ARJ Defense ad

El Paso based TGT shoot days, LET'S DO IT.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey fellas, hope all is well.

So those of us in EP know full well that although our little corner of Texas is relaxed, it's also too relaxed. So let's change that.

This is an invite to us TGT members who are El Paso based (anyone from other parts of Texas are welcome), to join one another in a monthly, or bi-monthly shoot day. Ammo can be expensive so we can play it by ear.

So how's next month (May)? Anyone who is up for that, post back with 2 possible day and times that you could be open for it. We'll get it organized and meet up.

I say let's start out with just us and spouses if you'd like and see how it goes. If it becomes something we keep up, it can become a family thing. Something we can all look forward to doing in EP.

For those of you who are already dead sure about wanting to do this, here is my number: (915)790-6771 Feel free to text me and we'll create a party text chat. For those of you who are unsure about this, please don't text me unless you know this is something you want to take part in. I just don't want to have to manage this situation with any variables that are wavering. Just don't have the time for it. So if you are unsure, just post in here and you can monitor the activity and decide when to jump in.

OK, welp, let's see what happens! No excuses fellas! I look forward to hearing from and meeting you all. God bless to you and yours and if anyone needs anything, I am here for ya. Have a good one.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Where are you considering this should take place?

Definitley outdoors. NOT at an actual range, but the desert.

I was shown a spot some years ago that I’ve never seen anyone go to, so we can go there. Otherwise, I really don’t care. Our options are the wall, Anthony gap, and red sands. I’m up for going to either and all.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’m no help as I know nothing about where to shoot in those parts.
    If y’all can give me a few weeks notice I can, hopefully, take a couple of days off/vacation to drive out. I can’t do last minute stuff.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    With enough notice I would be open to it as I need to visit my dad who lives there. Are shotgun shooters welcome? I talked with a shotgun group over there and still waiting for them to tell me their next fundraising shoot so I can bring my daughter.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I’m no help as I know nothing about where to shoot in those parts.
    If y’all can give me a few weeks notice I can, hopefully, take a couple of days off/vacation to drive out. I can’t do last minute stuff.

Awesome! So let’s set this for the third week of May?! Let us know what days you can get off and we’ll all meet on a day, or two.

Also interested!

Count yourself in, friend! Stay updated with this thread and I will also be creating a text thread with anyone who wishes to be involved, and PM’s me their number.

With enough notice I would be open to it as I need to visit my dad who lives there. Are shotgun shooters welcome? I talked with a shotgun group over there and still waiting for them to tell me their next fundraising shoot so I can bring my daughter.

So I mentioned to moonpie, above that we can do the third week of May? Fourth week would be good, as well. I’m flexible, as I live here. I figured I’d do this in response to a resent thread about a little problem we have here in EP, which is no get togethers and damn near nothing to do. So with you and your shotgun, we can help solve that problem. Any kind of shooter is welcome. Hell, bring a sling shot. The only thing that will be banned is water guns with sulferic acid.

To those of you El Pasoans reading this, who’ve shown a discontent for the lack of comradere and shooting meets in EP. Now is the time to put your ammo where your mouth is. If these outa towners can do this…

It’s about community, folks. This doesn’t have to be a one time thing. I’m willing to make new friends and with friends comes consistent communication, service, and sacrifice. So if this is really something yall want, I’m all in. If not, let’s not complain about it anymore

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Definitley outdoors. NOT at an actual range, but the desert.

I was shown a spot some years ago that I’ve never seen anyone go to, so we can go there. Otherwise, I really don’t care. Our options are the wall, Anthony gap, and red sands. I’m up for going to either and all.
    IMO, I believe the El Paso Gun Club or the Rod & Gun are the best venues for a TGT shoot, especially if we get a large turnout of shooters.

In my experience, going to the desert on your own and finding an empty spot in the middle of nowhere makes perfect sense, however; if there are 10 to 20+ people at any one spot in the desert firing volley after volley there is a very good chance it will get the attention of the "county fuzz" and they might ruin/end the gathering pre-maturely.

