will cause some severe swaying, and all the weight goes straight on the rim. With a tandem axle, at least you still have one inflated tire to support the load and keep things steady. Potholes at high speed are another downside to single axle. Only one tire per side will often send at least half the trailer airborne for a quick hop that can also be hard on the tire.

Front escape doors are great if you just need to grab something small from inside and don't want to have to unlock, fold down the back gate. Rear ramp is important if you're going to be hauling mowers and such.

You can add brakes to an existing axle, but if you have to ask that, you're better off looking for one that comes with it since there is some work involved. And since you're buying new, why not find what you want, even if you have to order it. Most trailer dealers will order you whatever you want as far as options or upgrades, so don't think you have to settle for something on the lot.

Next decide what all you will be hauling inside and determine how you are going to strap it down in your trailer. You can add on some floor mounted rails yourself, or get the trailer company to do it while building.

Sloped vs. flat front has a few considerations. Sure you might see a hair improvement in mpg's with sloped, and you can make tighter turns with a shorter trailer tongue, but inside the useable space will suffer.

Whatever you do, be sure you get a spare tire and wheel with your new trailer.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'll reply with the trailer I would like in my head doesn't seem to exist. I would rather have something like a 14ft utility trailer with an 8 or 10ft cargo trailer bolted on the front. This would give me both sealed storage and 4 or 6 ft of exterior deck space for bikes and stuff like that.

Like these? They do make them.

1_31999_398492_3865231.jpg

side-walk-in-door.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    First off, you need to understand that most enclosed trailers are built with very thin walls, so you're not going to be hanging stuff off the walls that have any kind of weight to them.

Next, the biggest downside to a single axle is what happens when you have a blow out? Most trailer tires look great and have plenty of tread, right up until they blow going down the road due to age. With a single axle, a blowout will cause some severe swaying, and all the weight goes straight on the rim. With a tandem axle, at least you still have one inflated tire to support the load and keep things steady. Potholes at high speed are another downside to single axle. Only one tire per side will often send at least half the trailer airborne for a quick hop that can also be hard on the tire.

Front escape doors are great if you just need to grab something small from inside and don't want to have to unlock, fold down the back gate. Rear ramp is important if you're going to be hauling mowers and such.

You can add brakes to an existing axle, but if you have to ask that, you're better off looking for one that comes with it since there is some work involved. And since you're buying new, why not find what you want, even if you have to order it. Most trailer dealers will order you whatever you want as far as options or upgrades, so don't think you have to settle for something on the lot.

Next decide what all you will be hauling inside and determine how you are going to strap it down in your trailer. You can add on some floor mounted rails yourself, or get the trailer company to do it while building.

Sloped vs. flat front has a few considerations. Sure you might see a hair improvement in mpg's with sloped, and you can make tighter turns with a shorter trailer tongue, but inside the useable space will suffer.

Whatever you do, be sure you get a spare tire and wheel with your new trailer.

I pretty much agree with all this.

One point to clarify though. A V nose (sloped) has the same tongue as a flat front. The V is just from the box forward. The tongue looks shorter but you actually gain space over the tongue. A 14' V nose is 14' plus the V.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

In your situation I don't see the need. You really want all your stuff inside. Think weather and theft.

Those trailers are geared toward guys hauling something too big to fit in the box.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Thanks for all the input so far. I just have to draw an x between my dreams and my budget. Those partially enclosed or hybrid trailers are exactually what I was looking for, just not as big on the flat bed part. Probably not in my budget though.

I am also a firm believer in at the least having a spare and jack handy. I learned in my early 20's with a friend the importance of tire and hub maintenance. We nearly set a boat trailer on fire when we friction welddled the hub to the spindle.

As a side question on the ability to install shelving. If the walls are not the best at load bearing, can you build a stout 4 post frame and count on the floor to hold it upright?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There are really only two brands of enclosed trailers of this type.

Wells Cargo and everyone else.

Wells Cargo are the best quality but you pay for it. Beyond that they're all about the same with different names on them. Lark builds many that are badged differently.

A Lark or similar will serve you well for what you're doing.

I run my Lark for work and it's getting it's ass kicked after 3 years. My previous Wells Cargo ran 8 years and was in better shape than this one. But I run heavy and a ton of miles across nasty roads and even worse jobsites.

Get the rear ramp. Even just entering it is so much easier than stepping up. Once you load something with wheels you'll really appreciate it. Trust me. I'm in my trailer probably 10 times a day at work and will walk around to the ramp if possible.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks for all the input so far. I just have to draw an x between my dreams and my budget. Those partially enclosed or hybrid trailers are exactually what I was looking for, just not as big on the flat bed part. Probably not in my budget though.

I am also a firm believer in at the least having a spare and jack handy. I learned in my early 20's with a friend the importance of tire and hub maintenance. We nearly set a boat trailer on fire when we friction welddled the hub to the spindle.

As a side question on the ability to install shelving. If the walls are not the best at load bearing, can you build a stout 4 post frame and count on the floor to hold it upright?

You can screw to the wall framing and it will hold up.

Most floors are 3/4" plywood and can handle normal shelving weight.

You can also see the screws so you know where wall and floor framing is located.

My current trailer. These shelves have close to 80k miles on them and haven't given me any issues.
    a66c767aebb98cd225edc7bd2fc698a9.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you want to special order there may be a long lead time.

