Gun Zone Deals

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Even if you save 10 cents per mile with an electric vehicle, the cheapest Tesla model 3 is still $14000 more than the accord ex. If gas costs $2.75/gal and you get 33mpg then you could drive 168000 miles with the money you save by not buying a Tesla, not including what you have to pay to charge the Tesla.
    There's that "pesky 'rithmetic" again..... :roflfunny:
    Venture Surplus ad

Gekko68

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2023
    Jasper,tx.
    k,,imagine this,,,Yr sitting at home all comfy on yr recliner watching the cowboys loose once again in the playoffs.you of course doze off after the 3rd quarter cause you know whats coming:( All is well,but you forgot to plug your car in that eve..Well,then you wake up,grab some coffee ,thinking all is wonderful in your battery operated life,But then you hear the news cast and the weather man pops up and says ,theirs a huge hurricane hitting the gulf in like 2 hours.The same weatherman was on there the night before ,but you missed it because you were taking a long shower after watching baywatch the return:) on nbc.SO you grab up the family,take off and head to grandmas house 7 hours away.SO your cruising along at 70-75,thinking about grandmas apple pie on the stove top,when all of a sudden your car dies,oh noooo,your wife says,what happened to the car.You of course realize,your battery is gone.Well,now its a real issue because your 37 miles from the nearest town,109 miles from the nearest charging station.SO now,your grabbing up your 5 chillins and hiking 4 miles to a convienant store to call a wrecker.But the storm is hitting in 1 hour,so gl wit all dat...Uhhh ima pass on all electric.but i do own a hybrid or 2:)

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Didn’t read all the comment, so maybe I repeating this. I haul a 3500# boat to the coast, and several cargo and travel trailers, I don’t see being able to do that with a personal electric vehicle in the next 10 years. I would like to have one for my work vehicle to save on gas and service. I average 700 miles a week driving around the metro mess.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    <>

I recently saw that some EV-SUV owners were upset b/c they weren’t informed that their new ride required over 36 hours to get a full charge.

<>

Sounds like the new owners didn’t do their research. It’s not the job of the sales person to pop out facts like that unless they are specifically asked that question since it could impact the sale.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    As I drove from Texas to TN yesterday I observed three Teslas. One was near Dallas, one was near Texarkana and one was on a trailer being towed by a Dodge truck on I30 near Little Rock. I couldn't help but think how much the environment was being helped by the tesla and trailer being pulled by the Dodge truck.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1686942104240.png

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

A while back I spoke w/ a Tesla owner in New Orleans who drove to Houston & back every few weeks in a midsize Tesla. I’d guess ~ 365 miles each way. He told that the car couldn’t make it w/o a re-charge, especially if the A/C or heater was needed. He had to stop around Lake Charles, Orange, or Beaumont for a couple hours to get a partial re-charge. Obviously not a cross-country “touring” car.

Having studied that Physics, albeit decades back; the only ways to make it work would be either to imbed a power source in the roads, or a network of quick-change battery stations.

The present EV fleet can’t allow quick-changes, and the vaunted “quick-charge” is overly optomistic.

leVieux

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    <>

A while back I spoke w/ a Tesla owner in New Orleans who drove to Houston & back every few weeks in a midsize Tesla. I’d guess ~ 365 miles each way. He told that the car couldn’t make it w/o a re-charge, especially if the A/C or heater was needed....
    The present EV fleet can’t allow quick-changes, and the vaunted “quick-charge” is overly optomistic.
    I've read that often the charge stations are working properly or sometimes require a wait for the charger to become available. Possibly practical for an urban commuter, but otherwise not ready for travel.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Possibly practical for an urban commuter, but otherwise not ready for travel.
    I'd dispute even that. Every urban commuter is going to want to occasionally take a long trip. EVs are second cars for affluent folks or shitboxes for much less affluent folks who know they'll never need to take any trip. In that latter case, I'm referring to folks who buy cars like the Nissan Leaf.

They are, however, ideal for commercial driving on more or less established routes. The Amazon vans, for example, seem essentially perfect for their assigned role.

This whole "convert everything to electric" schtick is a bad idea. And that's the way the green ideologues seem to be leaning...and winning over the public. :(

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I'd dispute even that. Every urban commuter is going to want to occasionally take a long trip. EVs are second cars for affluent folks or shitboxes for much less affluent folks who know they'll never need to take any trip. In that latter case, I'm referring to folks who buy cars like the Nissan Leaf.

They are, however, ideal for commercial driving on more or less established routes. The Amazon vans, for example, seem essentially perfect for their assigned role.

This whole "convert everything to electric" schtick is a bad idea. And that's the way the green ideologues seem to be leaning...and winning over the public. :(
    Sad thing is, we coulda. IF we'd have stayed with nuclear for primary source.
    And it would have been good. JMO.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sad thing is, we coulda. IF we'd have stayed with nuclear for primary source.
    I disagree. Given current tech, the need for uncommon materials that, in practical terms, require slave labor and massive environmental damage is acute. In most cases, building electric cars isn't worth what it costs.

Yes, we should have a dozen different types of reactors duking it out in 100 markets until we figure out which work best. Nuclear as our source of energy is the best option for the widest variety of use cases.

But electric cars? Immature technology that can't do it all even if electricity were plentiful and free.

Top Bottom