Shooting in unincorporated areas of Texas is not breaking the law, but the County has been cracking down on "nuisance" gunfire.

This means if anyone calls to complain... they will come.

Also... I'm in as well.
    I owe LEP a few photos of items we want to trade and I have been dragging my feet on getting this done...

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    IMO, I believe the El Paso Gun Club or the Rod & Gun are the best venues for a TGT shoot, especially if we get a large turnout of shooters.

In my experience, going to the desert on your own and finding an empty spot in the middle of nowhere makes perfect sense, however; if there are 10 to 20+ people at any one spot in the desert firing volley after volley there is a very good chance it will get the attention of the "county fuzz" and they might ruin/end the gathering pre-maturely.

Shooting in unincorporated areas of Texas is not breaking the law, but the County has been cracking down on "nuisance" gunfire.

This means if anyone calls to complain... they will come.

Also... I'm in as well.
    I owe LEP a few photos of items we want to trade and I have been dragging my feet on getting this done...

NICE! Well welcome to the shoot, man, glad you're joining. As to your advice, I personally don't like the rod and gun club, though it's like 2 minutes from my house, BUT if we can enough and everyone feels better doing that, I AM IN. I want to definitely do what would make everyone comfortable. If you all decide to go scare the cartel in Juarez, I'm in. Wanna tie me down, down range, some here would love that... IM IN! Just want this to be fun and want it to be something most of us will do regularly - maybe even go as far as getting the wives outa our hair some days haha, don't tell.

But also, the spots I have are spot sort of deep into red sands pretty far from residence and one in the gap (not the one everything is thinking), that my old history teacher showed me, that we can go to. Even if they heard 90 people they wouldn't know where to go, it'll be echoing all over the hills haha.

But yea, you all decide where. I'm totally fine with whatever.

BY THE WAY, if it is deeper into lumpy ground, I can seat some folks if you all have low riders or dodge chargers, or Ford anythings... Haha.

count me in… however I’ll be away the first 10 days of May

Awesome. Thanks for joining. Toss us a reminder when you're about done with whatever you're doing.

Looking forward to meeting you all. God bless!

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    Depending on where & when, I'm up for it. Personally, I've ran into a few close calls shooting out in the desert, but it wouldn't be a showstopper if that was the location chosen. I belong to the Rod & Gun, as well as the EPGC. Rod & Gun does have multiple ranges as well as a bar& grill.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    If you all decide to go scare the cartel in Juarez, I'm in...
    We can also set up at the Fabens Dam near I-10 and scare all of the Californians driving/moving here.
    Maybe they will make a U-turn... (wishful thinking)

BY THE WAY, if it is deeper into lumpy ground, I can seat some folks if you all have low riders or dodge chargers, or Ford anythings... Haha.

I have a 2017 F350 6.7l (4x4)...

I am sure I will be fine.
    FYI, I also have chains for when anyone gets bogged down in the sugar sand.

ETA: for JColumbus' XJ

Last edited:

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    We can also set up at the Fabens Dam near I-10 and scare all of the Californians driving/moving here.
    Maybe they will make a U-turn... (wishful thinking)

I have a 2017 F350 6.7l (4x4)...

I am sure I will be fine.
    FYI, I also have chains for when your Chevy gets bogged down in the sugar sand lol.

HAHAHA. No Chevy here though. I have the one that dodge-chevy-ford owners don’t speak the name of…. Got an XJ. I’ll tow everyone…. But take your equipment just in case cause I always end up failing in the end, when I talk shit…

Can’t respond to the cali talk without this turning into a “hey I’m from cali F-U” thread, so I’ll hold off on those opinions.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t have a pick’emuptruck just a 2wd city boy Highlander so off roading is a no go for me.

Haha, well I’ve seen a dang PT cruiser on some of these roads so everyone should be good, but if not, looks like I may be stopping by the moon for some pie. Just let me know sir.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Awesome! So let’s set this for the third week of May?! Let us know what days you can get off and we’ll all meet on a day, or two.

Count yourself in, friend! Stay updated with this thread and I will also be creating a text thread with anyone who wishes to be involved, and PM’s me their number.

