• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    We are again planning a RGV trip for WW opener hunt with friends from Dallas, Austin, Elmendorf, & LA.

Past two seasons were disappointing. Very disappointing !

What is the Dove situation looking like for this year? I realize that it’s still too early to tell, but I know we have several psychic prognosticators here on TGT.

Any & all info appreciated.

It was really sad to drive a total of about 1000 miles and kill six birds. I was tied for # 2 with six; our group’s top guy had 7. That’s for three hunts each, too.
    Capitol Armory ad

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    I think that cold snap we had a couple years ago did a number on doves and other birds and they have not fully recovered yet. I know here in Bastrop county I have seen fewer of them than years past.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    No, the drought won't help at all. Funny thing is, I have seen WAY more doves on my place and in the area this year. I'm talking about half a dozen at a time on the property or seeing 10 to 12 along the side of the road on the way to town.

It has been enough of an increase that I have actually considered taking a few of them when season comes. Of course I'm talking about mourning doves, not white wings.

And in the evening, you can hear multiple doves in the woods around the place.

Come to think of it, this has been an extremely busy year in terms of birds. Dozens upon dozens of cardinals, Chuck-Will's Widows, owls, AND a Bald Eagle!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    No, the drought won't help at all. Funny thing is, I have seen WAY more doves on my place and in the area this year. I'm talking about half a dozen at a time on the property or seeing 10 to 12 along the side of the road on the way to town.

It has been enough of an increase that I have actually considered taking a few of them when season comes. Of course I'm talking about mourning doves, not white wings.

And in the evening, you can hear multiple doves in the woods around the place.

Come to think of it, this has been an extremely busy year in terms of birds. Dozens upon dozens of cardinals, Chuck-Will's Widows, owls, AND a Bald Eagle!
    Yes, we are 100 miIes East of Beaumont, and have had all those and more. Past two years, we’ve had robins, cardinals, & white wings year-‘round. Very few mourning doves around here lately.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Mexico, Arizona- southern Kalifornia border. I aint goi g but if Iwas to shoot birds thats where they are. Or there is Argentina for those with some bucks to blow.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    We are again planning a RGV trip for WW opener hunt with friends from Dallas, Austin, Elmendorf, & LA.

Past two seasons were disappointing. Very disappointing !

What is the Dove situation looking like for this year? I realize that it’s still too early to tell, but I know we have several psychic prognosticators here on TGT.

Any & all info appreciated.

It was really sad to drive a total of about 1000 miles and kill six birds. I was tied for # 2 with six; our group’s top guy had 7. That’s for three hunts each, too.
    That's too bad they sure are tasty

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    The freeze really wiped out lots of dove around El Campo Area
    A few coming around now , maybe another year for them to recover

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The freeze really wiped out lots of dove around El Campo Area
    A few coming around now , maybe another year for them to recover
    Last September @ El Campo, I killed the first four WW’s which came over. Thought ”This is great!“. That was the END. Never got another shot that day or next. I had high hopes b/c I have to spend lots of time in El Campo anyway. Do you know if Pierce Ranch has opened up for hog hunts again?

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Yes, we are 100 miIes East of Beaumont, and have had all those and more. Past two years, we’ve had robins, cardinals, & white wings year-‘round. Very few mourning doves around here lately.
    You moved away from Nawlins? We've interacted on that Louisiana gun forum

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You moved away from Nawlins? We've interacted on that Louisiana gun forum

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    I’m 79 & “retired” to Saint Martinville on the Bayou Teche. I attend the “Home Church of the Acadians in Louisiana”, “Saint Martin de Tours” Parish.

I can get fresh boudin and boiled “selects” crawfish without crossing any street.

Our Family is scattered by modern life; GK’s are @ Charlotte, Houston, Jackson, Dallas, New Orleans, & Lafayette. A least they stayed in the CSA !

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I've seen quite a few more mourning doves than last year at our farm. In town where I live I could get my limit using a pellet gun and shooting them off the power lines, but I don't work like that. Lots of pairs together, which is always a good sign. Looking forward to this years hunts. I got a total of three birds early season and two more late season last year. Barely enough to fire up the grill.Three years ago, at a buddies farm, about three miles from mine, 8 of us went out the first Saturday of early season and limited out within an hour. We repeated that on the next day. I had never seen so many birds flying at one time. In my 20 years of dove hunting, I have only killed 8 white wing's.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I've seen quite a few more mourning doves than last year at our farm. In town where I live I could get my limit using a pellet gun and shooting them off the power lines, but I don't work like that. Lots of pairs together, which is always a good sign. Looking forward to this years hunts. I got a total of three birds early season and two more late season last year. Barely enough to fire up the grill.Three years ago, at a buddies farm, about three miles from mine, 8 of us went out the first Saturday of early season and limited out within an hour. We repeated that on the next day. I had never seen so many birds flying at one time. In my 20 years of dove hunting, I have only killed 8 white wing's.
    >
    Thanks, which part of the State is this ?

We have plenty doves in our yards in town. Our little town some 100 miles East of Orange has pne of the largest white wing colonies remaining in Louisiana these days. Every morning early, I see from 10 to 40 eating the grain I spread for them.

But finding doves to hunt out in the country is tough. My Cousins have over 1000 acres of planted rice, but very few doves during the season. Right after the early Fall harvest, every other species is there in large numbers, but not doves.

I’m frequently at El Campo in Wharton County and see very few there, so far this year.

leVieux

Top Bottom