• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Bit of a technical one here.
    To anyone who runs crossfire; what's your setup and what do you suggest starting with?

Getting into 5" quads is a bit much right off the bat. What size do you run for the most part?

I'm just a tiny whoop pilot myself, but it's interesting to see other people's builds.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Do you plan on going way out or anything?

You can run a basic FPV setup in the 5.8 range for a fairly simple setup. GetFPV has (or used to have) pretty much everything you’d need and it’s mostly plug and play.

Haven’t messed with crossfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Do you plan on going way out or anything?

You can run a basic FPV setup in the 5.8 range for a fairly simple setup. GetFPV has (or used to have) pretty much everything you’d need and it’s mostly plug and play.

Haven’t messed with crossfire.

I plan on shooting some go pro footage. That's about it. Thanks, I will check Get FPV out!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Haha fantastic. What do you think the best starting plane would be? I started small but I'm not experienced enough to know if I took the boring route.

I have a couple of the EFlite FPV little quads and have had a blast with them. My only issue is short battery life.

I also set up a Parkzone T-28 with an FPV camera on a home made (couple of servos glued together) gimbal in the cockpit which was really cool. It was tight to head tracking and worked through the planes Rx. It was lots of fun, but not being able to stop and give like a quad can make it a little more “exciting”.

I have the large version of the Opterra but never got around to putting the camera in it and have only used it to record GoPro footage.

If you are considering a plane I would say a trainer is the best way to go. Something with a gyro stability option makes it much easier to remove the headset for landing. Or even land with the headset on. I don’t really know that I can recommend a specific one though since I mostly played with the T-28 gimbal setup.

Keep in mind that over 25mw or whatever it is you technically need a HAM technicians license. Easy to get really. And you’ll probably never be asked to provide it unless you fly somewhere you probably shouldn’t.

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    I have a couple of the EFlite FPV little quads and have had a blast with them. My only issue is short battery life.

I also set up a Parkzone T-28 with an FPV camera on a home made (couple of servos glued together) gimbal in the cockpit which was really cool. It was tight to head tracking and worked through the planes Rx. It was lots of fun, but not being able to stop and give like a quad can make it a little more “exciting”.

I have the large version of the Opterra but never got around to putting the camera in it and have only used it to record GoPro footage.

If you are considering a plane I would say a trainer is the best way to go. Something with a gyro stability option makes it much easier to remove the headset for landing. Or even land with the headset on. I don’t really know that I can recommend a specific one though since I mostly played with the T-28 gimbal setup.

Keep in mind that over 25mw or whatever it is you technically need a HAM technicians license. Easy to get really. And you’ll probably never be asked to provide it unless you fly somewhere you probably shouldn’t.

Fantastic. So much info. Thank you! How long have you been flying?

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Haha fantastic. What do you think the best starting plane would be? I started small but I'm not experienced enough to know if I took the boring route.
    I've no clue since I've had 1 personal experience. Small (and slow?) may well be the ticket until you gain experience. Are you on Rcgroups . com or similar? You'll get better / current info there.

I FPVd a standard Radian which IIRCC is 1.5m WS.

20160711_202832[1].jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've no clue since I've had 1 personal experience. Small (and slow?) may well be the ticket until you gain experience. Are you on Rcgroups . com or similar? You'll get better / current info there.

View attachment 244977

Definitely small and slow. Less damage if there’s a crash, lol.

I’ve seen some people do a lot with the UMX radian FPV.

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Idk, 6-7 years I guess. Maybe 8.

Last year was a bit of a wash though.

You know it's been a while when the years start to meld together. That's absolutely fantastic. Did covid kill your flying schedule? I feel like stay at home orders would increase it!

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas

View attachment 244977
    I am not, I'll hop on over asap. This is a rather weird place to look for fpv I guess

That's a beautiful plane. I will write that one down. Looks like it's fun as all hell to fly too.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Quad damage is bad, I can't imagine an entire plane!
    Planes can glide to a minimal damage landing w/o power, quads not so much.

The standard Radian has been out of production for years but you may be able to find one FS on the web.

Not FPV but I've flown my Radian to 1,456' AGL.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You know it's been a while when the years start to meld together. That's absolutely fantastic. Did covid kill your flying schedule? I feel like stay at home orders would increase it!

Combination of work schedule conflicting with the good weather days and less activity at the field due to Covid.

I’d say work and weather had the biggest effect.

Top Bottom