Texas SOT

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    I guess I dont understand what about a car that needs updates. Either it works or it doesn’t. My phone also has planned obsolescence built in. Only so many updates before it is no longer supported. Will there be a point where the older cars are bricked due to the same? My phone and laptop gets security updates and such. Why would a car need such updates, unless…..

Lmao…you guys crack me up. I’m no tesla salesman, but the lack of info here is tangible. I’d say spend two hours of your day, test drive one and make decisions for yourself. If you like fast cars at minimum you’ll get a kick out of a test drive. Updates are for maps, calibrations, the security features, the cameras, the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Good…
    I have a model Y. Best damn vehicle I’ve e er owned. I’m no green hippy or under any delusion these are better for the environment. They’re fast, the tech is amazing, and the handling is exceptional.

Through a DTOM magnet on the back and hall my rifles around.

Fact: teslas are THE most American made car that exists. So, support Texas (they’re based here), support America (most American made car) and get over the fact that tech is innovating in vehicles.

For me, the problem is range. Even though OLD, I routinely travel a lot. And since I lost my Pilot “medical”, almost all is driving JEEP or Pickup. Frequent trips for us would be up to 700 miles/day, almost all “non-stop”. I can “tank-up” for another 400 or 450 miles in under 10”. Sometimes I’ll carry 20Gal more in gas cans.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Lmao…you guys crack me up. I’m no tesla salesman, but the lack of info here is tangible. I’d say spend two hours of your day, test drive one and make decisions for yourself. If you like fast cars at minimum you’ll get a kick out of a test drive. Updates are for maps, calibrations, the security features, the cameras, the app.

Security features? A car that is not connected has no need for them. A $5 kill switch and a couple of hours on my non connected truck solves that. My phone which already tracks me is all I need for maps. Cameras are useless because I was in a hit and run and the cops didn’t want the feed from my dash cam. Not sure what the calibrations are, but anything I care about on my 9yo truck hasn‘t changed any. The same is true for our other vehicles as well. I managed to drive for the last 3 decades without an app, so I’m not sure why I need one now.

I get it. Progress, convenience and all that. But, we are at the point of diminishing returns. The little bit of convenience we get is not worth the monumental sacrifice we give up for privacy and self-sufficiency. That’s my view anyway.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

you oobs come i heretryig topudh oses cracks me upyou really do soud like a tesla salesma tgough

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What is it? hydrogen fuel. Never let anyone talk you into buying a hydrogen powered vehicle. All garages will become explosive fire traps. Accidents will become a lot more interesting.
    uh oh, this is above my office door. Guess I'll be bursting into flames any moment now.

1672465430372.png

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had an ‘05 Sierra that speedo went out. Turns out the stepper motor went out. Each gauge on that cluster had its own stepper motor (temp, tach, alt, Speedo etc), so I was I think 5 or 6 stepper motors that could eventually crap out. It was not a cheap fix at the time. What is wrong with the way these were put together prior to these specialty motors?

Someone says "instead of this $4 cable that takes 45 seconds to install, lets use a $30 motor that takes 30 seconds to install". Less labor time means more production of cars, and UAW workers cost a lot per second.

Stepper motors are stupid cheap, like single dollars each to manufacture. You can source all of them for less than just an old school speedo cable assembly.
    yep, and that's the same reason LCD screens are replacing analog style gauges. They are so much cheaper to buy install and design for. Great plan until there's a global "chip shortage" :laughing:
    automatic transmission
    ...or get a manual and don't let a computer decide how your transmission shifts.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    yep, and that's the same reason LCD screens are replacing analog style gauges. They are so much cheaper to buy install and design for. Great plan until there's a global "chip shortage" :laughing:

...or get a manual and don't let a computer decide how your transmission shifts.

Yep.

After we got out here - I traded my 2011 Outback straight across for a '91 Jeep Wrangler. It'll go all day long, LOL :cowboy:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    you oobs come i heretryig topudh oses cracks me upyou really do soud like a tesla salesma tgough
    Liberal comrades want to remove our freedom to make our own decisions whether it be a vaccine or an automobile.
    Willing, or forced if necessary, obedience from the masses is their goal. The government should not be influencing my choice of transportation thru their restrictive regulations.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US

you’re not the first person to say this lately. Some of us have driven more than one Tesla. The facts are what they are, whether you think they are fun to drive or not.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    you’re not the first person to say this lately. Some of us have driven more than one Tesla. The facts are what they are, whether you think they are fun to drive or not.
    'Fun to drive' -I've owned several vehicles that were fun to fly or drive but none of them needs my current requirements, fun or not.
    The negative aspects of a tesla far outweigh it's attributes for my driving needs.

Your mileage may vary.

Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    Security features? A car that is not connected has no need for them. A $5 kill switch and a couple of hours on my non connected truck solves that. My phone which already tracks me is all I need for maps. Cameras are useless because I was in a hit and run and the cops didn’t want the feed from my dash cam. Not sure what the calibrations are, but anything I care about on my 9yo truck hasn‘t changed any. The same is true for our other vehicles as well. I managed to drive for the last 3 decades without an app, so I’m not sure why I need one now.

I get it. Progress, convenience and all that. But, we are at the point of diminishing returns. The little bit of convenience we get is not worth the monumental sacrifice we give up for privacy and self-sufficiency. That’s my view anyway.

Some valid points…but remember that’s your perspective. Tech will never go backwards….so regardless of what mfgr, more tech in all vehicles is guaranteed. I can tell you this for 100%fact, the tesla saved me from getting hit by some moron in a minivan who was trying to change 2 lanes quickly right into me. So, I’m a believer in the tech (in this case, safety features that moved my car faster than I could have because dude was in my blind spot coming over from 2 lanes).

Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    Liberal comrades want to remove our freedom to make our own decisions whether it be a vaccine or an automobile.
    Willing, or forced if necessary, obedience from the masses is their goal. The government should not be influencing my choice of transportation thru their restrictive regulations.

Now I’m a liberal?? Bahahahha…no…not at all. But thinking your car defines your beliefs does crack me up…and no I didn’t get the vax if you were wondering (untested govt splooge was not going in my family’s or my body).

Stereotypes going round and round.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My idea is the minute I drive off the dealers lot, it’s mine to do as I please. When it breaks, I will fix it myself, and if it’s beyond my skill set then have a qualified mechanic do it. The goal is not to have an unending relationship with the dealer or manufacturer whereby my car gets tinkered with OTA. The relationship ends with them when I sign on the dotted line. Our newest car, a 2019 is not connected, and we managed through the warranty just fine. One warranty claim for a knocking noise which turned out to be a loose cowl bolt. When a car salesman pushes the OTA as a selling point for quick and easy warranty fixes, I would question exactly how often that car is expected to malfunction.
    That’s why we need to be very firm on the ‘right to repair’ laws. Some people, and I put myself in this camp, will quickly display a single digit on my right hand if the manufacturer thinks they retain any rights to tangible property I have purchased. I will fix it and modify it as I see fit.

Your ‘19, if it offers (even as an upgrade) any remote features beyond your keys, is connected. Every manufacturer has cellular radios built into most models.

I haven’t had a manual trans car in over a decade. I really miss it. Even though the ZF 8 speed auto is really good, it still can’t read minds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom