Gun Zone Deals

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    What you see a method to control your vehicle. Nothing would prevent someone you did not want to control it as well.
    Yes, I could start and run a 1967 Chevy with a screwdriver and a jumper, but I prefer that to someone remotely controlling my transportation.
    The current systems cannot be disabled.
    I had a 2014 Infiniti Q50 that had a generation of communications that stopped working in 2016. They asked if I wanted to pay $500 to update the communication. No friggen way. Everyone should have an off switch or the ability to buy a car not being monitored.

My current car app asks if I would like to share my driving habits with an insurance company for a possible reduction in rates. Screw that.
    Agree 100%. Add to that, gen X might be the last generation with the mechanical knowledge to rip off a car with a screwdriver. I’m fairly certain that a pre-connected car with a kill switch and manual transmission is probably the most secure car to have.
    Guns International

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    If your car can be started from an app, then it can be disabled remotely.
    Yup. Especially good if it is stolen. More carjacking going on than malicious car companies disabling your car. But I see your point. That same app notifies me if the alarm goes off.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1670445600992.png

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I want this to happen here. It’s the only way I think that the govt will stop trying to ram these down our throats. We aren’t as invested yet as other parts of the world in them. Yet. It needs to happen in California and other coastal states since they are the ones pushing this crap. I’m not opposed to them necessarily, but I don’t want the govt using our tax dollars to push a vanity item.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    As a Civil Engineer, I work on a lot of TxDOT projects and attend their conferences.
    This upcoming year, there is an emphasis on updating our infrastructure to accommodate electric vehicles (charging locations/alternatives), ROVs, and other alternative fuel modes of transportation. Safety is also a big item.

In October this year TxDOT presented the following to Texas Civil Engineers like this:

In the 1800s, there was this "thing" called a Rail Road. There were those that were for it and those that were against it. Townships that were against accommodating and/or adapting to the new Rail Road were left behind and became ghost towns...

In the 1900s, there was this new thing that was invented and it was called the "automobile". These new-fangled things needed roads and fueling stations. Just like the railroads, there were those that were for them and those that were against them. Towns that embraced the automobile thrived, and the towns that only embraced the railroads and horseback became ghost towns.

Here we are, on the cusp of a new transportation technology (electric/alternative/ROV, etc) and we find ourselves in the same position as the last turn of the century. Like before, there are those that are for the new measures and of course lots of opposition to the new technology. As a STATE, we either embrace the need (develop charging stations, upgrade our roads, etc.) or become a ghost town.

In short, EVs and alternative fuel vehicles are here to stay. We either adapt as a STATE or die.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    No one has a problem with the choice. It's the being forced to bend the knee that is the issue.

When the technology is mature in all phases I have no doubt the ICE will go the way of the dodo for cars. That is probably 50 plus years away because there has to be new energey production methods i.e. fusion or the mini nuke reactors as a foundation cause you're just not going to produce the power needed with wind and solar. Then the battery tech needs to mature. For God sake we're just a couple steps beyond Gilligan's Island coconut batteries or Bagdad batteries. They can't store enough or charge fast enough yet.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

There are only two ways to make “electric vehicles” work for most Americans:

1) Implant power sources in ALL roadways;

or,

2) Design them with quick change batteries and build a massive network of battery change stations

Neither is llkely to happen any time soon.

leVieux

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    >

There are only two ways to make “electric vehicles” work for most Americans:

1) Implant power sources in ALL roadways;

or,

2) Design them with quick change batteries and build a massive network of battery change stations

Neither is llkely to happen any time soon.

leVieux
    Neither generates the electricity needed to power these vehicles.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    As a Civil Engineer, I work on a lot of TxDOT projects and attend their conferences.
    This upcoming year, there is an emphasis on updating our infrastructure to accommodate electric vehicles (charging locations/alternatives), ROVs, and other alternative fuel modes of transportation. Safety is also a big item.

In October this year TxDOT presented the following to Texas Civil Engineers like this:

In the 1800s, there was this "thing" called a Rail Road. There were those that were for it and those that were against it. Townships that were against accommodating and/or adapting to the new Rail Road were left behind and became ghost towns...

In the 1900s, there was this new thing that was invented and it was called the "automobile". These new-fangled things needed roads and fueling stations. Just like the railroads, there were those that were for them and those that were against them. Towns that embraced the automobile thrived, and the towns that only embraced the railroads and horseback became ghost towns.

Here we are, on the cusp of a new transportation technology (electric/alternative/ROV, etc) and we find ourselves in the same position as the last turn of the century. Like before, there are those that are for the new measures and of course lots of opposition to the new technology. As a STATE, we either embrace the need (develop charging stations, upgrade our roads, etc.) or become a ghost town.

In short, EVs and alternative fuel vehicles are here to stay. We either adapt as a STATE or die.
    the difference is that people were not forced to buy automobiles or transport on rail. In fact, in the beginning, only the rich could afford automobiles. The situation with EV’s is nothing like that. People are being forced to buy products that are currently not superior to the current ICE offerings. Maybe they will be in time, but they aren’t currently. The other problem is that infrastructure is not built up enough for this, but of course everyone here already knows that. The question(rhetorical of course) is that if they think it’s so much better, why do they have so much concern about people not wanting them?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

How does TxDOT expect to pay for this infrastructure?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the difference is that people were not forced to buy automobiles or transport on rail. In fact, in the beginning, only the rich could afford automobiles. The situation with EV’s is nothing like that. People are being forced to buy products that are currently not superior to the current ICE offerings. Maybe they will be in time, but they aren’t currently. The other problem is that infrastructure is not built up enough for this, but of course everyone here already knows that. The question(rhetorical of course) is that if they think it’s so much better, why do they have so much concern about people not wanting them?
    >

There are TWO big problems with the entire concept:

1) There is no way to make any battery take a real “quick charge” to its full capacity.

&

2) No nation produces sufficient electricity to run the scheme.

So, the idea of everyone driving an electric vehicle, and of those electric vehicles replacing internal combustion engines, is a pipe-dream.

leVieux

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    >

There are TWO big problems with the entire concept:

1) There is no way to make any battery take a real “quick charge” to its full capacity.

&

2) No nation produces sufficient electricity to run the scheme.

So, the idea of everyone driving an electric vehicle, and of those electric vehicles replacing internal combustion engines, is a pipe-dream.

leVieux
    I don’t disagree. But if they did away with all the requirements forcing manufacturers to go electric and just let the market work itself out, I think EV’s could potentially be decent little commuter vehicles some time in the future.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t disagree. But if they did away with all the requirements forcing manufacturers to go electric and just let the market work itself out, I think EV’s could potentially be decent little commuter vehicles some time in the future.
    Yes, for certain applications. Urban areas have long used electric transit busses, trans, & trolleys on CLOSED CIRCUITS with wired-in power to move people.

I recently spoke w/ a mid-size Tesla driver, who told of being unable to drive New Orleans to Houston with his A/C on. He had to stop in Lake Charles or Beaumont for a few-hours “partial charge” to complete the trip. That is impractical.

leVieux

Top Bottom