Join TexasGunTalk

Electric Smokers

Discussion in 'Cooking & BBQ' started by birddog, Dec 29, 2018.

1. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    guilty. I wouldn't own a pellet smoker.

tonyt79 likes this.
  2. mp_tx

mp_tx Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I got a Mastercraft electric box smoker for a birthday gift from my wife. Never got a single good result from a long cook in it. Shortly afterwards, I got a ceramic egg cooker and have not looked back. Totally awesome results every time from a long smoke to a 1000 degree reverse sear.

The Mastercraft has been relegated to beef jerky only duty and collects dust most of the year on my mother in laws back porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I said that for several years. Since getting one as a birthday gift, my "stick burner" smoker and charcoal grill have sat unused for a year now. My gas grill has been lit once, and that was because the pellet grill/smoker already had 2 briskets, 3 racks of ribs, and 4 pounds of sausage one it when my wife decided we need to cook some hotdogs too.

4. JLMcC

JLMcC New Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I have not tried the Big Green Egg or a Yoder or any other smokers/grills/cookers/outdoor ovens.
    They all have reasons people buy and use them. Going back to the OP wanting to SIMPLIFY with an electric smoker, I submitted my first blush experience with an electric smoker. It was dead ass simple and full mouth delicious. Retail is above my means but I found one at auction and love it. Still love my Traeger pellet grill for similar reasons. The electric smoker makes great food, shortens cook time and meets the OP criteria.
    You can't intimidate or insult me by saying an electric smoker is not a good way to prepare food. But you can influence me to use the IGNORE switch reserved for certain kinds of folks. Just saying...

5. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Francis Lighten Up.jpg

6. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

A buddy has a Mastercraft he likes to use. I have had a ton of Q off that smoker. But its not the same flavor as smoking over a wood fire for 10 hours.

7. rexster314

rexster314 Member

Nov 14, 2016
    My .02 cents....
    I've done them all. With the exception of an egg type cooker. Electric, gas, stick burner, charcoal. Still have my 5' x 20" offset stick burner that I'll use for large cooks.
    I recently purchased a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed grill/smoker and for most of my outdoor cooking will not use anything else now. Large enough for a 22" wide packer brisket, I can grill at temps up to 700 deg for a good sear, or I can go low and slow for things like the brisket I did last weekend. Can use briquettes, lump charcoal, and in several cases of owners, real wood. Digital temp control w/fan keeps the cooker at a +/- 3 degrees.
    2020-01-12 08.26.46.jpg

8. sidebite252

sidebite252 Well-Known

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    They’re game changers for sure. Nothing like cooking with real wood (like a stick burner) and being able to manage you’re temps like a pro (electric smoker).

I cook on stick burners, charcoal, wood & charcoal, I’ve owned 2 electric too and NONE of them can touch the quality, simplicity, and overall great food that comes out of our pellet cooker. The best overall cooker I’ve ever owned hands down (what the hell does hands down mean anyway?)

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    See here and many other places online.

It's apparently an old saying that came from the world of horse racing. If you're so far ahead towards the end of a race that you can slack off the reins, an action that apparently is accomplished via dropping the hands to loosen the reins, then that is referred to as winning "hands down". Over time, this has become a synonym for decisively, obviously, without much effort, etc.

10. sidebite252

sidebite252 Well-Known

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Without a doubt
    Awesome thanks Ben

Dad_Roman likes this.