I have a Wells Cargo on order and they estimate 24-28 weeks to build it.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

They exist, look at Sundowner brand and several RV trailers are made that way. On brakes with that size trailer and loading you don't need brakes. Until you get up to tandem axles and 3-4,000 lbs of load don't worry. Now my story would be different if you had a Prius etc.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    They exist, look at Sundowner brand and several RV trailers are made that way. On brakes with that size trailer and loading you don't need brakes. Until you get up to tandem axles and 3-4,000 lbs of load don't worry. Now my story would be different if you had a Prius etc.
    Thanks. Most of those trailers I found after knowing what I was looking for had like 10ft or more flatbed. I was thinking like 4 feet. Just something to put 3 or 4 bicycles on. Not 3 atv's or dirt bikes.

No brakes on a smaller trailer seems to make sense. I have towed some risky, heavy shit with no trailer brakes and a questionable tow rig. The suburban should do ok. Like I said, I think it will be under 1k in cargo.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    InterstateTrailer_05.jpg

InterstateTrailer_11b.jpg

20200813_063437.jpg

20210114_155045[1].jpg

Wanted a toy hauler and sleeping quarters
    2016 Interstate
    6x12 round nose
    two 3500lb axles with brakes

Pulled two big adventure bikes to Colorado las summer.

Previous owner bought it new in order to move his college grad from college back to Houston.
    Wound up using it as a storage locker for said stuff for over 3 years.

Got it for about 1/2 what the asking price is for the one linked.
    Facebook marketplace is a field of trailers to buy.

Replaced tires - $350 (they were date coded 2016)
    Sprayed in bed liner on the floor - $400
    Added Pit Bull trailer restraints, e-track and shelving up front - $400
    Break away battery - $35

Dual axle is less susceptible to trailer sway and proper weight loading is less critical ... still important, just not as critical.
    A trailer aid ramp replaces carrying a jack with dual axles
    Amazon product ASIN B000YOH16I
    Look for a trailer that has a single piece roof. Many have a seam down the middle
    Make sure the axles have bearing buddies.

Get yourself an infrared tire temp gauge to monitor tire temps and bearing temps.
    Amazon product ASIN B07B1W45TT
    1000lbs doesn't account for very much stuff.

What I found while shopping is that new trailers bring a premium price. And they do depreciate about 15-20%. But then they stabilize forever, it seems.

Good luck in your quest.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    There are really only two brands of enclosed trailers of this type.

Wells Cargo and everyone else.

Wells Cargo are the best quality but you pay for it. Beyond that they're all about the same with different names on them. Lark builds many that are badged differently.

A Lark or similar will serve you well for what you're doing.

I run my Lark for work and it's getting it's ass kicked after 3 years. My previous Wells Cargo ran 8 years and was in better shape than this one. But I run heavy and a ton of miles across nasty roads and even worse jobsites.

Get the rear ramp. Even just entering it is so much easier than stepping up. Once you load something with wheels you'll really appreciate it. Trust me. I'm in my trailer probably 10 times a day at work and will walk around to the ramp if possible.
    When I read this it made me think. After looking at probably 30 web pages for dealers it started to feel like it was all the same trailers. Just different colors and trim. I was thinking all these "custom builders" are just ordering spec trailers from a catalog of the same parts everyone else uses.

Then you have the guy that sells something that is the same size for twice as much. You only see the difference in quality of fasteners, square corners and things like grommets when wires pass through metal.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    “A trailer aid ramp replaces carrying a jack with dual axles“

If you go this route make sure you get the bright yellow one. It’s makes it easier to not leave it on the side of the road when you’re done changing your tire LOL

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I am in the market for an enclosed cargo trailer and plan on buying in the next couple weeks. I am looking to see if anybody has any opinions or stuff to look for / avoid. This will technically be my first trailer purchase.

Here is a couple bullet points that have me to this point.

Given tax and registration I think new is the best option. This also removes doubt on tires and maintenance by past owners.

It will serve fairly light duty and not be heavily loaded most of its life. I have a small piece of property ant it will be used to haul crap back and forth. Mainly stuff like a push mower, wood chipper, cooler, swim gear, camping gear.

I will assume the normal load will probably never be over 1000lbs cargo.

I feel a single axle will be sufficient.

Tow rig is a 2012 4x4 suburban.

I want to be able to stand so 6' interior is preferred.

The one I am looking at is a 6x12.

With all that, I don't want to under buy. The 4 and 5' wide ones mostly seem to be only 4 and 5 foot tall inside. I may do shelves on one side to hold totes with all the above listed crap and I think 6' wide should work. As to the length, the smaller ones in 6' wide are 10 and 12' before you hit tandem axle and I don't think I need the extra parts or weight capacity.

Here are a couple questions for anybody that has input.

It seems most the single axle units don't have trailer brakes... is this something that could be added or would it require an axle replacement?

Opinions on curved, flat and angled fronts?

I like the idea of the man door on the side, opinions on the big fold down door or barn doors on the back?

Is there something I should be looking into as fas as material construction of the interior or exterior walls. Most seem plywood interior and aluminum exterior.

I'll give the link to the one I am looking at. Overall build (and cost) seems slightly higher thank some but the interior looks trimmed out better than others.

I am in B/CS so traveling a couple hours is in the plan to get the the better selection.

I would not even consider one without a side door on the "passenger" side.
    USED is great, you' save even if you buy new rubber and a spare!
    Trailer brakes can be added to single axle trailers easily, but not required at the load levels you describe.
    Smart purchase I loved mine and my son's Harley loves it now!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    So I might have to move down a size. Damn association at the rent house doesn't allow trailers. I am trying to figure a workaround but I may end up having to get a 5x8 or 5x10 trailer and a shed. That way I can clean some crap from my garage (mostly storage from downsize from house to rent house) and park the trailer in there. Strangley they allow back yard sheds. I would park the trailer in the back but due to a tree it would require driving through the neighbors yard to get there.

Top Bottom