• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    Anybody know when the next class might be for LTC instructors? I've had my application in for a while. I have a ton of potential customers. Just waiting on DPS to call or email me to take their course. Last course I heard of was in October but my prints didn't get sent so I had to redo them.
    DK Firearms

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    A friend of mine who put her application in last August finally got scheduled for April 2021. So estimate 6 months to a year. It took me about 7 months from applying to my class. Good luck.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Thanks for the welcome yall. Wow, 6 months to a year. I guess I'll just be patient and keep training. Thanks.
    Welcome. Unfortunately with Covid they had to reduce the class size. Normal is 100 students but they dropped that to around 60. So it’s taking longer than normal. Look me up when you get scheduled, I’ll be happy to give you some tips on what to expect. Make sure you train with revolver as well. You have to qualify with both revolver and semiautomatic pistol. Also you have to pass the range qualifying part with 90% or better with both.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    Welcome. Unfortunately with Covid they had to reduce the class size. Normal is 100 students but they dropped that to around 60. So it’s taking longer than normal. Look me up when you get scheduled, I’ll be happy to give you some tips on what to expect. Make sure you train with revolver as well. You have to qualify with both revolver and semiautomatic pistol. Also you have to pass the range qualifying part with 90% or better with both.
    Will do. Thank you.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    I finally got the call. Scheduled for May. I'm nervous about the revolver qualification. I have a Taurus 66(357M) but it had a hiccup last month, so I don't fully trust it. I realized I couldn't use my daughter's 22LR revolver as a backup, so I bought a Taurus Tracker(357M) that I'm not liking so far.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    I finally got the call. Scheduled for May. I'm nervous about the revolver qualification. I have a Taurus 66(357M) but it had a hiccup last month, so I don't fully trust it. I realized I couldn't use my daughter's 22LR revolver as a backup, so I bought a Taurus Tracker(357M) that I'm not liking so far.
    Congrats on getting your slot.
    bring both revolvers with you. You can start with the 66 and if you develop a problem then switch over to the tracker. Or try to sell both and get a Ruger or smith.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    I just got back from the range. Both guns ran fine. I prefer the trigger on the 66(polished with wolff springs). Tracker is surely the backup. I think I'll do fine.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Good, you’ll head into class with more confidence in your shootin irons. Some advice. The DPS range targets are on a swivel so you will feel like you don’t have enough time to get rounds off before they turn but you will. After the first 10 - 20 rounds fired double action I realized I had time to cock my revolver after each shot and kept my accuracy up.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    Good, you’ll head into class with more confidence in your shootin irons. Some advice. The DPS range targets are on a swivel so you will feel like you don’t have enough time to get rounds off before they turn but you will. After the first 10 - 20 rounds fired double action I realized I had time to cock my revolver after each shot and kept my accuracy up.
    I'll definitely try single action. Been trying different grips on the guns to see what allows me the best grip and ability to reach the hammer. Settled on nice Hogue grips. That ATI scorpion thing was just too "futuristic" and cheap looking. Felt ok, but the look was too much for me.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    While I was at the Capitol Building Yesterday testifying on several bills and talking to Rep Mat Schaffer, I ran into one of the DPS directors whom I asked about the Texas LTC instructor classes.

As of today, (April 16th, 2021) if your NOT already booked for a class, then your Class will probably be In or after September.

All classes, between now and September 1st are FULL! One class per month, 63 students for each class. Starting in September, unless covid issues remain, the class size will increase back to 120.

danielrcd

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2021
    San Antonio
    How did it go? Submitting my application this week

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    It went great. Passed comfortably. Shot 248 and 249(their turning system kept malfunctioning so it threw me off a bit).
    Got my certificate. Now I'm just trying to get sorted out as far as a class plan goes. Also, every landowner that said I could use their land, has backed out. And I'm only allowed 2 guests at my local range, so I guess I'm only doing small/private classes for now.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom