APOD Firearms

Dry fire with the eldest girl (17)... She never fails to amaze me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I'll tell you what, I don't tend to have to worry about her too much. I raised her right, so she makes honorable decisions. As to the times I can't be there, I'm confident in her capability to defend herself. Hands or weapon, she's a fighter for sure.

As soon as we got home from church we kind of just ended up doing some dry fire practice. As safe as safe can be. I have a couple old tip-less firing pins (they cant reach the primer), I remove any ammunition from the room, pull out all of the springs and followers (except in one AR mag each), follow the four main firearm safety rules... you fellas know the drill.

CONTEXT to explain how I've evolved setting up the weapons for dry fire practice, over the years:
    The reason I keep one mag with a spring and follower, is that on the draw, I teach her to disengage the safety, pull the trigger and say "BANG", and then reload and fire once more. BEFORE the draw, I have her lock the bolt back so when she says "bang" and reloads, it will be realistic enough when she hits that bolt release, as if she fired the last round and the empty mag locked the bolt back. She can then press the trigger and it will actually go "bang" by itself.

As for the pistols. The trigger is reset so it also goes bang and an empty second mag with no follower, or spring, emulates changing to a full mag.

The girl has gotten to be pretty quick and smooth. At the range, with live ammo, we do it a lot slower. Not only to conserve ammo, but also to assure safety. No need to go all out at the range. There, we get her accuracy and movements down. Dry fire is good to practice speed. Proud of the young lady. We practiced shooting on the move, as well and she is surprisingly sufficient at it.

Anyway, I decided to just share this quick clip of her progress.

Damn I am so proud of her and her four siblings. She will be graduating number 2 (she's the shit) in her senior class (ahead of the top 10% in white), in gold because she is in the advanced program and college level courses, has some college credits already, is president of her school's national honor society... I'm sorry. I don't mean to come off snobby or anything. I'm just real proud. I wasn't supposed to live long enough to have kids in the first place, AND I got to stick around to discipline her and watch her grow and turn her parent's guidance into a path, all her own. To SPRINT on that path, take a nice calm walk when appropriate, and have the courage to face any obstacles that dared sit in her trajectory.

Hell, we're all God fearing conservatives, or something in that realm. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I've read some of your stories and see this is a common theme among our group.

Welp... The other four will be homeschooled all the way up to 7th grade, at least, so although my wife has taken the reins on most subjects, I'll be giving lessons on God and his good book, guns and their safe use, and our country and it's constitution, history, and the importance of service to it. As you can see by this mega run on sentence, I won't be teaching the writing classes.

I have 2 additional daughters (6 and 10), as well as 2 younger sons (5 and 3) born exactly two years apart to the hour. I can't WAIT to see them grow in to amazing young adults, like their eldest sister before them, and the 2 to follow. Pray I make it that far, please.

Sheesh... Sorry I turned this into a novel. I just came to post that short video and ended up just reflecting on how proud of a father I am.

I TRULY hope you all are doing well in these tough times and for those of you who may not be, that you stay focused on the relief at the end of that struggle.

God bless you and yours, God bless our GREAT state of Texas, and God bless these United States of America,

-JColumbus

P.S. If there's anything I can do to help ANY of you, please reach out.
    Target Sports

SGHinds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    Houston
    Great job!!!

We (my wife) is homeschooling our 4 kids. Has since day 1. Bible is always the first class of the day. Kids are Walking the right paths and learning each and every day. Just getting to where they want to start shooting with me.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Great job!!!

We (my wife) is homeschooling our 4 kids. Has since day 1. Bible is always the first class of the day. Kids are Walking the right paths and learning each and every day. Just getting to where they want to start shooting with me.

Congrats with being disciplined enough, and having a good order in your house to live that way. It's hard as hell and it takes a lot of time and attention, as well as cooperation from the wife and kids, to be able to accomplish that.

I'm still considering Bible lessons being first. My philosophy was that it's better to make sure their little brains are all awake with other tasks, before digesting the word. If you find that it is beneficial as the first lesson, please let me know. We are still growing and learning and could use insight.

It was strange, the other day at church the pastor's wife was talking about (oh we have a lot of teachers at our church) she was talking about how hard teaching can be and was praying for the teachers in the room and thanking them. She told all of the teachers to stand up, and at first my wife didn't, but then she said "and you too Tiffany, you're a teacher"... It was nice to see her acknowledged like that. She deserves that. Even I, at first, didn't realize, YES she's a teacher (she turned our whole den into a classroom and has to cover 3 different grade levels basically. Anyway, it was nice to the look on her face. Not only that she was acknowledged, but I could tell that she felt that even she could appreciate herself, in that moment.

It's hard on the ladies with home schooling and it's tough as a father with how we have to discipline them and find the time to play with them, all while keeping this disgusting world from contributing to bad habits, weakness, I mean I can go on and on... You know, I'm sure. We don't listen to the radio, watch cable TV, or anything else that's mainstream.

On top of all of that, we have to make sure they have their social needs met, are still cultured, know how the world works...

Anyway, I applaud you and your wife and anyone else who lives this way. Even anyone who considers it. If anybody reads this, who IS considering it, just know that like anything else it has it's pros and cons. It's hard as hell in some ways but easy and fun in others. All you have to do is get over that initial intimidating fear like feeling of jumping into it. It's like running your own business, it's tough and you really have to figure things out, but at the end of the day, you're your own boss and you call all of the shots. All you have to do is not break existing laws and you can live how you like with the government out of your hair, for the most part.

My kids are all advanced and ahead of their peers. Any child who grows up in this environment, is. It's not so much because we are better than anyone, or that my kids are smarter. It's just that the education system outside of our households has to go at the pace of the slowest, but inside the household, you live at your own pace. Hell, even those in the school system who ARE the slowest, would probably end up being one of the fastest, if their parents would dedicate their time to it.

Anyway... I tend to write novels.

God bless.

Top Bottom