Lynx Defense

Elco 80' PT Boat Static to radio control 1/35 scale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Here's what I'm looking at for the Sherman, still not cheap but I want a Sherman to keep the Tiger company. :cool: They have a conversion kit to make either the Firefly or the US made 76mm gun.
    That’s awesome. I was looking at LSTs at one point thinking how cool it would be to pull up on the bank and drive out a tank or Jeep. But there’s not a lot of options and most aren’t large enough scale.

Would have been fun making functional doors and landing ramp though. There’s some larger scale LCMs though. Just not as cool, probably far fewer headaches, lol. https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-ge...stic-model-military-ship-kit-1:35-scale-03000
    Guns International

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    That’s awesome. I was looking at LSTs at one point thinking how cool it would be to pull up on the bank and drive out a tank or Jeep. But there’s not a lot of options and most aren’t large enough scale.

Would have been fun making functional doors and landing ramp though. There’s some larger scale LCMs though. Just not as cool, probably far fewer headaches, lol. https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-ge...stic-model-military-ship-kit-1:35-scale-03000

They do have one in 1/16 scale, big enough to land a plastic 1/16 tank. It won't be landing my Tiger though, lol. That thing would go straight to the bottom. Out of stock here but you can find them. https://www.torro-shop.de/1/16-rc-landing-craft-mechanized-3

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    They do have one in 1/16 scale, big enough to land a plastic 1/16 tank. It won't be landing my Tiger though, lol. That thing would go straight to the bottom. Out of stock here but you can find them. https://www.torro-shop.de/1/16-rc-landing-craft-mechanized-3

I have more fun converting static models to RC.

That would be pretty complicated with a tank, but for boats with more simplified drive trains and controls it’s a lot of fun.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    It's always more fun to do it yourself. I should have the new receiver in the PT shortly and then I have a 7.2v 1600 mah battery I'm going to try, it's lighter than the old and heavy 1200 mah pack I was using before with more capacity. I could use lipo but then I'd probably have to swap the speed control and motor. I think it would run pretty hot with a lipo on the current setup. I need to save some weight so it doesn't sit too low in the water and I think the new battery should do it.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I got the battery set up for the boat and it worked perfectly. It's light and has more than enough duration, I would estimate around twenty minutes of run time. I still need to verify that with my battery checker, it's more than the previous battery at any rate so I'm happy with it. Also set up the new receiver and radio and added a couple of cooling fans. The RC part is over, now it's time to build.

I used a 1600mah receiver battery, I just swapped it over to heavy gauge wire.
    IfNTFBb.jpg

The scale engine cooling intake is now functional.
    ADIaIbh.jpg

Two cooling fans were added, one for the engine which breathes through the scale intake and one for the esc.
    jErC2r9.jpg

The crew cabin will be removable for battery replacement as well as the engine room cover. Both fit tightly on their own so no modifications will be required.
    HNs7SIm.jpg

Quick video of the cooling, rudder and drive operation.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I wish I had your talent for painting.
    It's tricky, I just try to go slow and prep everything before spraying. I'm using an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Had the thing forever, probably the easiest airbrush to use for hobby projects.

Top Bottom