• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    So a Faraday cage will protect devices from an EMP... Theoretically, can you run a ground strap to your car body and use the metal body panels / structure as a faraday cage for all the electronic goodies inside?

In other words, use the body of the vehicle itself as the faraday cage to protect the ECM, wiring, electronics, etc.

Don't think it would work, Faraday cages are a closed and sealed container and tested by placing a radio inside. If the radio can receive a signal the cage is ineffective. The same test can be done using a phone. If you can call the phone and it rings, that's a problem. Same in a car, if the radio will work, the car isn't protected
    Lynx Defense

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    Here is a good article - http://www.prepperfortress.com/emp-effects-vehicles/

Apparently, solar storms affect long lines of wires more than things like vehicles. This may be the reason for the advice of resetting the system.

That's a good summary of the EMP Commission test and the most glaring problem with it; that they failed to test all the vehicles to the maximum extent because they were financially liable for any damage they caused.

If I remember correctly, another issue with the EMP Commission testing was that the pulse generator they used was incapable of generating a EM pulse with an intial rise-time as steep as an actual nuclear reaction.

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    It’s not an electrical charge attacking, it’s an electro magnetic pulse. On straight flat wires, it won’t have any effect.

EM fields can certainly induce a charge on straight flat wires.

For relevant evidence see the Carrington Event, Starfish Prime and several Russian nuclear tests which showed significant damage to telephone and power transmission equipment as a result of charge induced on the transmission lines.

Garyd903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2020
    Naples Tx.
    I am curious. I have a well that is almost 400 ft. Deep I can run it from my propane generator. What is everyones opinion on the well motor being fried by an emp ? I have an extra control box for the well so could just replace it. I have the generator in a wood shed that is part of the well house. It has foil lined insulation in both compartments. It all runs on a 500 gallon propane tank that stays full. The chances of it being running are fairly. Slim since I run it once a month for a couple hours just to keep the battery charged.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am curious. I have a well that is almost 400 ft. Deep I can run it from my propane generator. What is everyones opinion on the well motor being fried by an emp ? I have an extra control box for the well so could just replace it. I have the generator in a wood shed that is part of the well house. It has foil lined insulation in both compartments. It all runs on a 500 gallon propane tank that stays full. The chances of it being running are fairly. Slim since I run it once a month for a couple hours just to keep the battery charged.

More than likely, if you are close enough to an EMP blast, a working well are probably going to be the least of your worries.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

Garyd903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2020
    Naples Tx.
    Thank. Good to be here. To zx9rcam. My understanding is a nuke can be detonated at a distance that is on the edge of the atmosphere and turn out the lights. Like anything else, I could just say what the heck or try to prepare for a problem. That is why I converted my generator to run on propane, it doesn’t go bad like gas. If a nuke lands within its kill range then I won’t have to worry. If it is far enough away, maybee I can still have water. I don’t plan to live in an underground bunker but do prep some

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ..... If a nuke lands within its kill range then I won’t have to worry. If it is far enough away, maybee I can still have water. I don’t plan to live in an underground bunker but do prep some

That's a good question. Unfortunatley, I don't know enough about EMP to answer it, but I'm in a similar situation and need to look into that as well. Also need to check to see if the wiring that goes down to the pump can carry the EMP charge and fry the pump motor.

Might not be a bad idea to find an old fashioned hand pump you can plumb into the well piping just in case. If you want water pressure, you'd need to get a tank up on stilts to go along with the hand or wind pump and plumb that in.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    That's a good question. Unfortunatley, I don't know enough about EMP to answer it, but I'm in a similar situation and need to look into that as well. Also need to check to see if the wiring that goes down to the pump can carry the EMP charge and fry the pump motor.

Might not be a bad idea to find an old fashioned hand pump you can plumb into the well piping just in case. If you want water pressure, you'd need to get a tank up on stilts to go along with the hand or wind pump and plumb that in.
    Bison makes a nice stainless steel hand pump that you can plumb into your existing well for about a grand.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    So a Faraday cage will protect devices from an EMP... Theoretically, can you run a ground strap to your car body and use the metal body panels / structure as a faraday cage for all the electronic goodies inside?

In other words, use the body of the vehicle itself as the faraday cage to protect the ECM, wiring, electronics, etc.
    Your assumption is that the metal portion of the car body has no logical holes, like fiber panels or windows.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Thank. Good to be here. To zx9rcam. My understanding is a nuke can be detonated at a distance that is on the edge of the atmosphere and turn out the lights. Like anything else, I could just say what the heck or try to prepare for a problem. That is why I converted my generator to run on propane, it doesn’t go bad like gas. If a nuke lands within its kill range then I won’t have to worry. If it is far enough away, maybee I can still have water. I don’t plan to live in an underground bunker but do prep some
    Does your generator have any electronics (e.g diodes) or inverter logic?

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I am not sure if this has been linked here or not.

https://www.empshield.com/?matchtyp...b32zz35eQ8r4sOOQDdRfis7SdU-WqbssaAuNpEALw_wcB

I have one installed on my wife's suburban. Being stranded due to an EMP is a big concern on my list bad shit that "could" happen.

They have units for houses, cars, generators and other things.

I am not connected or affiliated but do have a couple coupon codes if anybody is looking.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom