Hurley's Gold

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Sad thing is, we coulda. IF we'd have stayed with nuclear for primary source.
    And it would have been good. JMO.
    Did you mean other than cars, vans, and trucks? Its stupid we've got mobile devices powered by batteries when they may not need to be. I made the mistake of buying my first house in a neighborhood without any gas lines. I hate that everything is electric in my house other than my grill.

I'm still in the camp that most households have multiple cars and if 1 spouse commutes <100 miles per day and the other spouse has an ICE vehicle who may work from home that wouldn't be whacky. Not a huge benefit since the depreciation on those is greater than any fuel savings, but if you're just into EVs why not?
    Military Camp

MountainGirl

Never underestimate the abilities of an old woman.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I disagree. Given current tech, the need for uncommon materials that, in practical terms, require slave labor and massive environmental damage is acute. In most cases, building electric cars isn't worth what it costs.

Yes, we should have a dozen different types of reactors duking it out in 100 markets until we figure out which work best. Nuclear as our source of energy is the best option for the widest variety of use cases.

But electric cars? Immature technology that can't do it all even if electricity were plentiful and free.
    Good points, all. I was referring only to that part of your post that I bolded, not EVs, and I shoulda used more words.. to convey my affection for nuclear.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Sad thing is, we coulda. IF we'd have stayed with nuclear for primary source.
    And it would have been good. JMO.
    Nuclear can provide the power for the grid more reliably than solar or wind for powering the grid. But the storage technology isn't there. The time required for extended stops to charge an ev would cause many drivers to exceed the safe driving limits on driving in a day or add extra days to a trip. Of the three teslas I observed yesterday during a 500 mile trip, one was on a trailer being towed by a dodge truck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Did you mean other than cars, vans, and trucks? Its stupid we've got mobile devices powered by batteries when they may not need to be. I made the mistake of buying my first house in a neighborhood without any gas lines. I hate that everything is electric in my house other than my grill.

I'm still in the camp that most households have multiple cars and if 1 spouse commutes <100 miles per day and the other spouse has an ICE vehicle who may work from home that wouldn't be whacky. Not a huge benefit since the depreciation on those is greater than any fuel savings, but if you're just into EVs why not?
    for some people based on where they liv and where the work an ev just isn't practical

MountainGirl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

Yes, I meant other than cars, vans, trucks, etc.

Our place out here is all electric (no gas lines) and the first thing I did getting here was to prep for a grid-down situation (storms, etc). That said - on the mountain other than wood heat it was all electric (solar overbuild) and it was nice, quiet, clean.

You couldn't give me an EV. Oh, you could, but I'd sell it right off. ICE rules.

MountainGirl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Nuclear can provide the power for the grid more reliably than solar or wind for powering the grid. But the storage technology isn't there. The time required for extended stops to charge an ev would cause many drivers to exceed the safe driving limits on driving in a day or add extra days to a trip. Of the three teslas I observed yesterday during a 500 mile trip, one was on a trailer being towed by a dodge truck.
    Holy crap. LOL I'm sure going to spend more effort on a post next time!

We are in agreement. :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Our place out here is all electric (no gas lines) and the first thing I did getting here was to prep for a grid-down situation (storms, etc). That said - on the mountain other than wood heat it was all electric (solar overbuild) and it was nice, quiet, clean.

You guys could add a propane tank, and get service there easily. I grew up with it. Our central air furnace ran on it, as did our cooking stove.

In fact, in one ice storm it was our only source of heat, as you will likely find out, country areas are prone to power outages due to downed lines.

MountainGirl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    You guys could add a propane tank, and get service there easily. I grew up with it. Our central air furnace ran on it, as did our cooking stove.

In fact, in one ice storm it was our only source of heat, as you will likely find out, country areas are prone to power outages due to downed lines.
    We've talked about it; we're still talking, lol.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Didn’t read all the comment, so maybe I repeating this. I haul a 3500# boat to the coast, and several cargo and travel trailers, I don’t see being able to do that with a personal electric vehicle in the next 10 years. I would like to have one for my work vehicle to save on gas and service. I average 700 miles a week driving around the metro mess.
    Don’t you worry! I’m sure they’ll have this problem solved in no time. Companies are starting to build trailers that will have additional battery power so that electric trucks can make it further than across Houston in one day. So here you can buy a little teardrop for $55k. Lol. I’m sure by the time you’re forced to buy an electric truck, they’ll make a $50000 trailer that you can buy so you can tow your boat. Everything may short out as soon as you put it in the water, but don’t worry about that part. Just buy what you’re told!

brix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    Hydrogen power is what should have been chosen
    Hydrogen not dead yet. The latest evolution of the hydrogen powered car is in Australia. Using the new liquid/ammonia mix to make the hydrogen liquid instead of just pressurized gas. I believe it's just a matter of time before we see these here.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    As I drove from Texas to TN yesterday I observed three Teslas. One was near Dallas, one was near Texarkana and one was on a trailer being towed by a Dodge truck on I30 near Little Rock. I couldn't help but think how much the environment was being helped by the tesla and trailer being pulled by the Dodge truck.

There’s no way this is true.

I just drove from Baton Rouge to Dallas 2 weeks ago. I saw 4 million Teslas in Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    I'd dispute even that. Every urban commuter is going to want to occasionally take a long trip. EVs are second cars for affluent folks or shitboxes for much less affluent folks who know they'll never need to take any trip. In that latter case, I'm referring to folks who buy cars like the Nissan Leaf.

They are, however, ideal for commercial driving on more or less established routes. The Amazon vans, for example, seem essentially perfect for their assigned role.

This whole "convert everything to electric" schtick is a bad idea. And that's the way the green ideologues seem to be leaning...and winning over the public. :(

I agree with you. I’ve been a V8 and diesel guy forever. I’ve got a 2021 X5M and a 2022 F250 for my personal vehicles. I had to get a new 4 door vehicle for my work this year so I decided to buy a 2023 Tesla MP3.

I had the option to buy a gas burner or double my monthly allowance if I bought an electric vehicle. I went the electric route and wanted a S plaid but settled for the MP3 due to the miles I will put on the car.

So far the car has been amazing and fast as shit but I couldn’t imagine having a backup. I charge my car in my garage every night and it’s set at my cabin temp when I get in it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There’s no way this is true.

I just drove from Baton Rouge to Dallas 2 weeks ago. I saw 4 million Teslas in Dallas

I doubt you saw 4 million teslas in Dallas 2 weeks ago, but when counting on your fingers a mistake is possible. I observed a number of teslas in Dallas during the day before my trip but much less than the 4 million you claim to have seen. Were they in Dallas for a convention?
    One my trip between Savannah and TN, I didn't drive thru Dallas and the truth is my dashcam shows the same vehicles (or lack there of) as I observed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom