Gun Zone Deals

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    Good…
    I have a model Y. Best damn vehicle I’ve e er owned. I’m no green hippy or under any delusion these are better for the environment. They’re fast, the tech is amazing, and the handling is exceptional.

Through a DTOM magnet on the back and hall my rifles around.

Fact: teslas are THE most American made car that exists. So, support Texas (they’re based here), support America (most American made car) and get over the fact that tech is innovating in vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Good…
    I have a model Y. Best damn vehicle I’ve e er owned. I’m no green hippy or under any delusion these are better for the environment. They’re fast, the tech is amazing, and the handling is exceptional.

Fact: teslas are THE most American made car that exists. So, support Texas (they’re based here), support America (most American made car) and get over the fact that tech is innovating in vehicles.

Welcome to the Forum!

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna

I think this is something a lot of EV haters forget: Tesla is the ONLY American car company to have started and survived since about WW2. Good on that South African madman to pull off such an impressive feat. Not to mention he's now making factories and cars in several countries around the world, but still based in the US. I'm not certain I can think of another company that had such a similar meteoric rise like that in the last 50 years and is still generally regarded as a decent company. (inb4 someone shouts out that super obvious company I can't think of)

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Tesla doesn't sell in cold countries? Norway was their best market until last year. Something like 52% of all car sales at one point.

As for power, I just read that 2 nuclear power plants will start up in the Northeast U.S. this year. Nuke is coming back, followed eventually by fusion.

We have a F150 (hybrid), a Shelby Mustang, and a Tesla Model Y. The Tesla charges off a 110V circuit. It's our DD, something like 90% of our routine driving. Wife usually trades cars at 2 years max. Looks like she will be keeping this Tesla indefinitely.

Batteries are getting cheaper every year. Batteries from wrecked Teslas usually end up in EV retrofits.

As for the stock, Tesla makes around 30% profit on every vehicle.
    I have a lot of stock, and about to buy more. You should too.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Good…

Mostly because they are a very small company. If they are able to survive, they will likely expand more overseas. They may have their HQ in Texas, but they don’t make vehicles here. Toyota on the other hand, makes the Tundra right here in Texas.
    I was just thinking that this morning when I saw an article showing how Tesla's market cap used to be bigger than EVERY other automaker in the world. How does that make sense for a car company that only just now started making modest profits, making 100k cars a year is valued more than Ford, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Ferrari, and the rest of them COMBINED? Everyone's pointing at teslas 66% stock drop saying the company is done. I think now that they're seen as a regular car company the frenzied capital dump into their stock is no longer the stock market meme. Some got very rich pumping and dumping that, now they're onto the next pump and dump scheme.
    Yep. it’s insane for such a small company that just barely became profitable to be valued like that. Musk saw it for what it was and unloaded a bunch of stock when he could get what was probably the highest price for it. It’s crazy that there are still so many people who think it’s “on sale”.

Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    Mostly because they are a very small company. If they are able to survive, they will likely expand more overseas. They may have their HQ in Texas, but they don’t make vehicles here. Toyota on the other hand, makes the Tundra right here in Texas.

Yep. it’s insane for such a small company that just barely became profitable to be valued like that. Musk saw it for what it was and unloaded a bunch of stock when he could get what was probably the highest price for it. It’s crazy that there are still so many people who think it’s “on sale”.

Never said they were made only in Texas. Fremont and maybe some other factory in the US I’m not aware of for American supply…but when that factory opens officially in Texas you’ll see a ton of supply.

Yeah, tundras made here…that’s one model line up for a Japanese owned company. Not hating, damn fine quality….but doesn’t align with the point of my post.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Good…

I prefer ICE to move my 4x4 San Antonio built Tacoma

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Wow, some of the comments at the end of the article were interesting
    That article appeared to be all about the UK experience. I suspect fewer EV owners in UK are able to charge at home or work, thus depend on charging stations.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I prefer ICE to move my 4x4 San Antonio built Tacoma
    Horses for courses. If you tow almost anything, you want a real truck available. I have 2 trailers currently and considering a travel trailer, so I bought an F150 (hybrid) even though I would have preferred a Tacoma. But 95% of our travel is local, and we almost always take my wife's Tesla.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Horses for courses. If you tow almost anything, you want a real truck available. I have 2 trailers currently and considering a travel trailer, so I bought an F150 (hybrid) even though I would have preferred a Tacoma. But 95% of our travel is local, and we almost always take my wife's Tesla.
    I also drove over 40,000 miles for work this year. 2022 Corolla hatchback 6 speed manual for the win there.

I really like the Teslas that I have ridden in, but they are truly only good for local/in state travel or day trips.

I would go batshit crazy having to spend a half hour or more recharging my battery every 2-4 hours on a trip for work.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Never said they were made only in Texas. Fremont and maybe some other factory in the US I’m not aware of for American supply…but when that factory opens officially in Texas you’ll see a ton of supply.

Yeah, tundras made here…that’s one model line up for a Japanese owned company. Not hating, damn fine quality….but doesn’t align with the point of my post.