So I mentioned to moonpie, above that we can do the third week of May? Fourth week would be good, as well. I’m flexible, as I live here. I figured I’d do this in response to a resent thread about a little problem we have here in EP, which is no get togethers and damn near nothing to do. So with you and your shotgun, we can help solve that problem. Any kind of shooter is welcome. Hell, bring a sling shot. The only thing that will be banned is water guns with sulferic acid.

To those of you El Pasoans reading this, who’ve shown a discontent for the lack of comradere and shooting meets in EP. Now is the time to put your ammo where your mouth is. If these outa towners can do this…

It’s about community, folks. This doesn’t have to be a one time thing. I’m willing to make new friends and with friends comes consistent communication, service, and sacrifice. So if this is really something yall want, I’m all in. If not, let’s not complain about it anymore

I talked with my dad and he told me people do not even bother going on the Texas side as the ruralies would get upset. Most of the El Pasoans go to the NM side and do their practice shooting on the desert. It seems even the desert is privately owned on the Texas side. Any truth to this? I too would opt for a local range.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I talked with my dad and he told me people do not even bother going on the Texas side as the ruralies would get upset. Most of the El Pasoans go to the NM side and do their practice shooting on the desert. It seems even the desert is privately owned on the Texas side. Any truth to this? I too would opt for a local range.

Here, read this.

So red sands is east, heading toward San Antonio and it goes far out. Not private land at all and I’ve seen police training out that way so it’s used every day and a lot. I have a spot a lot of people don’t go to.

The wall is in NM and it’s the least I visit, usually when someone invites me out that way.

The gap is in Anthony NM and it’s a great spot to shoot. Public land as well as land where there are gas lines and the gas guys don’t give a damn, telling me only “don’t shoot at the lines”.

All options are very widely used and I have never heard of anything, ANYTHING happening, that is even close to minor or negative happening. The only reason why I have two secluded spots that nobody knows about is they are SO widely used that I have nearly been shot by stupid kids or new gun owners who for some reason decide to turn your way. So 8 years ago, I said no more shooting around others (who’m I can’t control or suggestively control).

We can most definitely go to a range. It would have to be an outdoor one, but here’s my thoughts on that; With most of us being long time shooters, we will have safety in mind out in the desert anyway, and can do what we want, shoot what we want, and don’t have to worry about the type of rules that only exist for shooters who aren’t with each other, to keep it safe and civil. I understand those rules and agree with them for range purposes, but in my mind, the more people we have, the more restricted we will be.

Still, even with just two people, it’s a restriction that, for me, pulls the fun out of shooting. For instance, at a lot of place you can’t shoot certain triggers that allow for a fast rate of fire. I can’t drive my truck down 100-3/4/5 hundred yards to check on, set up my target. I can’t practice any weapon manipulation. I can’t set up steel. I can’t go piss in a bush 10 feet away. I have to pay a fee. I mean there are a lot of nit picky things, but also some really annoying things that just make me feel like I gotta make sure daddy is ok with me doing certain things and I don’t like that at all.

My vote is we go to the gap, or red sands. The top 2-5 most experienced shooters keep an eye on the safety (we should all be accountable to that anyway), we all yell “going hot” or something indicating we are firing, we all make sure everyone has at least ears on, we all keep guns empty and safe when laid down, we don’t flag…. You know, all the usual stuff, and we’ll be fine.

There are tons of TGT shoot days in east and central Texas and they go all out and shoot all kinds of shit, including tannerite and they do just fine.

One thing we can do, when we have a list of who IS going, is I can compile a list of people who’ve shot for years and consider themselves very safe. Anyone who doesn’t or is new can just be instructed and should be very receptive to said instruction.

Anyway, I don’t really know what else to say other than if we can’t have a safe shoot, we should not get together to begin with, but when people who actually go out and shoot, get together, there isn’t a much safer and more aware crowd within 1000 miles. I trust my fellow shooters if they actually go out and shoot. The ones I don’t, I help them be safe.

Thank you for voicing your concerns.

Top Bottom