Electrician, technichian, maintenance, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Hello folks. I'm starting to hunt for a job near Huntsville. I grew up on a farm, and have been fixing and building things all my life. I've worked jobs from semi mechanic, to maintenance mechanic, welder, industrial electrician, residential electrician, etc. I've run all sorts of farming and construction equipment. And worked with livestock.
    Where I'm from, few are able to specialize in any one thing. Even as an electrician, I've run a trencher all morning, been called for an industrial service call in the afternoon, and put in a new gfci for a little old lady on the way home. It all adds up to a "jack of all trades" resume. I have a perfect driving record, and no criminal record.
    I don't want to drive into the city. And I don't want to travel much. I have standing offer down in Conroe for decent money. But it's on the outside of what I really want to commute to daily (45 min). And I'm not sure I want to work for anywhere big enough to have an HR dept anymore...
    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I am on Indeed, and have a few options. But I like the idea of working in a small network like this..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Hate to tell ya, but a 45 minute drive to work, anywhere near Houston, is fairly typical.
    I understand that is considered normal here. That doesn't mean I can't look. I'm actually expecting an offer 15 min from here. But they may require vaccinations, which is a no go for me. Which sucks, because it's 100% air conditioned, M-F, dayshift, and looks pretty mellow.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Time is money. I'd trade a couple bucks an hour for a local job, over slightly higher pay with alot more drive time. So let's just say the job 15 min away is $25/hrs. 8hrs + 30 min total drive time is 8.5hrs of my time. When compared to $30/hr 45min away. That's 8hrs + 1.5hrs minimum drive time, depending on traffic. So 9.5hrs per day plus gas and vehicle wear and tear. The math makes that a wash...

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I understand that is considered normal here. That doesn't mean I can't look. I'm actually expecting an offer 15 min from here. But they may require vaccinations, which is a no go for me. Which sucks, because it's 100% air conditioned, M-F, dayshift, and looks pretty mellow.
    Which vaccines are a no-go? Flu I get, Covid never again. Anyone except a hospital still requiring vaccines?

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Which vaccines are a no-go? Flu I get, Covid never again. Anyone except a hospital still requiring vaccines?
    It's medical. They say covid is done "for now". Flu is almost a certainty, though I may be able to get an exemption. And they're pushing for pre hire bloodwork.
    One rep says he can get me out of all of it, but another, more "company" type says maybe, but probably not.
    If I accept anything, I will get the agreement in writing.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    What about TDCJ?
    Have you checked their openings?
    They are always looking for maintenance supervisors.
    I've looked at it. But as a niave country boy, I figured I might not be cut out for that environment. But I really don't know that much about it. A tour of the medium security facility back home was a real eye opener.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    1000001507.jpg
    1000001592.jpg
    1000001509.jpg

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I suppose that I should mention that in IL only one person per company (generally the owner) has to carry an electrical license. I have plenty of hours to take the journeyman test, even the master. But I'm not convinced that I want to go back to that world entirely. And I'm not motivated to take the test and pay the fees if I don't. It's not out of the question, but I definitely want to consider things that aren't 100% electrical in nature.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Hold tight on the vax. Your body, your choice.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    You will need to meme choices. Close to home but release your medical history. Just accept that you will not get everything, you have two good offers but seem to want it both ways

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Hold tight on the vax. Your body, your choice.
    Thanks. The only way anyone is putting that COVID shot in me is if I'm already dead when they do it. I still have some savings, I have time. But this job forum was something that we tried in IL, but there weren't enough people close enough together to make it work. So since it's here, I had to try.

Top Bottom