• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure about being attacked from behind. Very bad situation there all around. Especially when you don't really know that the footsteps are an attacker, or some kid trying to catch up to his friends.

Facing the attacker: good stuff to think about.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Not sure about being attacked from behind. Very bad situation there all around. Especially when you don't really know that the footsteps are an attacker, or some kid trying to catch up to his friends.

Facing the attacker: good stuff to think about.

Agreed, you can't know who the steps are. Also I don't like the shooting backwards deal. I can see using the falling away move and the roll move.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The way I understand it, "Instructor Zero" is pretty much a fraud.

Regardless, to the point of the thread, here's a great video that really highlights some of the possibilities:

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake

Regardless, to the point of the thread, here's a great video that really highlights some of the possibilities:

Good video, much to learn about this. But SIG, are you trying to say that someone who calls them self "Instructor Zero" could possibly be a fraud? LOL

I still say I could master that falling backwards move, if I trained enough.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    He has apparently led a lot of people to believe he was formerly Italian SOF in some manner or another, but apparently the word from a number of people is he in no way, shape or form served with any Italian special operations unit.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    Anytime you start one person with a distinct advantage (knife in hand/gun in concealed holster) don't be surprised at the outcome. Start each in the same state of readiness without any advantage and things change. Start each in the same state of readiness and watch how the gun shows it's advantages.

I'm not discounting the dangers of the knife. I'm drawing attention to distinct advantage given to the knife wielder in the scenarios.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX

No doubt he's an outstanding shooter, but I have my doubts as to him having formally been in any SF unit, too.

As to the Dan Inosanto video, it's just a small slice (sorry) from the 80s police training video "Surviving Edged Weapons" - it might look a little dated nowadays, but the lessons are as sharp (sorry) now as they were back then; definitely recommended viewing. The lessons I picked up solely from that video are what I credit to my surviving a train-mugging in Cape Town against 3 guys.

Here's the full video for you sports fans:

Last edited:

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    It always amazed me how commonly people just assume a gun is always going to beat a knife..
    probably the worse was that terrible facebook meme, something like "A man walked up pulled a knife on me and asked if I'd die for my family. I laughed, reached in my pocket pulled me gun and said 'No, but I'd kill for them."
    I get the basic idea.. but some people truly think a gun in the belt/trunk/glove box somehow is going to beat a knife already in the hand.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    An edged weapon at close range is probably the thing I fear the most, because it is so unpredictable, easily concealed, easily and quickly employed, and when people on the street use a blade, it's often very erratic, brutal and quick. This is why so much of the edged weapon training commonly seen from Krav Maga and other martial arts schools tends to be very unrealistic in giving people a totally unrealistic outlook on how someone might use an edged weapon against them, and how they think they can counteract it.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    An edged weapon at close range is probably the thing I fear the most, because it is so unpredictable, easily concealed, easily and quickly employed, and when people on the street use a blade, it's often very erratic, brutal and quick. This is why so much of the edged weapon training commonly seen from Krav Maga and other martial arts schools tends to be very unrealistic in giving people a totally unrealistic outlook on how someone might use an edged weapon against them, and how they think they can counteract it.
    BINGO!
    Even jiu-jitsu's knife defenses are very limited, and often improperly applied. Sayco Kali, is what I chose for knife work. If you want training with firearms, you go to a firearms expert (probably somebody former military) you don't go to a TaeKwonDo school. If you want to learn knife fighting, you go to the guys that specialize in it. To defend the knife you have to know how you might be attacked with a knife.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I took a basic weapons retention and disarming class somewhat recently. It was very basic. Got me thinking more than taught me skills. Id like to take a higher level class combined with grappling and in more realistic scenarios.

Yes if you walk towards me slowly with your arm raised or thrust out the knife...miss...and hold it there, I know enough to take your knife. Very different than being ambushed with someone slashing or stabbing very quickly.

I am in downtown Austin frequently. I havent looked up the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more knife attacks than attacks with guns (actual attacks or robberies).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    People actually take him seriously? I don't think he even takes himself seriously, lol...

I am in downtown Austin frequently. I havent looked up the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more knife attacks than attacks with guns (actual attacks or robberies).
    I know a guy that got carved up with a box cutter on 6th street. I don't think the attacker was ever caught; just disappeared into the crowd. Had to have a billion stitches (ok not really, but it was a lot) on his chest, back and arm, but he's lucky nothing serious was cut.

Top Bottom