• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • p230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The majority of the time I either have a Steyr M9 or a SIG229 IWB. I almost always have an untucked shirt on over a T shirt. I am very fair skinned so I don't mind the extra coverage and even when its hot I don't notice it too much. A Good holster optimized for you will go a long way to helping. I just got back from 4 days hiking around Arches National Park with the Steyr and did just fine. YMMV

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The majority of the time I either have a Steyr M9 or a SIG229 IWB. I almost always have an untucked shirt on over a T shirt. I am very fair skinned so I don't mind the extra coverage and even when its hot I don't notice it too much. A Good holster optimized for you will go a long way to helping. I just got back from 4 days hiking around Arches National Park with the Steyr and did just fine. YMMV

p230,

IMVHO, the "secret" to INCONSPICIOUS concealed Summer carry is: the right holster (I have an old DON HUME OWB "Concealer") and the PROPER SIZE untucked golf shirt.
    (More than a few times, I've had a LEO ask me why I was NOT armed. = When I said, "I've got a 1911 GM on my belt", they were STUNNED. = TRY ON your golf shirt BEFORE you buy it.)

yours, satx

p230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    p230,

IMVHO, the "secret" to INCONSPICIOUS concealed Summer carry is: the right holster (I have an old DON HUME OWB "Concealer") and the PROPER SIZE untucked golf shirt.
    (More than a few times, I've had a LEO ask me why I was NOT armed. = When I said, "I've got a 1911 GM on my belt", they were STUNNED. = TRY ON your golf shirt BEFORE you buy it.)

yours, satx

My go to right now is the Habit fishing shirts that Sam's and others carry. I like the pockets and breathable fly in the back. I will give golf shirts a look though. sometime something a bit "nicer" is needed. Thanks for the suggestion.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My go to right now is the Habit fishing shirts that Sam's and others carry. I like the pockets and breathable fly in the back. I will give golf shirts a look though. sometime something a bit "nicer" is needed. Thanks for the suggestion.

p230,

WELCOME. ---- Short of a AR/AK pistol, I can think of NO ordinary handgun that is harder to conceal than a Colt's GM.

Fwiw, "GOLDEN BEAR" & "WHITE SHARK", because of the cut in XL-long work BEST for me AND those brands are "dressier" than most..
    (Since I retired, I seldom go anywhere where a golf shirt or sweater, jeans & boots or boat shoes are NOT "dressed up" enough. - I last wore a suit & tie to Mother's funeral in SEP17.)

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    On the topic of dress, some clothes just scream gun. Vests and Hawaiian shirts are a dead giveaway, no matter how concealed you may be

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I carried a commander sized colt when i worked in colder climates. Closest to full size now-a-days is a Sig P228. I more often carry a P365.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    On the topic of dress, some clothes just scream gun. Vests and Hawaiian shirts are a dead giveaway, no matter how concealed you may be

I guess I'd surprise most folks now - I wear a lot of Hawaiian/silk shirt type shirts, plus a lot of light weight fishing shirts (out of comfort, plus I fish almost daily) - and since I don't have a Texas LTC I'm not legally allowed to carry.

In the PNW, I routinely wore a vest, because it was cold. A lot of people did. Down here - I think I put a fleece vest on once, back when we had Snowpocalypse.

To me - fanny packs / Maxpedition man-purses scream "gun"

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I began w/ a G21 in a GALCO "Jackass" rig. Very clumsy. Then G26 in GALCO Scout IWB for years. Now usually G19 in GALCO leather canted IWB. Other days, Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro .45ACP in OY6 Kydex IWB. I tell newbies this: "The BEST gun to begin with is the ONE MOST LIKELY TO BE THERE when needed !"
    leVieux

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    i like the safariland 070 SSIII holster. the holster is just good today than a year ago

Great open carry retention rig, probably not the greatest for concealment. I used an SS3 when I was a security monkey, back before weapon lights were the norm, and before fancy rotating hoods, camming lock mechanisms, etc. Two snaps and molded in ejection port "lock" kept that gun nice and secure.

Top Bottom