I was just pointing out that the point of your post is flawed because the claim is only able to be made due to their small size. We would never say the iPhone is an American phone just because apple hq is in America. Tesla makes less vehicles and employs less people in America than other manufacturers so calling them the most American manufacturer that makes exists is based on what data you choose to look at. Also remember that the goal of Tesla/EV’s is to hurt other industries that are dominated by not just American but Texas headquarter companies. If you like Tesla then by all means buy one, but doing so because it helps America/Texas is probably not the right reason.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Two things are at play here. 1) EV and 2) fixing chit that isn’t broken. The door handle issue isn’t much different than other stuff on ICE vehicles that were reinvented for no reason other than to add complication. Case in point I had an ‘05 Sierra that speedo went out. Turns out the stepper motor went out. Each gauge on that cluster had its own stepper motor (temp, tach, alt, Speedo etc), so I was I think 5 or 6 stepper motors that could eventually crap out. It was not a cheap fix at the time. What is wrong with the way these were put together prior to these specialty motors? That same truck cost something like $900 because the blender door was run by actuators instead of cables. It was stuck on heat for the passenger side. Again, what’s wrong with cables that were used for decades?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Two things are at play here. 1) EV and 2) fixing chit that isn’t broken. The door handle issue isn’t much different than other stuff on ICE vehicles that were reinvented for no reason other than to add complication. Case in point I had an ‘05 Sierra that speedo went out. Turns out the stepper motor went out. Each gauge on that cluster had its own stepper motor (temp, tach, alt, Speedo etc), so I was I think 5 or 6 stepper motors that could eventually crap out. It was not a cheap fix at the time. What is wrong with the way these were put together prior to these specialty motors? That same truck cost something like $900 because the blender door was run by actuators instead of cables. It was stuck on heat for the passenger side. Again, what’s wrong with cables that were used for decades?
    Only a guess but probably same reason they re-engineer anything thats existed for decades. Someone says "instead of this $4 cable that takes 45 seconds to install, lets use a $30 motor that takes 30 seconds to install". Less labor time means more production of cars, and UAW workers cost a lot per second. Plus they can still upcharge you on that part to increase their profit even if its using the same margin percent. Each part has a known cost, then they apply a profit margin, theres more profit on a $4000 part than there is on a $40 part even if they do the exact same thing. Plus most people would rather push a button or a disconnected knob than move a lever attached to a cable actually doing something. Ever notice there aren't really any new production cars with manual crank windows?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Stepper motors are stupid cheap, like single dollars each to manufacture. You can source all of them for less than just an old school speedo cable assembly.

The problem with old school gauges is they all sucked horribly. Accuracy was a joke, you were literally doing crap like balancing spring tension against the speed of a spinning magnet. Bouncing speedos when the cables got sticky. Broken cables. Broken/worn speedo gears, etc. were not exactly rare occurrences. Steppers are exact, repeatable, reliable, simple, easy to work with items. They're software controlled, meaning you can let the gauge designers make it pretty and when it's time to make it work you simply update a couple data points and your gauge is dead on. You can do cool things like vary the distance between values, so the range you're most interested in takes up a larger portion of the gauge. You can even (gasp) have a gas gauge that reads half full when the tank is (wtf?) half full. Plus you can do that fancy sweep at startup for "calibration" even though it isn't at all necessary.

So I'd have to argue, old gauges were indeed broken. Even when they worked.

Tro_tro9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2022
    McKinny, Tx
    I was just pointing out that the point of your post is flawed because the claim is only able to be made due to their small size. We would never say the iPhone is an American phone just because apple hq is in America. Tesla makes less vehicles and employs less people in America than other manufacturers so calling them the most American manufacturer that makes exists is based on what data you choose to look at. Also remember that the goal of Tesla/EV’s is to hurt other industries that are dominated by not just American but Texas headquarter companies. If you like Tesla then by all means buy one, but doing so because it helps America/Texas is probably not the right reason.

Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense. You’re confusing facts with comparisons. Tesla is the most American made car. That’s just a fact….is it because of their size? Perhaps, but does’t make the fact less factual.

Will they ever expand supply and mfg outside for US distribution? Maybe…but then the fact will no longer valid.

Does it help Texas and America at this point. Yes…also a fact. If that ceases to be, then it wouldn’t be a valid argument…and is it a reason to buy a vehicle? Maybe..depends on the individual.

Regarding some of the other posts…EV definitely more for city daily driving. Although I have driven my model Y halfway across the country and still drive to Austin, SA, Houston from Dallas area…it does become a bit of a pain waiting 15-30 min to charge…but if you’re doing back and forth in a day, it’s absolutely fantastic and the tech (I know I’ve said it), is just amazing. Autopilot is damn good, maps are exceptional, monitoring systems second to none and I’ve driven (MB, BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford).

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense. You’re confusing facts with comparisons. Tesla is the most American made car. That’s just a fact….is it because of their size? Perhaps, but does’t make the fact less factual.

Will they ever expand supply and mfg outside for US distribution? Maybe…but then the fact will no longer valid.

Does it help Texas and America at this point. Yes…also a fact. If that ceases to be, then it wouldn’t be a valid argument…and is it a reason to buy a vehicle? Maybe..depends on the individual.

Regarding some of the other posts…EV definitely more for city daily driving. Although I have driven my model Y halfway across the country and still drive to Austin, SA, Houston from Dallas area…it does become a bit of a pain waiting 15-30 min to charge…but if you’re doing back and forth in a day, it’s absolutely fantastic and the tech (I know I’ve said it), is just amazing. Autopilot is damn good, maps are exceptional, monitoring systems second to none and I’ve driven (MB, BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford).

It makes perfect sense. Your assertion that “Tesla is the most American made car” is based entirely on how you define “the most American made car.”

On another note, I was reading on another forum yesterday where issues about electrical generation and charging were brought up, and there were people commenting who had no idea that this was an issue with moving to EV’s. Absolutely mind boggling.

Top Bottom