• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Before you install the culvert, call the county. I called my county office & was told they would install for free, I just had to supply the culvert. They trenched the ditch, put the culvert I left & covered it up with rock.
    Will do. I called TXDOT since it's along a state highway and they said I needed a permit and would have to foot the installation bill. I didn't think about calling Newton county.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    2 things. Having been there and done that.
    1. State road means TXDoT requirements.
    2. Go with the biggest diameter waterline you can't afford.
    Every gallon in the line is like a pressure tank.
    More volume means better flow at the tap.
    If you eventually build a home, you're going to want the added volume.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought I'd throw this out and get some advice. I've been looking to purchase land in east Texas for the past few years. I finally have the funds to do it and I picked the area due it's proximity to Houston and land cost. I'm not purchasing primarily as an investment but as a recreational tract where I can hunt and have a place to take the wife and kids to get out of the city. The property I'm looking at is approximately 40 acres and located near the Jasper/Newton/Burkeville area. Current owners have travel trailers on it with blinds and feeders. My eventual goal is to just hunt / shoot on it for now, but I plan on clearing a few acres for a shop build and possible homesite later on. Here are my questions.

1. How's deer / hog hunting in East Texas? I know the deer are a lot more skittish and tend to be nocturnal
    2. The land is currently hardwood / pine mixed and currently has a timber exemption. I want to clear some areas out, so how would I go about having some of the acreage harvested by a timber company?
    3. I know counties can restrict shooting on land less than 50acres. Since this is already setup for hunting does anyone know if Newton County has restrictions on me setting up a small range to sight in my weapons. I've tried looking online and can't get a straight answer.

Is there anything else I need to know about purchasing land? I've bought and sold several homes but raw land is a bit different. Instead of purchasing a tractor I would like to buy a tracked skid steer do the majority of the land clearing myself for the underbrush and small trees.
    <>

”Is there anything else I need to know about purchasing land?”

Just this:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    338-3388371_girl-run-meme-hd-png-download.png

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I haven't updated this in a while. We purchased a home on an acre lot at the beginning of the summer that needed a lot of cleanup. Those projects kept me away from the land for a while and this summers heat didn't help. I went out today to fill feeders and move cameras around. I had time to sight in a couple of AR builds. This grendel build was all spare parts. Accuracy was good enough at 50 yards.
    684357628e4240bbeb59b58337c1e790.jpg
    ee5ae6ee034d9cc2e19c04431805c7a7.jpg
    8887bd337a8e9aca6ee9fc9bf394b9e0.jpg
    80bf4f9090b90a074c1057fc254a20b7.jpg

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I haven't updated this in a while. We purchased a home on an acre lot at the beginning of the summer that needed a lot of cleanup. Those projects kept me away from the land for a while and this summers heat didn't help. I went out today to fill feeders and move cameras around. I had time to sight in a couple of AR builds. This grendel build was all spare parts. Accuracy was good enough at 50 yards.
    684357628e4240bbeb59b58337c1e790.jpg
    I approve everything about this build except the brake. That's got to be loud as hell.
    Love my RT6's and CMC's. Heck, I like UBR's too, except the weight.
    Can't argue with the results, though.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I approve everything about this build except the brake. That's got to be loud as hell.
    Love my RT6's and CMC's. Heck, I like UBR's too, except the weight.
    Can't argue with the results, though.
    I'm sure it sucks being on either side of it. Thats my dedicated hog gun, so I'm hoping it helps with quick follow up shots.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm trying to get out there as much as time will allow before the summer heat comes. I fire up the dump truck to get some more rock for my road, and the bed won't raise. I could hear an air leak every time I engage the control to lift the bed. I crawl underneath and find that something chewed through an air line that controls the PTO. We make a trip to Kirbyville for the parts I need and the dump truck is back in business.

3ffa8719c6c82c96172aac329aa41605.jpg

I started doing some cleanup around the property by removing these stands of small pines, mixed with yaupon and friars. Pretty nasty stuff. A dozer with a root rake would make easy work of this. The mini ex and a chainsaw will have to suffice for now. I'll finish up this section the

eaea8bb3446344aafba000983a294688.jpg

f7a04076f71937585c4a3d564daab6af.jpg

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    The skid steer is back in operation for now. It's been smoking and burning oil since I bought it. I've been trying to avoid a rebuild, but after replacing the head gasket, and having a valve job done on the cylinder head its still smoking. I'm almost sure that it's worn piston rings at this point. I ordered new pistons and rings and will pull the motor sometime this spring to work on it.

459deff094124e5b1a00d2e57af1c42c.jpg

ee7528aac7efc1e988f096cb8f1f8c86.jpg

I'm going to try it with the grapple and see which is more efficient for getting debris out of the way and piled up faster than using the mini-ex.

e93f0f1f07147ae5deb903666f44a827.jpg

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The grapple on the skid makes quick work on picking up debris. They also make a shredder that looks like brush hog that hooks up to the front.... you do need a high pressure hydro lines to run it. Before covid you could get a new one for about 5k.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom