Join TexasGunTalk

Drifting sights remember the Acronym SO... Rear Sight Same, Front Sight Opposite

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Texastransplant, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Texastransplant

Texastransplant Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    The easiest way to remember which way to adjust your sights is the Acronyn SO. Think of it like "SO my sights need adjustment"

S means the rear sight is drifted the same direction as where your "Missed Shot" hit.

O means the front sight needs to be drifted the opposite direction of your missed shot.

That will bring you in on target. Also if your sight feels a bit loose in the dovetail when you tap it over (brass hammer or piece of brass) knowck the sight out, take a sharp center punch and "lightly" make a 1/2 dozen little punch marks in your rifle or pistols dovetail. That will help tighten things up.

2. PopsXD9sc

PopsXD9sc Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Good tip. I've always used FORS (Front Opposite Rear Same).

3. codygjohnson

codygjohnson Eats breakfast everyday Lifetime Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I typically use: IYWTATRSYNTMITSDTYWTBTGIYWTATFSYNTMITODTYWTBTG
    (if you want to adjust the rear sight, you need to move it the same direction that you want the bullet to go. If you want to adjust the front sight, you need to move it the opposite direction that you want the bullet to go.)

Yours seems much easier...

4. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I just remember to move the rear sight in the direction I want the bullet to go.
    The front sight is backward.

5. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I use the IYWTATRSYNTMITSDTYWTBTGIYWTATFSYNTMITODTYWTBTG method as well!