Capitol Armory ad

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    It makes perfect sense. Your assertion that “Tesla is the most American made car” is based entirely on how you define “the most American made car.”

On another note, I was reading on another forum yesterday where issues about electrical generation and charging were brought up, and there were people commenting who had no idea that this was an issue with moving to EV’s. Absolutely mind boggling.

We’ll agree to disagree on the most American made car…

Yeah, Tesla def still has qc issues. The great thing though is you constantly get software updates…

On a completely different side note, my tesla has increased in price probably 30k lol (more so than other vehicles). Now if they can get to MB quality, Toyota QC, they will be the goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Why is that? You get software updates for your phone, laptop, TV…as opposed to driving in vehicles that still use tech that DONT get updates?

Ps: tesla app is amazing…

Likely the same reason Microsoft and Apple and Google make updates as infrequent and as invisible as possible: nobody gets excited about updates and when they're daily or weekly, they just get annoying and delayed by the user. Not to mention the times people's laptops have been bricked from a failed update, or people unable to move their car because an update was in progress for the next 20 minutes. OTA updates are fine, but they shouldn't stop me from getting in the car and driving whenever I damn well feel like.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Why is that? You get software updates for your phone, laptop, TV…as opposed to driving in vehicles that still use tech that DONT get updates?

Ps: tesla app is amazing…

I guess I dont understand what about a car that needs updates. Either it works or it doesn’t. My phone also has planned obsolescence built in. Only so many updates before it is no longer supported. Will there be a point where the older cars are bricked due to the same? My phone and laptop gets security updates and such. Why would a car need such updates, unless…..

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Well duh.. who didn’t see that coming? Just wait until the Tesla semi makes it to prime time. That’s when we will see the rail not only being cheaper per ton to move cargo, but it will be faster as well. Interesting times

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Oh it's far more than an on/off light switch that works or doesn't. For instance, in a modern ICE vehicle the automatic transmission clutches and bands are still hydraulically actuated, but haven't been timed by a set of springs and valves in quite some time. There are a set of hydraulic solenoids moving the valves that apply and release each component, adjust the line pressure, etc. All of this is software controlled, which is why we have transmissions that don't burn up in 100,000 miles. It's how the same gear box can go from having nearly imperceptible shifts to barking the tires on an upshift at will. It's how they can install the exact same transmission in a Bentley Mulsanne and a Dodge Charger Hellcat, and have them act appropriately to the expectations of the customer.

As time goes on, the manufacturer may want to tweak the calibration to address customer complaints, to reduce warranty service calls, what have you. This can all be done OTA without needing to inconvenience the owner by potentially instituting a recall, necessitating a dealer visit, having to pay a tech to do the update car by car, etc. It's a big net improvement. They can deliver new features to the car, like for the entertainment system (although they never seem to). Wireless CarPlay? They could OTA the unit if the hardware is already there.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    If I want the transmission to shift differently, I’m probably wanting it to shift differently than the manufacturer does. Therefore, I’d personally rather not have the manufacturer trying to undo my tuning over the air. With teslas, a lot of the cars are the same, and the software is the only difference. That means that a software update determines how fast your car can go, how far it can go, and likely even when it can go. When we start rationing electricity, the last thing I want is my car connecting to WiFi and downloading the update that makes the car only accept a charge on Tuesday’s and Friday’s.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My idea is the minute I drive off the dealers lot, it’s mine to do as I please. When it breaks, I will fix it myself, and if it’s beyond my skill set then have a qualified mechanic do it. The goal is not to have an unending relationship with the dealer or manufacturer whereby my car gets tinkered with OTA. The relationship ends with them when I sign on the dotted line. Our newest car, a 2019 is not connected, and we managed through the warranty just fine. One warranty claim for a knocking noise which turned out to be a loose cowl bolt. When a car salesman pushes the OTA as a selling point for quick and easy warranty fixes, I would question exactly how often that car is expected to malfunction.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My idea is the minute I drive off the dealers lot, it’s mine to do as I please. When it breaks, I will fix it myself, and if it’s beyond my skill set then have a qualified mechanic do it. The goal is not to have an unending relationship with the dealer or manufacturer whereby my car gets tinkered with OTA. The relationship ends with them when I sign on the dotted line. Our newest car, a 2019 is not connected, and we managed through the warranty just fine. One warranty claim for a knocking noise which turned out to be a loose cowl bolt. When a car salesman pushes the OTA as a selling point for quick and easy warranty fixes, I would question exactly how often that car is expected to malfunction.
    joh deere tractor owers have bee battlig thifor years owjoh deere pretty much holds thm hostage over repairs

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    I also drove over 40,000 miles for work this year. 2022 Corolla hatchback 6 speed manual for the win there.

I really like the Teslas that I have ridden in, but they are truly only good for local/in state travel or day trips.

I would go batshit crazy having to spend a half hour or more recharging my battery every 2-4 hours on a trip for work.

I live in Baton Rouge but hunt a lot in Texas for weeks at a time. Because of that I have a F-250 for hunting and travel. I use the Tesla for my daily driving no more than 200 miles in a day but mainly 40 to 150 miles. It gets charged in my garage and will probably never see a super charger again.

Takes a few hrs to charge back to 90% if it’s not too low and about 8 hrs if I run it all the way down. I have the charging schedule set for off peak times and it’s ready to go by 7:30 am every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense. You’re confusing facts with comparisons. Tesla is the most American made car. That’s just a fact….is it because of their size? Perhaps, but does’t make the fact less factual.

Will they ever expand supply and mfg outside for US distribution? Maybe…but then the fact will no longer valid.

Does it help Texas and America at this point. Yes…also a fact. If that ceases to be, then it wouldn’t be a valid argument…and is it a reason to buy a vehicle? Maybe..depends on the individual.

Regarding some of the other posts…EV definitely more for city daily driving. Although I have driven my model Y halfway across the country and still drive to Austin, SA, Houston from Dallas area…it does become a bit of a pain waiting 15-30 min to charge…but if you’re doing back and forth in a day, it’s absolutely fantastic and the tech (I know I’ve said it), is just amazing. Autopilot is damn good, maps are exceptional, monitoring systems second to none and I’ve driven (MB, BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford).

Another implant genius, just what we’ve been missing around here.

Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    Likely the same reason Microsoft and Apple and Google make updates as infrequent and as invisible as possible: nobody gets excited about updates and when they're daily or weekly, they just get annoying and delayed by the user. Not to mention the times people's laptops have been bricked from a failed update, or people unable to move their car because an update was in progress for the next 20 minutes. OTA updates are fine, but they shouldn't stop me from getting in the car and driving whenever I damn well feel like.

They don’t. You are not required to install the update when it’s released. Typically, you would wait and do that overnight. (Although it takes only 30 min or so typically).

Top Bottom